Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 lug (Ford car pattern). 65 1/2 center.

Closest Northern Tool sells is 66.5 center :dumb:

Right now I'm getting 1000 miles to a set of tires before the outsides are worn into the belts. And it's getting tough to find decent 15" tires!
sorry!, but no cigar! have 2 used in good shape, but 4 lug and only 56".... I could extend either one but still only a 4 holer.... lol

Noodled some big pieces of that 40+" Oak I cut last year and did a lot of splitting today, mostly Red Oak and Hard Maple. I've done so much splitting and "wood handling" this week that I can barely close my left hand. Gonna have to give it a break! Started raining at the end of the day, so no pics.

I have also been seeing a disturbing # of Emerald Ash Bores, they seem to be everywhere. I have seen them in my back yard, where I am splitting the wood (also in Brewster) and up at the cabin (NE Catskills). Unfortunately, this does not bode well for the future of our Ash Trees, and they have always been one of my favorites.

What is that tree in the first pic?
Ash. notice how punky the one is that's butt is to the right, it wouldn't have lasted another yr.
The answer was hidden in the post;).
You did it chucker:numberone:
Noodled some big pieces of that 40+" Oak I cut last year and did a lot of splitting today, mostly Red Oak and Hard Maple. I've done so much splitting and "wood handling" this week that I can barely close my left hand. Gonna have to give it a break! Started raining at the end of the day, so no pics.

I have also been seeing a disturbing # of Emerald Ash Bores, they seem to be everywhere. I have seen them in my back yard, where I am splitting the wood (also in Brewster) and up at the cabin (NE Catskills). Unfortunately, this does not bode well for the future of our Ash Trees, and they have always been one of my favorites.
That's hard work there Mike.
Sorry to here about your hand:(, but take it easy for a bit and I'm sure it will be back to normal soon:).

That is a bummer, those things have wreaked havoc around here. Ash is not my favorite wood by any means, but it's sad to see the destruction the borers have done. I try to not let it get to me and remember that a lightening strike could set thousands of acres ablaze back a couple hundred yrs ago. I know that doesn't help us today, but in the grand scheme of things we are just taking a ride on this big planet and have very little control over what happens around us, but a lot more control of how we respond to it:yes:.
Here's one of your little buddies I took a picture of the other night. I thought it was a big carpenter ant as I see on now and then in the house, I think it may have been a bit confused about the laminate flooring as it was walking around like it was lost. We don't have ash here and the area is already nearly a total kill zone so I dont think much of transporting them here. 20160524_230323.jpg20160524_230558.jpg

5 lug (Ford car pattern). 65 1/2 center.

Closest Northern Tool sells is 66.5 center :dumb:

Right now I'm getting 1000 miles to a set of tires before the outsides are worn into the belts. And it's getting tough to find decent 15" tires!
put a ratchet strap over the middle of the axle and pull it till the rims are perpendicular to the axle/the ground. set a piece of angle on the top if you have whichever side you have enough room and then start tacking it on, them weld the whole thing. When you release the strap the tires will bow out just a bit which should be prefect for putting a load on.

I need to look into mine as I have about 10-15k on them and the backs are worn very bad:(.
The good thing is I've driven quite a few miles unlike yours.
I would also check craigslist for tires, and also call the junk yards.
If you ever come back out this way again let me know and I will set you up with some.

View attachment 505257 Close call with the Fiskars:surprised3:, it's still sharp... Splitting block was too high and round I was splitting was bigger diamater than block, bad combo.
That's why I don't split with my flip flops on anymore, or any less:surprised3:.
Glad the boots saved your toes Nate.
Great pictures in the other post as well.
Do you have any pictures of what's behind the woodshed on the other side of the tree line, I see a little outbuilding, and it looks to be blue skies or a river.
Way to be safe Buddy:).

Why would you let any of them go unless a better one comes along LOL
Well you'll never guess what happened, I'm selling the one ms460 LOL.
Something better came along:happy:.
I scrounged this up this morning.
Not a very busy week for wood scrounging, but a very good one for saw scrounging:clap:. You know what they say, when it rains it pours.20160527_121811.jpg

image.jpeg
That's why I don't split with my flip flops on anymore, or any less:surprised3:.
Glad the boots saved your toes Nate.
Great pictures in the other post as well.
Do you have any pictures of what's behind the woodshed on the other side of the tree line, I see a little outbuilding, and it looks to be blue skies or a river.
Way to be safe Buddy:).
Thanks chipper.
Actually there is blue sky and a river behind the wood shed. Hard to see the river it's under the fog, that was taken last fall, I will try to get you a better picture.

I paid less than $1500 for three brand new 460's. Can anybody tell me what good is chain speed. When the job need to get done at a reasonable pace my 056 super seems to be the right tool.

I have been working with the USFS for more than 30 years and it has been a very large challenge to wade through all the USDA personnel. To get my plan approved took a whole year. My last project has been ongoing for 5 years, but got hung up with details recently. However the scenery and the log piles are pretty nice. Thanks View attachment 505045 View attachment 505046 View attachment 505046

that sure is some pretty country! great mountain pix!

Took my daughter 2 hours to transfer the pics from my phone to the computer, and 2 calls to her husband (a computer tech). The new process is only about 10 times harder than the old one ... progress .... AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anyway, the Chestnut Oak I took down on Sunday (luckily with two helpers clearing brush, only took about an hour to drop it and cut to length).

(Tried to post 3 pics, the other 2 are too large!!!)

wow - imo worth the effort - good pix, nice buck! nice wood. nice green.

ck out http://resize.it/

Yours looks just like mine except the cracked cover.
A buddy gave mine to me, he bought it at Aldi food market, it's made in germany LOL.

As far as the chords, don't know what a chord is.
But I was just saying a bunch more of those and you'd have a cord, not minimizing the scrounge, it certainly fits in here as well as my tire did.
At least you know what you will do with the wood, the tire just got thrown on the pile of other wheels/tires I've found, maybe someday I will find the trailers and if I do you know I will post it here;).

>Yours looks just like mine except the cracked cover.

and u said new caliper, so that confused me, still don't know. but now ... many canoes under bridge. don't sweat if if u don't want to...

chords, as in music... j/k

I used some of that scrounge to bake me up some fine russet spuds... umm, yum! did u see the post in whats in ur chow line tonite? (what's for dinner?)

That EAB sucks from what I read. The BBC and British papers ran a story about it over here a few weeks ago. The eexperts reckon the European Ash will become extinct :( . A double attack from Borer which is marching relentlessly West across asia and is in to Europe at about Moscow, combined with Acute Ash Dieback, a fungal desease which has appeared across the cutting
Continent. Our little island has succumbed to AAD already..... poor import controls I suspect. Ash is our most common hedgerow tree and second most common woodland. Add in Oak wilt and Acute Oak Dieback also appearing on our Oaks, which thanks to Henry VIII is our most common woodland tree, and the English countryside is about to change for good :(

>Yours looks just like mine except the cracked cover.

and u said new caliper, so that confused me, still don't know. but now ... many canoes under bridge. don't sweat if if u don't want to...

chords, as in music... j/k

I used some of that scrounge to bake me up some fine russet spuds... umm, yum! did u see the post in whats in ur chow line tonite? (what's for dinner?)
It's called a vernier caliper, the tool you were measuring with in the post I had initially referenced the caliper in:).

I don't do chords, that's the wife, she has an angelic voice, and plays the piano. When she gets together and sings with her mom(mom plays the piano then) and sister they sing three part harmony that sounds incredible. I can't sing very well, but I can tell if someone else is off key, it's just like tuning a saw, "could you take that note a little higher, yes lean it out i said" :laughing:.

I saw the spuds in the GMT, they looked great. I love cooking in foil on hot coals.
I was thinking the other day about how most older recipes used 325 or 350 degrees, I find it interesting because coals will stay at that temp for hrs, coincidence I think not:barbecue:.
That was my wow moment this week as far as learning goes, well one of them:laugh:.

put a ratchet strap over the middle of the axle and pull it till the rims are perpendicular to the axle/the ground. set a piece of angle on the top if you have whichever side you have enough room and then start tacking it on, them weld the whole thing. When you release the strap the tires will bow out just a bit which should be prefect for putting a load on.

I need to look into mine as I have about 10-15k on them and the backs are worn very bad:(.
The good thing is I've driven quite a few miles unlike yours.
I would also check craigslist for tires, and also call the junk yards.
If you ever come back out this way again let me know and I will set you up with some.
The middle of the axle is bowed up. Would do the opposite if I pulled it up more....

Plus the hubs aren't perfect and both have blown bearings at some point....one with previous owner and one shortly after I got it.

when your a good person and need help! asking kindly like you and so many others do, it is a wonderful world with as many great members that we have here on "AS" to help out !!! asking no rewards, just pure "AMERICAN KINDNESS" !! see you in two weeks with a mac saw and bar(chain SO-so)......

It's called a vernier caliper, the tool you were measuring with in the post I had initially referenced the caliper in:).

ooh-h oic. got it! haha, it's called a what? oic, not a caliper per se by itself... caliper? hmm, guess he means brakes! lol.. well, I was waiting for someone to comment on the cracked window... that digital vernier caliper is my 10-cents Garage Sale Special! works perfectly, you know!!! came with box, case and original Operator's Manual... even humidity packets. man selling said it wasn't dropped, he had an item slip from his hands... bounce bounce and bang! then cracked window. was selling all his tools... selling or giving away and moving to retirement home... guess he liked my sob :cry: story... "but not with the busted window!" ' ok, how about a dime?' SOLD! :D so tell me chipster... now, do u really think I need to buy me a new one? lol :laughing: yes! 10-cents!!!! :p

the way I feel about it, he made me an offer I could not refuse... " so you want it, then?" :laugh:

yes, I will... take another :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back