You all tried to warn me: Upgraded to a pro-saw - MS362C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShneaSIG

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Something like 6 years ago, I acquired a Stihl MS290 Farmboss, and you folks kindly patted me on the shoulder and said, "good for you, but just wait until you get a REAL saw." I happily sawed along for the last 6 years, with the 290 doing everything I ever asked of it. We cut a lot of wood together. :) But... my lusty eye for other saws kept wandering the whole time.

Then, two weeks ago, my dad ends up with 4 big ole' oak trees down on his property. We spent a weekend working on them (with the 290 performing just as it should). My good buddy was kind enough to come along to help, and his little homeowner Homelite saw recently died. A short discussion later, and I've sold him my 290. He gets a good, reliable saw at a reasonable price, and I get to go shopping!

So, off to the Stihl dealer I go, with some lessons learned from the 290.

1) I like running a 20" bar. When I need to limb, I actually prefer to do so with the pole pruner attachment on my Stihl Kombi. The 290 needed to be nursed a bit when cutting with a 20" bar and in big wood, so enough power to be more handy with a 20" bar would be nice.

2) Weight: at 13ish pounds, the 290 falls rather flat compared to modern saws' power to weight ratios. But, 13lbs is a good weight limit for me. Any heavier and I'll get worn out too quickly, so lighter would be optimal.

3) Max bar length, revisited. With the 290, 20" is as big as Stihl recommends. For the most part, that was enough bar to cut anything that I come across, so long as I can cut on both sides. But, the ability to run a longer bar is a nice consideration, if somewhat secondary.

4) At this point, I'm still looking for one "do it all" saw. Those 201s sure look purdy... but... no, not yet.

5) Who am I kidding? This time around, I only have eyes for the "Pro" saws. I don't need a pro saw, but I want one, and it's about to be my birthday, and the sun is shining, and [insert justifications here], and I'm a grown-ass man, so... I'm getting a pro saw!

Oh, and I'm a Stihl devotee. Sorry, nothing against other brands and saws - there's lots of mighty fine equipment out there, but Stihls are my jam.

So, it was really coming down to one of these three: 261, 362, or 462

I ruled out the 462 because it was too much saw to be my one and only, and I'd end up buying a 201T or a 241 as well. While that's the choice/combo that would have made me the happiest, I just didn't want to spend that kind of coin.

The 261? Such a nice size and weight. It felt really, really good to me. Words like "nimble" and "svelte" are appropriate.

The 362? A little bigger and heavier than the 261, but still lighter than the 290... and I can go up to a 25" bar? Alllllmost a full horsepower more than the 290, too.

So, after some on the spot deliberation, the 362C won out.

I got 25" and 20" bars, and 2 chains for each bar.

This weekend, it will be fed a steady diet of red oaks to break in.

The 290 is on the right - it's noticeably bigger than the 362.IMG_20190525_141004.jpg

It's too clean! That won't last long!IMG_20190525_205045.jpg

So, to all you prophets who foretold of this day, thank you!:D

Sigh. I was afraid of that. I do like my wife, though, and consider staying married a plus. I had a permission slip for one saw. Coming home with two would have made life rather difficult!

Like others say, you should got the 462 not the 362....You should come here and ask questions before go and buy...
But again, if that make you happy, then don't worry.

I sounds to me that you picked the right saw! The 362 is not too expensive, it handles a 20" bar just fine and 25" if necessary and as you already figured out, it will serve you better when having only one saw. Now, if you were on a 2-saw plan that would be a different thing. However I must admit I have not run the 462 but a have a few other Stihl saws. Among them a 362 C-M.

Sigh. I was afraid of that. I do like my wife, though, and consider staying married a plus. I had a permission slip for one saw. Coming home with two would have made life rather difficult!

Don't listen to the guys in here,they are able to make someone believe that a 3120xp is the right saw to cut a few cords per year.I'm just kidding.Congrats on the saw.

I think you made the right choice. I have a 362, 241, and a 201t and the 362 is probably my favorite. Like you I don’t have a good excuse to own a Pro saw. I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t chew but I bring Stihl power tools home by the car load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bought the right saw for you.

The 462 is a completely unknown entity with impressive specs. Over the next couple of years we’ll see what is what on that saw.

The guys recommending the 462 always recommend the latest and greatest (somehow connected with the mfrs, they are)...sometimes they eat crow. Often, actually.

He can always get the 362 ported! I’ve got a 361 next in line on my bench now with a goal to beat a stock 440 through 18” wood. (Have to finish my parts bin Ported 3400 first) I was gonna sell the little guy but seems like too fun a project to pass up.
I think you bought the best saw in the world for a non pro that does some real work now and then.

Back