Square Grinding Smaller Chains like 3/8 LP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend of mine had been bugging me about grinding his .325 chain into a square configuration.

So he gave me the Carlton chain and I ground it square - no problem

I hung the chain on the nail and looked around on the other nails for other .325 chains. The first one that wasn't semi-chisel I came across was a Stihl .325 RS X .063.

The friend's chain was .050 so he couldn't use the Stihl chain but I put the chains beside each other and the cutter on the Stihl RS was much larger than on the Carlton. I found another .325 chain that was like my fiend's chain and it was a Oregon LG 33.

The cutters on these smaller .325 chains are like 3/8 Low Profile cutters.

OK, - So you guys already know about the small .325 chains . . .

But the moral to the story is . . . There is no reason the small cutters on Oregon .325 33LG and 3/8 LP chain cannot be ground square. In fact, they square up real quick as there isn't as much metal to remove.

All you have to do on the grinder is to dress the vertical angle on the stone more narrow. With the smaller chain cutter, the inside top plate angle is very sharp.

I have no clue as to how they cut for my only .325 saws are .063 Stihls. I do not own any 3/8 LP chainsaws.

I square grind all my 325" chisel chains-Oregon,Stihl, Carlton now. they cut very fast and seem to hold up just fine.
I just lead the wheel (R2 carriage adjustment) about 1" for 325". return it and lead only 1/4 inch for 3/8

A friend of mine had been bugging me about grinding his .325 chain into a square configuration.

So he gave me the Carlton chain and I ground it square - no problem

I hung the chain on the nail and looked around on the other nails for other .325 chains. The first one that wasn't semi-chisel I came across was a Stihl .325 RS X .063.

The friend's chain was .050 so he couldn't use the Stihl chain but I put the chains beside each other and the cutter on the Stihl RS was much larger than on the Carlton. I found another .325 chain that was like my fiend's chain and it was a Oregon LG 33.

The cutters on these smaller .325 chains are like 3/8 Low Profile cutters.

OK, - So you guys already know about the small .325 chains . . .

But the moral to the story is . . . There is no reason the small cutters on Oregon .325 33LG and 3/8 LP chain cannot be ground square. In fact, they square up real quick as there isn't as much metal to remove.

All you have to do on the grinder is to dress the vertical angle on the stone more narrow. With the smaller chain cutter, the inside top plate angle is very sharp.

I have no clue as to how they cut for my only .325 saws are .063 Stihls. I do not own any 3/8 LP chainsaws.

What kind of grinder are you using?

I have a early Silvey Swing Arm square grinder that looks like a Simington 450 square grinder

I just ground square some stihl 63 ps. Full chisel 3/8 low profile 0.050.
Will give it a try in a few weeks. Did not take much grinding with small cutters. Problem was getting a 12 inch loop to fit around the silvey pro sharp grinder.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Be sure and get back with a report for Stihl 3/8 Low Profile PS chain is the best chain of that size out there.
Show us some pictures of how it looked squared up?

Pictures

by4y2uvu.jpg

pasamepu.jpg

e3aba9as.jpg

It will be an ok work chain. Fun to play with.

I spent a solid 30 minutes yesterday at my local stealership trying to purchase two loops of 63 ps 50. The sales kid was determined to sell me the round top stuff that he had in stock. I finally convinced him to sell me what I wanted, and not what he thought that I needed. He priced me a 100' roll of 63 ps for $385 (plus tax). Is that MSRP? Seems pricey to me...... The 50dl loops were $16 each and should be here in a week or so.

I spent a solid 30 minutes yesterday at my local stealership trying to purchase two loops of 63 ps 50. The sales kid was determined to sell me the round top stuff that he had in stock. I finally convinced him to sell me what I wanted, and not what he thought that I needed. He priced me a 100' roll of 63 ps for $385 (plus tax). Is that MSRP? Seems pricey to me...... The 50dl loops were $16 each and should be here in a week or so.
If you'd like, I could find out from Madsens' what they charge. I'm sure it is a lot less.....I'd like some, and would split the reel with you. You'd have to pay the tax and shipping......

If you'd like, I could find out from Madsens' what they charge. I'm sure it is a lot less.....I'd like some, and would split the reel with you. You'd have to pay the tax and shipping......[/QUOTE

Yes. I would be glad to do this. Let me know. Thanks!

$16 for 50DL comes out to 32 cents a DL, My local dealer is .43 cents a DL. Therefore I refuse to buy chain there.
So a 50dl loop of 63 ps for $16 isn't terrible IMO.

Madsens will not ship stihl chain out of state. I tried. I think stihl raised the prices in January. Before that I think Madsen's was about $290 for 100ft plus shipping before the price increase. I just paid $385 for my last purchase of 63PS. I would love to get more. Local shop wants $450 to order it. Pm me if you are willing to ship some.

Latest posts

Back