Starting a business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for getting mad guys.... I can't take criticism, I admit it!
This is like my pole saw thread,,, I argued with guys on here for days that Poulans were cheaper and I was going to buy one. Guess what, I ended up getting a stihl.

How much is the dang climbing gear going to cost me? Just the minimum stuff to get me off the ground a little ways. A list with some prices would help out. Do I need one of those little arborist saws? I'm not a big fan of heights either. I can see your points and how I'll be way more effective If I can get my ass off the ground.

I don't have a clue how to use all the pulleys, ropes, spikes, etc. I assume I can rig all that up by myself? This is a one man show remember. Do I need to get a book or dvd on the subject?

What are some of the biggest dangers to look out for when doing this? I can't believe I'm actually considering this now!

Give it up Feller, You're just not cut out for this stuff.
Without the skill sets you mentioned above, you'll never make it.
A wise man knows when to cut his losses. :deadhorse:

Give it up Feller, You're just not cut out for this stuff.
Without the skill sets you mentioned above, you'll never make it.
A wise man knows when to cut his losses. :deadhorse:

Feller I hate to say it but reach is right. I have seen some long shots in my day but you are just too far out there. Based on what you know and how you want to operate I would consider something different.

Hang it up buddy, you're done. Fear of heights, check. There's your sign.

Perhaps not, I was afraid of hieghts somewhat, think about it, most people are. I just made myself do it, now its no big deal, and I have been over 180'. Buddy, as others have said, check out a decent tree service, maybe drag some brush for them, work hard and they will tell you lots, and you will see lots. Good luck to you.

I don't understand you guys.... What are you kidding me??? Are you guys seriously fuc&#@* with me???? I tell you what I'm planning on doing for my business and you say that isn't good enough. Rude,,, but Ok fine. You make the point that I need to get off the ground to make this operation work. I didn't agree at first but then I caved. I tell you I'm interested and ask for help and this is what I get? Everyone tells me to hang it up! Thanks for nothing.... I mean the help.

You're welcome.

If you're looking for partner, check out stihl alive.
If he's not too busy doing satellite dishes.

He's already got some spurs and topping experience.
I think you two would get along great. :cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah that would be cool if I could find some friends on here. Is this like a mental hazing I'm being put through before initiation? I suppose the next thing that's going to happen is one of you jokers is going to rub tar on my ballbag????

PS I'm rounding up all my forester and logger buddies in here and I'll be back. I've had enough of you damn certified arborists, your little saws, and big mouths. You're going to get hung with your own ropes!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah that would be cool if I could find some friends on here. Is this like a mental hazing I'm being put through before initiation? I suppose the next thing that's going to happen is one of you jokers is going to rub tar on my ballbag????

PS I'm rounding up all my forester and logger buddies in here and I'll be back. I've had enough of you damn certified arborists, your little saws, and big mouths. You're going to get hung with your own ropes!!!!

And do what??? Go around the continent beating us all up????

You want to know how much it would cost you. $150 for a basic saddle. $120 for a rope $50 for a lanyard. You can go old school with no biners and only knots. You do know how to tie knots, right? If in doubt, always use the Granny knot.

You can always use the logging chain as a lanyard as someone else on this board did when he was learning. And used a 440 as a pruning saw.

I don't understand you guys.... What are you kidding me??? Are you guys seriously fuc&#@* with me????

Most of us are wondering the same thing. All that has been said has been good advice. Try working for another tree service to see what it's all about.

Well I'm sick of getting ganged up on in here. I don't know what I said that makes me sound incompetent. I'm 28 years old, I'm willing to learn, and I'm a really hardworker. I've got at least 10 years of saw experience and I've been through the GOL. What am I missing?? I've got a four year degree in forestry. I know the degree doesn't mean crap to a lot of you high school graduates, but trust me it means the world to someone who has went through the bs of getting one. Getting legs for my forestry business is all I think about. Trees are my life. I can't go from point A to point B without trying to identify every single one I see. Then to come in here and listen to you guys crush all of that is pretty disheartening.

Who are you to say I can't climb. Yeah I said I wasn't a big fan of heights but I also wasn't a big fan of going to war. I had to do that. I can do anything I want, and I will. I think the biggest thing I can do for myself is to not listen to about 3/4 of you guys. If you have something positive and helpful to say then share it. If you want to be a ####head then you don't belong in here.

oh! Tree co with another smart ass comment!!! Come on guys keep them rolling in!!!

Ps. Tree co,,,, the know nothing questions are because I'm a beginner you captain obvious #### face.

Sorry for getting mad guys.... I can't take criticism, I admit it!
This is like my pole saw thread,,, I argued with guys on here for days that Poulans were cheaper and I was going to buy one. Guess what, I ended up getting a stihl.

How much is the dang climbing gear going to cost me? Just the minimum stuff to get me off the ground a little ways. A list with some prices would help out. Do I need one of those little arborist saws? I'm not a big fan of heights either. I can see your points and how I'll be way more effective If I can get my ass off the ground.

I don't have a clue how to use all the pulleys, ropes, spikes, etc. I assume I can rig all that up by myself? This is a one man show remember. Do I need to get a book or dvd on the subject?

What are some of the biggest dangers to look out for when doing this? I can't believe I'm actually considering this now!

Grab a Sherril catalog from your work, and start familiarizing (sp?) yourself with the products related to tree work.

Really I wouldn't recommend starting to buy gear til you've done a few things.
1. Buy and read the tree climbers companion. Then read it again.
2. Find a buddy somewhere to take you on a few practice climbs, if possible using different saddles and gear. Go to 10', come down, go to 20', come down again, go to 30' or so hang around for a few and come down again.

Learning to climb on your own can be done. But it's VERY VERY far from being the best, safest way. You'd be much better off to find someone to climb for you for a while, so you can watch, learn, and understand what's involved in climbing safely while your safe on the ground. Thats why you're hearing you should work for someone else for a while. If you can't do that, you're left with reading, watching videos, and wondering if what you saw was safe or not, and whether what you read was interpreted correctly.

What are the dangers?

1. Falling due to broken tie in point, falling due to cut lifeline, falling due to improper climbing procedures, or the worst one, falling due to tree failure below you.

2. Cutting yourself. Or worse, cutting yourself when you're not able to descend instantly.

3. Struck by..... Limbs, tops, blocks.....cutting the wrong piece at the wrong time, or in the wrong way can result in bad things, if you don't know what's going to happen when you cut and you get it wrong.

4. Electrocution. Power and trees are a very dangerous combination.

Also must be careful that whoever's on the ground isn't a "struck by" statistic either.

Some jobs are doable as a one man show, but a climber needs a groundie....you should be the groundie until you've got a much better understanding of climbing, and if/when you start climbing, you should have a climber grounding for you for a while, so they've got a chance to spot what you miss, and help you before something goes wrong. Also, it's best to be prepared for the worst case, and that means you'd need someone on the ground capable of rescuing you if you get in big trouble. Too many times a climber has died from a survivable situation because no rescue was available.

To be honest, you're a couple years from being effective as a climber, if you start learning now. (big difference between being in the tree, and being effective in the tree) For the time being, focus on forestry and tree service jobs you can do from the ground. Learn climbing slow and safe, and expand when you're capable of safe aerial work.

Hold on to and use your determination. But don't let it overcome your personal saftey, and the saftey of those who will be working with you.

Thanks for the info DDH that was what I was looking for. There's a serious need for more guys like you in here.

Thanks for the info DDH that was what I was looking for. There's a serious need for more guys like you in here.

Thanks, but others may disagree.....I myself am questioning whether the limited advice I've given has put you at greater or lesser risk.

These guys may be hard on you, but it's really for your own good. Have a read of my introductory thread here.......everybody takes their lumps at one time or another......

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32898

This thread is over. I'm not here to make enemies. I wanted some advice and I got it. You guys can be pretty harsh for sure. I know you have to be that way with people because this is a dangerous occupation. It is kind of dangerous to give a retard a big chainsaw and say go cut that tree down. Even more dangerous to give him ropes AND a saw and say climb that tree. You guys don't know me.... maybe I came across as being retarded.... I hope not. I value your input. Everyone has there own perspective. You guys do this stuff everyday I don't. I'll try and listen a little better in the future and not argue so much.

PS Tree Co,,,, you're cocky and I don't like you but I'll give you a 2nd chance if you give me one....

I've heard 8 balls are always a good reference. I never had one growing up... maybe that's why I'm confused 24/7.

This thread is over. I'm not here to make enemies. I wanted some advice and I got it. You guys can be pretty harsh for sure. I know you have to be that way with people because this is a dangerous occupation. It is kind of dangerous to give a retard a big chainsaw and say go cut that tree down. Even more dangerous to give him ropes AND a saw and say climb that tree. You guys don't know me.... maybe I came across as being retarded.... I hope not. I value your input. Everyone has there own perspective. You guys do this stuff everyday I don't. I'll try and listen a little better in the future and not argue so much.

PS Tree Co,,,, you're cocky and I don't like you but I'll give you a 2nd chance if you give me one....

No, just starting, at least til they ban The Dan again. What do the teach you at forester school anyway? Seriuosly. I don't know exactly. But whatever it is its NOT arboriculture is it? What exactly do you know about trees? what do you want to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back