Stihl 066 new to me. Need help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg_weaver

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Couple issues with my new to me saw.

1. When pulling full throttle it bogs down and cuts out. Turned the big screw seemed better but not 100%. Looks like gas is blowing out at full throttle when the filter is off. At like 95% throttle it rips. So looking for why it's doing this. In the picture I was turning the big screw to the left. Also was wondering what the sun means.
20a5c7e57552797f406ed171c7853940.jpg

2. The screw that tightens the chain seems to be stripped is that replaceable?
061f1852858426311e3b769e87951085.jpg

3. Leaks bar oil at the power head. Enough that causes concern. This is the oil I am using. Did I mention I'm using the saw to do some slabbing.
375f092d2ce38c4c14af2a4ac568aa28.jpg

Here is a pic. It has been sitting on this ratty table for an hour and a half.
d89e3e3d750cfb5f34aecfdcf16afa71.jpg

4. Not sure what this does by the spark plug it's like a little door that opens and closes several different options.
9314c1d578764b3e4de9f22f242bea54.jpg

cae55ac7e6ce63dc0643c18f3bc02abc.jpg

d16433c5bf4f77d7c3ce9a57531ea6fa.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1. Sounds like it's running lean.

2. Stripped, maybe. Is this a real Stihl or a Huztl clone?

3. Leaking, or coming out of the oiler hole? Bar oil is a wonderful thing. Are you using good bar oil?

1. Sounds like it's running lean.

2. Stripped, maybe. Is this a real Stihl or a Huztl clone?

3. Leaking, or coming out of the oiler hole? Bar oil is a wonderful thing. Are you using good bar oil?
Stripped is not the best term more like work down and hard to get a driver on it to tighten the chain as tight as I like.

The chain tensioner can be bought sparate from the whole unit. Its easy to do. The oil is probably coming from the oil hose under the pump. From use or neglect it probably widened a little so that it doesnt seat properly against your oil pump, maybe your oil pump is not tightened down all the way. The windows are probably for winter/summer use. The open position lets heat out in the summer. The big screw you refer to is the idle screw. It controls idle speed. The adjustment screws are above that, and as you're looking at the saw the Low screw will be to your right, the High speed screw will be to your left. As for the sun, its got to be a redlight thing, dont have a clue.

You have the[frankly] legendary 066 Redlight. Good one!

The adjuster can certainly be replaced, and easily. The bar oil leaking doesn't look excessive to me. A quick fix is to loosen, then retighten the oil cap after use.

May I politely suggest that an 066 red light is too nice a saw to be milling with. May I also suggest that the OP do a LOT of reading before going much further with carb adjustments. That's too nice of a saw to accidentally mess up from an inexperienced tune.
Red lights are that big of a deal. We are really just milling the one log for a new counter in the rv. I bought it for cutting firewood. Picked it up for 650. Came with:
4: 20 inch bars
1: 30 inch bar
25: 20" chains new
10: 20" chains used
5: 30" chains
5: 30" chains used
2: 6 packs of stihl oil
5: new filters
And a few other things I can't remember. He has another one for sale same set up and a 084 with a 36 inch bar and a ton of chains for sale for 750.

Think I got a good deal?

Want to sell it?
I'll replace it with a 660 that's better for what you are doing
I haven't even run it yet. My buddy was the one doing the milking. He only got have way through the first cut and it started acting funny so we went with my 290.....took a lot longer. But that thing always starts

Looking at my parts manual the chain tension adjuster is part of a spur gear kit part# 1125 007 1021. I have such a oem kit from a 066 red eye parts saw. Picture of the adjustment gear you need.

Attachments

• DSCN4228.JPG
    DSCN4228.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
Looking at my parts manual the chain tension adjuster is part of a spur gear kit part# 1125 007 1021. I have such a oem kit from a 066 red eye parts saw. Picture of the adjustment gear you need.
Is that something you would wanna let go of?

Counterclockwise like an 1/4 turn?

Back