Stihl ms200t bolt for bolt rebuild video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Part one of the vid is up. I haven't gotten done filming the whole thing yet, but I figured i'd post the pieces as I got them.

this will likely be a 4 or 5 parter.... I appologize in advance for the boredom...and for the fact that this is my first experience w/ these saws.

its up in HD now...good

Nice job on the video, I'm sure this will help a lot of guys. I couldn't tell if they came off or not but the two muffler screws also have washers. They sometimes get stuck and stay in the muffler. Also, the reason for the two types of screws in the starter cover is that the two machine screws will go into the metal case and the other two are for screwing into the plastic fuel tank.
Looking forward to the next video.

Thanks for note on muffler bolts. I'll try to make a note in the next vid.

I did notice the two different materials for the case and the gas tank hence the two different thread sizes but it's still silly and not to mention confusing

So far though this seems to be pretty straightforward build

I'm curious to see how it turns out. I've yet to hear of anyone that can really get any more out of these saws than they already give but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. There is a reason they have a good reputation though.

I've noticed the outlet on the muffler is extremely tiny and I've filed it to almost double the size and it made a very noticeable difference in overall power.
I don't have enough experience with these to know if there is an epa muffler or not. I would say if there is a non epa muffler with a larger opening than the one I worked on then just leave it as it is.

I can't find my notes on serial numbers, but there is supposed to be a cut off for when they upgraded the carburetor. The S61E is the old carb and is prone to failure. I'm unsure of whether an upgrade was made on performance. Maybe one of the fine chaps around here can chime in for specifics on that?

I'll have a look and see what I can do :)
Watching your vid with interest. These little saws come apart with ease an go back together with ease as well. Take the top handle off and you're pretty much holding the motor in your hand. Common problems are the intake boot and the accelerator pump failure in the carb. Check the fuel lines, impulse, take out the spark arrestor and you will see why these have a cult following.

Part 2 is up!
I have seen some of your posts and videos on the Husky 350, learned a lot and I thank you for that. After you do a few of these ms200t's you will be impressed with how easy and fast they are to work on. They really don't need a lot of messing with to get good performance from them, pretty good right outa the box. There is no better top handle made, even the diehard husky guys will tell you the same.

I'm not sure how many ultimately i'll do. I've got these 2 on the bench. We'll see how much futher I go with this chainsaw stuff. Right about now its about time for me to move on, but these chainsaws seem to have a way of sucking you back in. :)

Thanks!

i'm workin hard on this youtube stuff too, i'm still a newbie at it, but I'm finally starting to see some $$ returns from youtube... which is nice. this vid was easy, albeit shaky, but the 30 min videos take hours and hours to just cut and paste edit....

whats really fun for me is that I actually use my own vids as a reference... often!

feel free to ask questions anytime!

I'm curious why you choose to mill the case, rather than turn the base of the cylinder, especially considering how thin the base is on this particular model. It also seems to me that it's a LOT more work to do it this way. Just my opinion and curious on your reasoning.

#1, I don't feel like cutting squishband... even though it increases compression, I can get mostly there with one cut, instead of cutting squishband AND base...

#2, yes, this model has a small/thin base, but its still stronger than the flanges on the cylinder head itself.....NOT machining the base on the head means I'm not weakening the head...

#3, I can still run a gasket.

#4, it took me 30 minutes to mount, indicate and cut this... and I could probably do it faster once I get used to these....

#5, I don't feel like chucking it up on the lathe :)

Back