Splitter tank source?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwkr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an OLD Didier splitter that I am rebuilding. It has the stock 1 gallon hydraulic fluid tank and I'd like to upgrade to a 3 or 5 gallon tank. Any sources for those? The only ones I can find are at northern tool, and they cost too much..
I don't understand how the simplest component on the whole thing can be the most expensive. Maybe there is a cheaper way to buy one sold under a different use?

Also, there is no filter on this thing. It's been working fine for 40 years, should I worry about adding one?

27638490294_0722aea575_b.jpg

Scrap yard or junk yard. Lots of things use hydraulic tanks. Electric pallet carts and some have about a 2 to 3 gallon tank on them. Small forklifts, and other lifting equipment such as cherry pickers, car hoists etc. Lots of guys use old propane tank and just cut a hole and weld in the size bungs you want. I made my own tank for my big splitter.

orrrr, go to harbor freight,,and get a portable air tank,,and remove the small fittings with a hole saw,,and weld in larger ones.....blow out good with air compressor, to remove metal particles..i used the same tank,,for a blaster to pop tires up on a rim...

its an open system ( no pressure in the tank -vented to atmosphere) so just about anything that can hold liquid without leaking will work as long as the fittings can be installed on it.

An old propane tank from a grill would work (If you can weld).

If you can find one from an RV they are little bigger.

Or surplus center.com. They usually have better prices for hydraulic stuff than northern.

I second the propane tank, or maybe a old freon tank. First splitter I built, I used a freon tank that I got from a refrigeration guy. The big ones hold 5 gal. I would also consider adding a return filter since your machine doesnt have one. The whole filter kit doesnt cost that much and is cheap insurance

new portable air tanks,,are pressure tested to 300 lbs...propane tanks,,are tested to 1100 lbs....but I can just see someone being dead welding on a propane tank.....

The 20 lb propane tanks work fine, you have to get the valve out of the top, 3/4 npt, then wash inside with really soapy water. Drill two new holes & braze fittings in. Better than what came on the Didier. Pic of mine - DCP01259.jpg

My TSC doesn't have them and they cant order them. Must be old stock you saw. Thanks though!

Back