Stihl 290 awesome beast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up on milling with the 290.I just went to a certain site and ordered the Hawaiin 2.Cant wait to see what this butt kickin mean mutha will do while ripping some hard maple into 1x4 s.If it lives up to my expectations,I will be able to saw about 5000 board feet a day and build the home I have dreamed of for over 7 years and 4 months

Thanks for the heads up on milling with the 290.I just went to a certain site and ordered the Hawaiin 2.Cant wait to see what this butt kickin mean mutha will do while ripping some hard maple into 1x4 s.If it lives up to my expectations,I will be able to saw about 5000 board feet a day and build the home I have dreamed of for over 7 years and 4 months

No way buddy, who are ya????????:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Take the money you saved and buy a splitter. Your gonna need it for that six inch stuff.

I went today to buy a new chainsaw.I had my choices narrowed down to a 290 or 460 Stihl.My dealer told me that basically they were the same saw,just the 460 was bigger and would handle the longer bar.He told me the 290 would actually outcut the larger and heavier 460 in seasoned red oak,while the 460 would outcut the 290 in seasoned white oak.Since most of my cutting is seasoned red oak I opted for the 290.MANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is one cutting SOB!!!!!!!!!!Im truly impressed with the blazing chain speed and extremely light weight of this saw.The anti vibration system is truly top notch while the plastic engine housing is indestructable.I asked my dealer,and he said that no one anywhere in the entire world has ever stripped out a screw while bolting the starter housing back on .My opinions on this saw? Just plain awesome.Compared to my ### kickin Super 2 Homelite,you cant beat this beast.Sure,I could have spent an extra $400 and got a saw that would have been heavier and slower cutting in red oak.The long 18" bar of the 460 was tempting,but really was unnecessary since most of my cutting is in medium sized timber,mostly 4-6 inches.Id love to hear any comments on this monster they call the 290,please share your thoughts and input

What in the wide wide world of chainsaws is he talking about?:jawdrop: :dizzy:
I guess that means a 290 can out cut a 880 in bodark! He!! its only Wednesday. What have you been smokin?

I'm sure this guy went to a different kind of dealer. ;)

In all seriousness, if your dealer really told you this he is the one who is extra special.

I just got back from the Home Depot. The guy in the gardening section told me that the Wild Thing would outcut the 372XP in Cottonwood and Poplar.

thanks for all the interest in my new saw.Hopefully in the next few days I can give yall some stats on some timed cuts versus other saws.They are cutting a stand of veneer timber close to my house,so maybe some of the loggers will allow me to fell some of the trees with this beast so I can give yall timed felling and timed bucking cuts.I need to bone up on felling methods though,and hopefully I will learn what a notch cut is before offering to fell their timber for them.

thanks for all the interest in my new saw.Hopefully in the next few days I can give yall some stats on some timed cuts versus other saws.They are cutting a stand of veneer timber close to my house,so maybe some of the loggers will allow me to fell some of the trees with this beast so I can give yall timed felling and timed bucking cuts.I need to bone up on felling methods though,and hopefully I will learn what a notch cut is before offering to fell their timber for them.

why dont you wear big red shoes, and polka dots when you go so at least you can blame their :ices_rofl: on your outfit rather than "that beast of a saw"

I wouldnt bother learning before you go...just grip it and rip it. Experience is the best way to learn.

:buttkick: I'm sure if you show up on site with your 'beast' that they will be happy to instruct you in what to do with it

Back