Stihl 066 new to me. Need help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it idles and starts ok compression is fine.
Got a video of what it's doing?

Um was not sure on how to post a video. It starts fine and idles great. No issues there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If it starts and idles fine then there ain't much wrong.

I bet the plug wire is shorting out where it goes through the case or at the coil.

What might it be if it runs fine till it gets warm then starts to big down/cut out?

I won't get back to it till late tomorrow so busy with stuff that puts money in the bank and all.

To be honest I didn't know anything about it till last night when I read more about it on line. I'll check it out tomorrow.

My husky 2101xp was doing the same thing today. I changed out the fuel filter now its fine.

Most of the time if it runs fine cold but not hot it's fire.

If it was lean enough to bog out it wouldn't idle well and would have surely seized by now.

Needs a coil or some tape on a wire.

The bar adjusting screw just looks to have a "generous" lead angle to the slot. the flats still appear to be flat.
Is your scrench/screwdriver in good shape or rounded off?
lowhogs screw looks about the the same(picture is a bit dark though).

Try backing the bar nuts off about another 1/4 ~1/3 turn.
You shouldn't be having to put a lot of force against the adjuster.
the powerhead should slide, not be forced against the grip of the bar nuts.
When adjusting the chain tension, you should be able to wiggle the bar up and down behind the cover, but not floppy side to side.

The bar adjusting screw just looks to have a "generous" lead angle to the slot. the flats still appear to be flat.
Is your scrench/screwdriver in good shape or rounded off?
lowhogs screw looks about the the same(picture is a bit dark though).

Try backing the bar nuts off about another 1/4 ~1/3 turn.
You shouldn't be having to put a lot of force against the adjuster.
the powerhead should slide, not be forced against the grip of the bar nuts.
When adjusting the chain tension, you should be able to wiggle the bar up and down behind the cover, but not floppy side to side.
I'm using a brand new scrench and I have loosened the bar nuts off even more than that but can't get the chain tight like I like it. I understand what your say I g

Just buy a new gear and install it. I know what your talking about. I had a 460 that did the same thing. It looked alright but the chain tensioner was hogged out from use. wouldn't tighten up all the way without multiple tries at it, the scrench just kept popping out when you put pressure and rotational force on it. Bought another gear and she was good to go. If you buy another gear and you still cant get it adjusted, then your doing something wrong.

Totembear gave you a strait and useful answer.

whereas I tried searching here for some pics of the gear So I'd have a better idea of the wear points to ask about the condition.
and I just wasted everyones time for nothing.

Totembear gave you a strait and useful answer.

whereas I tried searching here for some pics of the gear So I'd have a better idea of the wear points to ask about the condition.
and I just wasted everyones time for nothing.

Nah, thats good advise to check to see if you're doing something wring, especially if you're new to saws. I know for myself I tried everything before I got the new gear for my 460. Thats the only way to tell if you need a new gear or not.

So here we have an update on the saw. Red light does in deed work. It has stopped bogging down which I feel better about. However the new issue is the smoke coming from the muffler. Seems to smoke after a little bit of running and it appears to be coming from there. Do i need to be worried about the piston?

I believe that indicates that you have the original, unlimited coil--very desirable.

I still maintain that you could sell the saw at a profit to a collector on here. Those saws are very sought-after, but are also getting old. So they require some TLC to keep running. If it gets an air leak and scorches the piston & cylinder, there goes a significant chunk of resale value.

Don't quote me on the coil stuff... I do t own a red light 066 and am just going from memory. Someone will chime in with more details.

Latest posts

Back