Stihl MS201T Replacing the 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If echo improved the brake and upped the cc a tad, it could be a threat to the tubby 201t.

Might be.. but bought myself another 200T yesterday.. will be in on Tuesday likely.

Now if husky make the 346xpt THAT would friggen ROCK!
Bring on the husky 346 tophandle! Let fly the dogs of takedowns!

:)

One think to ponder is the fuel loading for the 201t, if its more thrifty on fuel, perhaps you will be carrying less fuel weight to get the job done.

Now the fuel weight isn't that bad.

Tank holds 0.37 litres.
Gasoline - depending on blend, temperature, etc weighs between 0.71 to 0.77 kg per litre.
So a tank would weigh between 0.26 to 0.28 kg or around 0.6 lbs. Now that is significant - but point I guess is how much could they trim off of that.. realistically.

Yup, you read that right. The MS200T is being replaced with the 201T mid 2011.
35 cc
2.3 bhp
9.04 lbs

For comparison, the 200T is
35.22 cc
2.1 bhp
7.9 lbs

I'm afraid it's not going to fair well that the new 201T weighs 14% more than the 200T. Looks like price will be the same.

Maybe Stihl is actually taking the high road here and being honest and accurate about the specs. I'm sure the T540xp is being exaggerated as per usual, but this may not be the right time for Stihl to decide to play a different game.

If echo improved the brake and upped the cc a tad, it could be a threat to the tubby 201t.

The new CS-355T has a different brake handle (it has been opened up instead of solid). The cc is slightly lower but the rated power is up and weight down vs. the CS-360T, however only time will tell how it performs in real life. It also has a redesigned (lower profile) air filter box, handle (different angle), controls, carry ring.

On a side note, I did see mention in "another" forum that the weight that is circulating for the 201T is a mistake, and is actually the weight for the rear handle version.

congrats on new 200T... you probably already know how to do this. but take a few extra minutes, dump fuel .. then let idle until spare 200T dies. you'll be glad you did...

with carb dry, doesn't matter if next use is next week or next year.

Just picked up new 200T yesterday.. so now gotta go out and give it a whirl today.

Old one will remain a spare.

well that's good news... so what's the correct weight?

On a side note, I did see mention in "another" forum that the weight that is circulating for the 201T is a mistake, and is actually the weight for the rear handle version.

Last edited:
congrats on new 200T... you probably already know how to do this. but take a few extra minutes, dump fuel .. then let idle until spare 200T dies. you'll be glad you did...

I read 2 ounces more and another guy said 5 ounces.

Yeah, 8.4lbs is what I heard.

Not too bad afterall then. Tear the heavy clumsy nuisance chainbrake off, run a nicely balanced 12" bar, she'd be good to go.

this is great. I was considering making a top handle saw thread for the last couple of days, but this fits the bill. I want to see all the top contenders. I haven't seen the redmax one yet (3500). Anyone know anything about the efco th?

Other top handle saws to discuss and to consider

My first th was a metal Poulan woodsman 1800. Restored it in 1998 and sold it and missed it soon after. Then came Echo th's, then a MS200T and then Tanaka 3301. A friend loaned me his Tanaka 3401 but it is heavier and the switch and choke are not a convenient as the smaller model. I keep going back to Echo saws because they are fairly easy to repair, rebuild and parts are available.

Is the Shindaiwa 357 out of the US market? I have not had the pleasure of running one.
What is the Redmax all about? Does it have a Robin engine?

Does the existing MS200T chain fit the new MS201T chainsaw? I understand the new saw comes with a new design of chain.

I have no other info.

1163532153_H47PQ-L.jpg

Well at least with the extra weight they managed to squeak out almost 10% more BHP.

Does the existing MS200T chain fit the new MS201T chainsaw? I understand the new saw comes with a new design of chain.

The new chain is PS3 or Pico Super. If I understand correctly it fits existing saws.

Picco Super 3 (PS3) - The first ever 3/8" Picco chisel tooth saw chain in the world

New STIHL Innovation: the first ever 3/8" Picco chisel tooth saw chain in the world. Considerably greater cutting performance. Quiet operation, excellent biting characteristics, very clean cutting surface, low-vibration. Low feed forces make this the ideal saw chain for arborists.

Technical data
Drive link gauge 1.3 mm
Pitch 3/8 P inch

Here is short thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/167762.htm

I have requested brochure, Stihl says it will be emailed to me on June 10th - which is official launch date (at least in some countries).

Back