Which saw to replace a Stihl 015L?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trouser chili

Reaction score
I've got a wonderful little Stihl 015L that's seen occasional homeowner-type use over the last 28 years. It still runs and looks great, but finding parts for it is a bear anymore. It raises alot of eyebrows at my local dealer, and I even have offers to buy it from one as a display piece. It's in really nice shape I guess. Regardless, I'm looking for a saw to replace it. I want a kickback brake, more power, and a longer blade. I like tophandles, as most my work is tight trimming, although occasionally I'll be felling whole trees. In fact I've got four 25 year-old Bradford Pear trees to take down next month.

I found a new Stihl 009L that I really liked for $249, but I'm getting the impression that the saw is being or has been discontinued. Is it worth it to move up to a MS 200T? I liked the handle placement of the 009L more than the 200T. The 009L seemed to have more of a hybrid handle placement between a typical tophandle and typical backhandle chainsaw. It was compact enough for the work I want it for, but still allowed for a good amount of torque to be placed on the blade. I've read here on these forums that the 200T still cuts faster though.

Oh yeah, anyone ever take down a Palm tree? I'm currently at my father's house in Florida and he's got two dead ones that need to be taken down. All I've got is my 015L with a 14-inch bar. The trees are are closer to 17 inches. This also has me thinking a new saw with a longer bar would be better. I've never cut logs thicker than my bar, and I'm afraid this is going to want to make the saw kickback alot. My old 015L doesn't really have any protection for kickback.

Last edited:
The 015 was made for Stihl by Solo, wasn't it?

Have you considered the rear-handle MS200?
It should be a bit safer to use for ground work than a top-handle.

For homeowner use, a top handled saw is not a wise choice. nor is an expensive saw. Look into some of the 7-9 lb rear handled saws. Redmax makes a good one, as do Efco and Shindaiwa. The Stihl MS-170 and 180 are a bit heavier, I think, as are the 137 and 142 Huskys, but there'll all adequate little saws. The new Echos underwhelm, though I have never seen one. The older Echos, like the 3450, would be what I would look for. You might still be able to find a new one, but again, parts availability could become an issue down the road a fe years. The Husky 336 is a good saw, and a lot cheaper than the MS200, but more dollars than all the others.

I agree that tophandle saws are usually a poor choice for the occasional user and for use as a primary saw. That said, I completely agree with the compactness and ease-of-use arguments. And I routinely use a top handle saw on the ground, too.

With that out of the way, I would agree that a $550 for an MS200T top handle is really money wasted. For that price you could buy two saws - a decent little top handle and a larger saw like a Stihl MS250 or MS290 and have all your present and forseeable future needs covered. If you were willing to venture away from Stihl, a Redmax top handle and a Husqvarna 350 would come in right about at $500 and would give you the option of running up to a 20" bar on the 350 if you needed to. And buying these two would undoubtedly be a MUCH better investment than just buying an MS200 or MS200T.

If I were buying a single saw to replace the 015L and the 015L was more-or-less meeting my needs already, I'd seriously consider an Echo 3450 while you can still get one. Even with the tail-handle setup they are light and nimble, and those little Echos are torquey, durable, reliable little saws. Plus, they are the most tolerant of neglect of any saw I've ever used. They won't win any speed contests, but hey, that's what larger saws are for. The new Echo CS-370 also looks interesting, too.

Other saws worth looking at that are a slight step-up from the 015L have been mentioned already. You may also want to consider looking at well-maintained used saws, too. Ask your dealer - lots of them take saws in on trade, inspect them, and then re-sell them. They just dont' usually have 'em sitting out on the sales floor.

trouser chili said:
Oh yeah, anyone ever take down a Palm tree?
Ekka-Palmslayer has some very good video footage felling palms in the video section of this site.

rbtree said:
For homeowner use, a top handled saw is not a wise choice. nor is an expensive saw. Look into some of the 7-9 lb rear handled saws. Redmax makes a good one, as do Efco and Shindaiwa. The Stihl MS-170 and 180 are a bit heavier, I think, as are the 137 and 142 Huskys, but there'll all adequate little saws. The new Echos underwhelm, though I have never seen one. The older Echos, like the 3450, would be what I would look for. You might still be able to find a new one, but again, parts availability could become an issue down the road a fe years. The Husky 336 is a good saw, and a lot cheaper than the MS200, but more dollars than all the others.

Yes, the 192T not a good homeowner saw... Maybe I misread the orginal text and had assumed the user has owned the 015L (top handled saw) for 28 years...

Get an MS180.. $200.

Lakeside53 said:
Yes, the 192T not a good homeowner saw... Maybe I misread the orginal text and had assumed the user has owned the 015L (top handled saw) for 28 years...

Get an MS180.. $200.

It was my father's saw before me, that chainsaw and I were both born the same year. Anyway I've been running it the past 10 years or so. Maybe a bit longer. Mostly I do trimming stuff with it, and cutting hickory logs into chunks for my smoker. I fall maybe one tree a year.

Anyone have any opinions on the 009L?

trouser chili said:
Anyone have any opinions on the 009L?

Most people seem to like 'em, some really love 'em - they have quite a cult following, it seems. They don't have modern anti-vibration features, but they have a reliable and torque-happy little motor. It should run fine with a 16" bar. I'm sure that one would work just fine for your purposes, seeing as the 015L has met most of your needs so far.

rbtree said:
.... The Husky 336 is a good saw, and a lot cheaper than the MS200, but more dollars than all the others.
The 336 is probably a good choise.

Where is Mike Maas??? As I remember it, he uses and likes the 336.

Back