Splicing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much to talk about! Girth hitching an eye splice... I don't know. I'll follow this up and send 2-4 split tails to Yale and ask them to break them for me. One or two they can break without the girth hitch, the others with a girth hitch. If you splice their rope and lay out a description of what you want tested, they are more than happy to do it for you. I don't know about Samson or New England, but I'm sure they will work with customers in the same way.

Splicing used rope... Everyone I've ever talked to says that you shouldn't splice rope even if you've used it once. Not because it's compromising strength, but because the fibers get so much tighter after use that splicing is, like Mike said, "quite a bit harder."

XTC colors... Tom's right. The color is the only difference. Yale is willing to make any set of colors you want, as long as it hasn't been done by anyone else. The colors that the Tree Climbing Team-USA are using cannot be manufactured for any other group. What you will use, you will have to decide for yourself, Sergio. :)

Stanley says not to use a splice if it isn't pretty. If it isn't pretty, there's probably something wrong. My friend showed him his first splice of a double braid, and Stanley said not to try using it. A: It was his first splice of double braid. B: It didn't look pretty. C: His nick-name is Jojo. D: Stanley said so.

I'm really sorry, but I haven't gotten our Shigo trip fully online yet. On the trip, though, the employees at Yale did a 16-strand splice in about 10 minutes. Stanley did his in front of us in less time than that. The tricks that these people employ are awesome - so time-efficient. I would highly recommend visiting a factory or watching Stanley at a trade show - bring a camera and questions!

X-man... Isn't Yale's certification only good for one year? I think it's strange that they charge $45 for something that you <i>may</i> not have spliced yourself, or entirely yourself, and make you do it every single year. I fully support a more comprehensive program and would be the first participate once it's offered.

Also, a 16-strand splice shouldn't be as hard as you're describing. Hollow braid is easy. Sixteen-strand is advanced. Double braid is tough stuff. Kernmantle is expert. Twelve-strand is lunancy (Tim, are you listening? Did you ever finish splicing that ArborPlex?). Yes, splices are great.

Nickrosis

Back