Stripped stud hole--Homelite super xl 67

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dader

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the muffler mounting holes on the cyl head is stripped. There's not a lot of material in that area so i'm hesitant about tapping for a larger stud.Any suggestions on what would be a good fix ?

One of the muffler mounting holes on the cyl head is stripped. There's not a lot of material in that area so i'm hesitant about tapping for a larger stud.Any suggestions on what would be a good fix ?

Just repaired one on an XL-76. You would need a torch (MAP gas minimum) some aluminum filler rod and a drill and tap. Let me know if you want to try it.

Not exactly the most professional repair but cut one or 2 pieces of welding wire and stick them in the bolt hole lengthwise then push while turning the bolt like you would do if you were using a screw driver to put a screw into wood... it will hold the mufflet on no problem... the bolt will actually cut threads into the welding wire. I bought a car once where all the transmission pan bolts were held in that way.

Not exactly the most professional repair but cut one or 2 pieces of welding wire and stick them in the bolt hole lengthwise then push while turning the bolt like you would do if you were using a screw driver to put a screw into wood... it will hold the mufflet on no problem... the bolt will actually cut threads into the welding wire. I bought a car once where all the transmission pan bolts were held in that way.

Im not sure how big the bolt your fixing is but this worked on a 10mm bolt so it may work...

I like Fossil's Idea too though, thats a permanent repair and its really done correctly... I once saw a guy at the swap meet using a map gas torch and aluminum filler rod welding cracks on aluminum cylinder heads. It was pretty cool to watch..

I'm not familiar with this type of rod.Where would i go to purchase?
Harbor Freight, Amazon, Ebay and Tractor Supply to start and you might check with your local welding suppliers. Several reviews state MAPP is needed but they likely did not preheat the entire piece in an oven or with a torch. Al draws heat from the repair site rapidly so preheat is very helpful in reaching the required temp of 700F to 900F depending on the brand rod you purchase.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-aluminum-brazing-rod-1-8-in-dia-pack-of-8

You can place the bolt in the hole and stabilize it with wire, clamps, braces, etc. then fill the hole with alumaloy or equivalent and it will flow around the steel bolt without sticking to it. You can also take the jug to a boat prop repair shop and haggle a quickie TIG job price. Drill it out and make sure it is absolutely clean and tell them to just fill the hole and not to worry about grinding to make it pretty. You can then clean it up then drill and tap it to original spec. Do not try to alumaloy the hole closed and drill/tap. The low temp alloys are much harder than aluminum and difficult to tap.

Back