Stihl 029 Super Muffler Mod and the Quality of Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Strokn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 029 Super that I bought new approximately 15 years ago. I have cut A LOT of wood with this saw. I've never cut the saw any slack. I've been threatening to do a muffler mod on it for a few years now and today I finally got around to doing it. I removed the limiters on the carb so that I could do a proper tune after the muffler was opened up.

The first thing I did was remove the spark arrestor cover and subsequently the spark arrestor screen. I immediately noticed that there was NO CARBON on the screen. I attribute this to the fact that I have always ran good gas (no ethanol), fuel stabilizer, and synthetic oil (either Amsoil or Stihl Ultra). Of course the next thing I did was throw the spark arrestor screen away, lol.

I pulled the muffler off and looked at the piston. I halfway expected to see some wear just based on the amount of wood this saw has cut over the years. Alas, there was nothing visible. Looks great inside! This is a case for each and every one of you to use the synthetic mix oil.

I did some work on the muffler with a dremel and carbide cutter as well as a drill. I stayed out of the middle section because I did not want to bypass the baffle. I didn't want it to be stupid loud. I also cut back the opening on the spark arrestor cover plate. I put the saw back together and tuned the carb. Two things surprised me....First of all, it didn't need much richening on the carb to get it to "2 stroke" under no load. I expected I would have to adjust more than I did. The other surprising thing was the saw really wasn't that much louder. It sounds really good.

I didn't have anything to cut at the house. I have three decent sized trees to cut down later this week so I will give it the test then and make final carb adjustments. I expect a decent increase in power just based on what others have reported. I would love to hear what experiences any of you have had in muffler modding similar saws. Did you get much power increase? I attached a few pics to show what I did.

Attachments

• 2017-03-27 17.45.05.jpg
    2017-03-27 17.45.05.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • 2017-03-27 17.45.17.jpg
    2017-03-27 17.45.17.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • 2017-03-27 17.45.36.jpg
    2017-03-27 17.45.36.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • 2017-03-27 21.16.22.jpg
    2017-03-27 21.16.22.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
I like to put two 3/8th holes in the pan that you drilled around, but I do the same thing with the deflector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear the same thing fairly frequently.....I started sharpening chains for people this year, and I see all kinds of things LOl.......you know it's funny we are all saw obsessed on these forums obviously.....and when I hear people say a 290 is a boat anchor and the ms250 is a weak throw away I just chuckle....there are thousands of guys like you that have kept money in their pocket and their family warm with a "homeowner" series saw.....they work for what they were intended to do....

I have pro saws and I just love to rebuild and mess with chainsaws....I have a ms250 that my dad bought me new 6-7 years ago and it has been just great....I like you have cut a lot of wood with it, and just used the hell of it to be flat out honest....saw has never ever let me down!!!!

Like you I did a MM years ago and it did wake the saw up....I forget what size and how many hole I drilled in it....I did drill mine in the depressed area.....it's not that much louder, but I always wear my ear protection.....I also opened the "fins" with a big straight screw driver....you will see better throttle response and a little more power!!!

My dad came over a few weeks ago.....he seen the ms250 he bought me about 7-years ago....he asked if I still use it since I have all the other saws, I told him absolutely.....it is my small limbing/bucking saw when I am not using my 024/026.....it works just fine with the 18" bar on it......got to keep the chain sharp!!!!

Back