Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those following this thread long term remembered the ~6.5 cords of tree service wood I scored this winter/spring from @chucker 's job three cabins down from mine.

Most tree services seem to purposely cut no two pieces of wood the same. Not the case with these guys!

After splitting 6.5 cords I had exactly 4 pieces that needed to be shortened to length. Did that this morning and washed up the splitter before putting it back in the garage.

Didn't run the old Mac today but swapped out the too long for my needs 24" bar and clapped out chipper chain with a shorter 20" bar and sparkly new loop of full chisel chain that I picked up from a fellow member.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Those following this thread long term remembered the ~6.5 cords of tree service wood I scored this winter/spring from @chucker 's job three cabins down from mine.

Most tree services seem to purposely cut no two pieces of wood the same. Not the case with these guys!

After splitting 6.5 cords I had exactly 4 pieces that needed to be shortened to length. Did that this morning and washed up the splitter before putting it back in the garage.

Didn't run the old Mac today but swapped out the too long for my needs 24" bar and clapped out chipper chain with a shorter 20" bar and sparkly new loop of full chisel chain that I picked up from a fellow member.

View attachment 521868 View attachment 521869 View attachment 521870 View attachment 521872
good that you could put the wood to use steve! other wise it "wood" have been in the dump to waste away!!

I love animals! In my scrounging efforts last year i found a woonded, and dying baby opossum. Cared for her and now she is grown, and lives with us and we are blessed to have her. She is my side kick and in my lap most of the time. We named her Lucy.
bf7fe517e1123fe72d7f3ed06bedd7a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I ended up getting a nice load today, but it wasn't like it was supposed to be, surprise lol.
Ran the 660, 044, 555, and the 2145 today.
They were all a blast, but the 2145 and the 555 were what I enjoyed the most today.20160827_131832.jpg20160827_082828.jpg And since your on the subtopic of animals who scrounge, or have been found while scrounging. @Haywire wasn't it you who was talking about the owls, well check that one:rolleyes: out. The tree we were supposed to be taking down was way bigger and had a much larger one, maybe next week, we'll see.
Also another scrounging bird I saw on the way home.20160827_123322.jpg20160827_123604(1).jpg

Wow you guys been busy! I know I said it before but I'll say it again great thread, great guys! Best on AS.
No firewood today but cut some more boards from my scrounged wood for the wood shed extension.image.jpegSquare filed the chain for the mill this time sure cut good. Have some ripping chain coming from bailys hopefully it will be even better.

Wow you guys been busy! I know I said it before but I'll say it again great thread, great guys! Best on AS.
No firewood today but cut some more boards from my scrounged wood for the wood shed extension.View attachment 521912Square filed the chain for the mill this time sure cut good. Have some ripping chain coming from bailys hopefully it will be even better.

one of my coworkers has a mill. He cuts hardwood lumber from what a tree removal brings him. Has really turned out to be quite a good business for him. Seems like it would be enjoyable to cut your own lumber at your own pace. Doing it at a big sawmill is a much different story as the bosses are never happy. Always want more, more and more. Faster, faster faster...600,000 board feet in 10 hours and still not enough...

one of my coworkers has a mill. He cuts hardwood lumber from what a tree removal brings him. Has really turned out to be quite a good business for him. Seems like it would be enjoyable to cut your own lumber at your own pace. Doing it at a big sawmill is a much different story as the bosses are never happy. Always want more, more and more. Faster, faster faster...600,000 board feet in 10 hours and still not enough...

Yes sir it is very enjoyable, being outside, working with wood and chainsaws, good chain that cuts straight and pretty much self feeds, working at your own pace making your own boards...yep.

And since your on the subtopic of animals who scrounge, or have been found while scrounging. @Haywire wasn't it you who was talking about the owls, well check that one:rolleyes: out. The tree we were supposed to be taking down was way bigger and had a much larger one, maybe next week, we'll see.
20160827_082828-jpg.521909

Yeah, that's a nice one!

Well I ended up getting a nice load today, but it wasn't like it was supposed to be, surprise lol.
Ran the 660, 044, 555, and the 2145 today.
They were all a blast, but the 2145 and the 555 were what I enjoyed the most today.View attachment 521908View attachment 521909 And since your on the subtopic of animals who scrounge, or have been found while scrounging. @Haywire wasn't it you who was talking about the owls, well check that one:rolleyes: out. The tree we were supposed to be taking down was way bigger and had a much larger one, maybe next week, we'll see.
Also another scrounging bird I saw on the way home.View attachment 521913View attachment 521914
How is the tongue weight on the trailer when loaded? Looks like it would be heavy.

Same cutter angle as regular cutting?

The narrow kerf rip has a different angle, (more shallow), but for square file I use the same angle for everything. It seems very versatile, cuts, rips and mills, all faster than round, and the milled boards are pretty smooth.

The narrow kerf rip has a different angle, (more shallow), but for square file I use the same angle for everything. It seems very versatile, cuts, rips and mills, all faster than round, and the milled boards are pretty smooth.
Gotta wonder how square file with a milling angle would do.

Back