Stihl MS180 - High Engine Vibration?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I just received an MS180 to fix the usual fuel & oil leak(s). I test ran it and it seemed to run and cut fine. I did, however, notice a large amount of engine vibration.

How much vibration? Well, I found the top pin on the clutch cover closest to the muffler had ultrasonically welded itself to the main housing. I also found that the throttle rod had peened the carb throttle lever such that it wouldn't come loose without significant contortions and force.

Any suggestions as to what to look for for the source of the vibration? The only things that come to mind are the collected crud on the flywheel (both sides). Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Steve

I've seen twisted cranks cause some funny stuff. However they usually don't run for long. Unless not tweaked much. I am also aware of the rod for piston crank are very weak and could cause lots of issues if it base bent some. Other then that I couldn't tell you.

Thats no vibration! That is the awesome 17,500 rpm's:surprised3: burred in oak that you be feeling! :D
Check the rubber av mounts. The linkage might be from a loose carb, or the 17,500 rpm's of pure powa!!!!! :rolleyes:

I recently worked on a MS170 and don't recall the same vibration issue. Granted that this engine is different (+2cc larger) than the 170.

Every single one I have run buzzes like a damn bumblebee. I hate the way they vibrate and sound...very poor quality saws.

One would think that Stihl would know how to balance an engine.

But the 170/180 is the complete bottom of the drawer lineup of Stihl saws. Basically sold to uninformed customers thinking Stihl = good.

Latest posts

Back