smoking chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about stihl chain should we run a file over a new stihl chain?
I actually run 2 different files over a new chisel chain. Semi-chisel I run right off the roll
Here is my PS3

Attachments

• IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 55
Saw is still smoking chains, I had noticed the original chain was getting loose pretty quick, but didn't really use it much. I tried another woodland pro did the same thing. Put the original oregon chain back on still getting too hot.
It seems to get plenty of oil. I can spin the chain by hand and oil will run out of the oil slots.
Saw is brand new ( well almost) probably ran two tanks of gas thru it.
bar is not pinched, slots are not plugged, chain is not too tight.

I cleaned the bar spotless and ran little wires through the oil ports and used compressed air to make sure nothing is plugged. Has me stumped, other than if the sprocket is binding in the cut and loosening up when I remove from the wood....
It has the exact bar and chain on it that the owners manual says it should have

I will try to take a picture. But it has done this with three chains. Not as bad with the original oregon.
That chain is toast. When a insulator is in the middle of a log it's a little rough on the chain.
I am sure I haven't pinched the bar, the chain pulls freely on the bar and sprocket. Btw I'm no genius but have been using chainsaws since Dads brand new 1971 Homelite XL12. And I have about 17 saws.
I never ran into this before. I am sure it's something simple.
Almost forgot, newly felled white oak and hickory. Nothing dirty at all. No issues with the Dolmar 5100s or 55R or 044.
For some reason I really like using this Echo, and is getting to me that I can't figure it out.

Is there a reason why a 3/8 bar and chain isn't listed any where for this saw? I really wish I could run 3/8 72 dl chain on it. I have four other saws that run that.

Is there a reason why a 3/8 bar and chain isn't listed any where for this saw? I really wish I could run 3/8 72 dl chain on it. I have four other saws that run that.
There are a lot of threads on mounting 3/8 chain on 50 cc saws. Just because you can get one to fit, does not mean that it is an efficient combination.

On my 353 (similar specs) I run .325 narrow kerf chain - it is what it came with and works well. I have to assume that putting larger pitch chain on it would slow things down.

Any chance that your saw came with narrow kerf chain (Oregon 95, or Husqvarna 30), and the Carlton/Woodland Pro stuff you bought is standard kerf .325?

Philbert

It came with 20lpx78, which I am pretty sure is regular kerf. I ordered 20rc78 from Baileys which should be the same.
The original chain was getting hot and loose pretty fast, but not actually smoking in the cut.

I haven't greased a sprocket nose in a long time, maybe that is the problem. I always figured the oil would take care of it and the grease attracted grit.

Thanks Ray

The owners manual shows a 20F0PD3870. When I look it up. No longer available...

~ Snip ~
I haven't greased a sprocket nose in a long time, maybe that is the problem. I always figured the oil would take care of it and the grease attracted grit.

Not that things can't change, but I have hundreds of cuts and many, many tanks of fuel on sprocket nose bars that had grease holes which were never greased.

Just called Echo, customer service was a very nice clueless girl.... Did find out they discontinued the 3/8 bar. Anyone know what kind of mount that saw uses so I can use a Carlton or Oregon?
I assume it was made by oregon, but they dont show a cross over

Just talked to a extremely knowledgeable lady at Oregon. There is no longer a 3/8 bar for that saw. It is a unique echo mount..... She searched to see it there were still some leftovers in the system and came up empty. She certainly did try.
So can I modify another bar to fit and oil???

Thanks

Too high or off side to side can smoke a chain in a cut, are all your corners good on the cutters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back