Sten aftermarket piston and cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Have my eyes on an MS 440 that has new piston and cylinder made by Sten per the owner. He says he's used them before and never had a problem. Any thoughts? I'm a little uneasy about aftermarket pistons but figure someone has to make pistons for chainsaw manuf. I doubt they make their own pistons. Put in a bid but now I'm wondering if I jumped too soon.

We use a ton of Stens parts at work. Never had an issue. I'm not particularly sure about the p/c combos, but I'm sure that they would be fine.

figure someone has to make pistons for chainsaw manuf. I doubt they make their own pistons.

The Stihls and Husqvarnas use Mahle cylinders, don't they; I'd guess the pistons were Mahle, too.

Stens

I have used Stens p/c kits with no problem. Matter of favt the p/c I have for my pioneer 1074 came from Stens. Bought it 10 years ago but need the filter cover b4 i install it. Ok Pioneer guys don't beat me up to bad for getting the aftermarket kit. Couldn't find OEM p/c at the time.:dizzy::mad:

Ask Stens who made it. 90% chance it's the same POS Chinese P&C everyone else sells.

What they sold 10 years ago has nothing to do with what they sell today. That's the problem with any "in-house" brand.. they can change suppliers at will.

Last edited:
I've never gotten anything directly manufactured by Stens. Stens is a distributor, like Scottsco and Brown & Wiser. I did order three piston and cylinder kits for Stihl applications through Stens a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised to received Tecomec parts.

I've never gotten anything directly manufactured by Stens. Stens is a distributor, like Scottsco and Brown & Wiser. I did order three piston and cylinder kits for Stihl applications through Stens a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised to received Tecomec parts.

jacob what will it take to build these cylinders and pistons ?

what type of tools would be needed im just wondering

Have my eyes on an MS 440 that has new piston and cylinder made by Sten per the owner. He says he's used them before and never had a problem. Any thoughts? I'm a little uneasy about aftermarket pistons but figure someone has to make pistons for chainsaw manuf. I doubt they make their own pistons. Put in a bid but now I'm wondering if I jumped too soon.

stihl manufactures their own pistons/cylinders

Back