Stihl 034 Bar and Chain Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkshaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 034 AV with a 20 inch bar. The bar is about 20 years old. I flatten the edge periodically with a flat file. I went to buy a chain today and I am confused. I have a Stihl bar (20 inch) with a roller tip. My drive sprocket is 3/8. I have no idea if the bar slot is 0.5 or 0.63. Can you run a .5 chain on a .63 bar? Based on my guess using a spark plug gauge I think it's a .63.
If I get a new bar should I get a blunt nose or another roller tip. I cut firewood and do hobby farm stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Have the marking on the bar worn off near the saw spikes??

Roller tip unless cutting crappy stuff
All ways possible to run odd chainoff size but won't be advised so stick to what your old chains are/cheapest.

If. 050 you *could* but low pro on to mill with but not. 063

New bar could be <16" to create a ripper or 24" & muffler mod and possible skip chain for capacity.

Love my 660@20" normally 24" & up to 36"

Sent from my SM-T705Y using Tapatalk

Can you run a .5 chain on a .63 bar?
As Jimbo says, if you mean 0.050/0.063", then nope.
If you put an 050 chain on an 063 bar the chain will tip over in the bar chain slot and end up cutting a curve.
No big deal for a load of fire wood but it will eventually wear the bar and chain to the point where it will jam the bar in the cut.
Worse still if you persist in using it you may have to throw the bar and C away.
If I get a new bar should I get a blunt nose or another roller tip. I cut firewood and do hobby farm stuff.
It's called a "hard" nose rather than a blunt nose.
Roller noses have no teeth, just a roller, so they can be used on different pitch chains, these are getting harder and harder to find.
I think you mean "Sprocket" nose which has teeth. These are the safest nose as they require slightly less finessing with chain tension adjustment.

Back