Stihl MS201T Replacing the 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever ran a 200T or the rear handle version? I didn't think the T was all that easy to handle with the poor handle spacing, but it was designed mainly for one hand use. Too close together for me and I quickly found out how kick back prone they are. The T is about as light as they get for a saw that can be dropped from a bucket and survive the impact. Not sure how Stihl could trim down that tubbyass little saw without giving up it's ruggedness.

The 261 gained weight over the 260 and I couldn't believe all the whinning about how the added weight ruined it as a serious limber. Well, we all know how that has turned out and some of the biggest critics became the loudest to sing it's praises.

I distinctly remember some guy on this site saying that the extra weight of the 261 was a "deal breaker" and then after purchasing one remarked that it felt lighter then it's competition. I also remember a video that was posted here and at some point in that video the phrase "get that old king outta here" was uttered in reference to the 346XP. Apparently the extra weight was no longer an issue.

But carry on, I love these threads.

The 200T is not a great limbing saw.. and frankly if on ground there are better saws.

But if in a tree, you won't find a better one out there..

I was hopeful they would lower the price with the new model - but apparently no.

The MS200 & MS200T are a rip-off.

I'll stick with my trusty Echo CS-341 for 1/3rd the price and if it breaks, but another one and still come out ahead of the MS200 rip-off price.

Bill

I was hopeful they would lower the price with the new model - but apparently no.

The MS200 & MS200T are a rip-off.

I'll stick with my trusty Echo CS-341 for 1/3rd the price and if it breaks, but another one and still come out ahead of the MS200 rip-off price.

But Why Would They Lower It?

It is the best top handled tree saw .. and they know people will buy it.

The 341T is not half the saw.. about equal to the 192T in power IMHO. We had one as a backup saw.. sold it. Have 330T still.. but will sell that in 2011 -- buying another 200T and will have older model 200T as backup.

I have no other info.

1163532153_H47PQ-L.jpg

Thanks!

...and I hate that they only mention the PMC3 chain, as that obviously isn't optimal!

But Why Would They Lower It?

It is the best top handled tree saw .. and they know people will buy it.

The 341T is not half the saw.. about equal to the 192T in power IMHO. We had one as a backup saw.. sold it. Have 330T still.. but will sell that in 2011 -- buying another 200T and will have older model 200T as backup.

I'm with you TreeClimber. Sure other top handles will work for ground work if you want to go that route, but when it comes doing a removal the 200t is tops. Some other climbers may have different opinions, and thats fine, but for the most part it is the go to saw.

Well my approximation stands corrected,but the sentiment is the same.There is no single model where weight is such a factor as with these little saws.12%,14%,whatever.We should be reading these specs as a DECREASE,but old man EPA sez they gotta be heavier........

Have you ever ran a 200T or the rear handle version? I didn't think the T was all that easy to handle with the poor handle spacing, but it was designed mainly for one hand use. Too close together for me and I quickly found out how kick back prone they are. .

Nah a top handle saw is designed for two hand use, you only use one hand when there's no other choice. Bad technique is what gives kickbacks, top handle saws are perfect for ground work as well as up the tree

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MCwjhCp3GAA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

well, if Stihl guys were to come to your home, take your 200T and replace it with the new and heavy 201T, I think you should be worried.
but so, who knows? the new one might be better.
and if you still feel for the old 200T, they are still available,are they not?
I wonder myself how the replacement of the 346XP looks like? much like the 562 ???
Cheers.

I'm with you TreeClimber. Sure other top handles will work for ground work if you want to go that route, but when it comes doing a removal the 200t is tops. Some other climbers may have different opinions, and thats fine, but for the most part it is the go to saw.

Oh there are several other top handled saws out there, some quite good actually. But none quite as good as the 200T.. will be a tough road to follow with the 201T.. will they be able to keep that spot.. or will they be nudged aside a bit. Lots of others trying hard to get that spot.. and changes in things like weight can sure make the saw potentially somewhat more undesirable. Only time will tell.

I can't see the extra weight being a good thing at all. Up top every little bit counts, maybe more in the mind, but when selling a saw that is where it counts most. If the power is the same, or better, that will help. I'll take a slightly heavier saw up if I know it will work faster, or do more before I have to bring up an even bigger saw. I'd work with the 200T or 192T and then when they were too small I called for the 361, if you can't have light weight you go with fast cutting.

I think there is a huge chance for others to break into the market here.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back