Stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrhunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a call from one of my local stihl dealers today. He has a 460 with a 36 inch bar for $350.00. I am going to look at it on Monday. Is it worth it?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah it's a great price if it's in decent shape and runs. Buy it with the 36" bar so your not haggling over a bar sell the bar later on or keep it if you ever run into a wicked situation were it would be needed. Just my two cents.

Buy the saw, and I'll swap you a 20" bar/chain combo and a little cash...

how did murph not answer your question. you asked if it was worth it. he said that was a VERY good price. It is a VERY GOOD PRICE, even if its in chitty condition. thats a 500-550 dollar saw all day long. (in running condition not smashed by a tree)

If the saw has good compression and runs well, it is a steal, even w/o the bar, and porting really wakes those things up.

For general use, a bar from 20 - 28" would likely be more practical, but nice to have that long one available if U ever need it.

The air filter & muff mods make a nice difference in performance on those saws.

Well, I stopped by the Stihl dealer today after work. It turned out to be an 046 instead. It started and ran good, only thing missing was the model number sign on top of the filter cover. Pictures coming tomorrow. The 36" bar makes it really nose heavy. A 24 would be much better, I think.

Happy ending, Yeah!!! Curious what UR SN is, the first year saws (046s) had better port timing, and ran stronger.

Also, does it have carb limiters? (the tune instructions, often on the air filter cover, will give an indication)?

Great score, wish I were so lucky! UR going to like this saw, and for the money, GREAT!

We need pics!

I do like the 24" bar on mine.

Back