The new Stihl MS201T sucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heromaker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I own a small tree service in CA. I'm a second generation climber, been climbing over 20 years. Since 1972 my dad and I have always ran Stihl chainsaws. I bought a 201T a couple of months ago and was more than dissatisfied. The 020 has been the best climbing saw for over 2 decades hands down, diehard Husky guys won't even argue with that. The 200T was great, the 201T is worthless, I had my saw shop retune it several times but it often lacks the low end power to even get the chain spinning on a 14 inch bar on the job. My buddy Sam bought a new 201T and it has the same issues. The saw has no low end power, the old cheap echo climbing saws were better than the 201T. I ended up putting a 12 inch super thin carving bar on it and it finally performs well enough. The 200T was awesome the 201t is trash. I cant overstate how big of a mistake Stilh has made messing up the 200T. Has anyone had the same experience?

That my friend is why I have a new one tucked away at this moment.

Message Brad sneller as he for a very reasonable price can retune the 201T to out run the 200T or match it in performance. He can get you set up right away correctly on the 201T.

I own a small tree service in CA. I'm a second generation climber, been climbing over 20 years. Since 1972 my dad and I have always ran Stihl chainsaws. I bought a 201T a couple of months ago and was more than dissatisfied. The 020 has been the best climbing saw for over 2 decades hands down, diehard Husky guys won't even argue with that. The 200T was great, the 201T is worthless, I had my saw shop retune it several times but it often lacks the low end power to even get the chain spinning on a 14 inch bar on the job. My buddy Sam bought a new 201T and it has the same issues. The saw has no low end power, the old cheap echo climbing saws were better than the 201T. I ended up putting a 12 inch super thin carving bar on it and it finally performs well enough. The 200T was awesome the 201t is trash. I cant overstate how big of a mistake Stilh has made messing up the 200T. Has anyone had the same experience?

It's a shame that they come that way from the factory, but it doesn't have to run like that.

I've seen 'em wind up those saws pretty good with advanced timing + light mod. They run well after several tanks of gas, though and especially on canned fuel. Never really a viable alternative for the MS200T, but mine is easy to start.

I recently had a similar experience with my new 201t.

After having the saw re-tuned twice by my local dealer, I decided to contact STIHL directly to complain. I was put in contact with the regional sales manager for STIHL, who then had the Technical rep contact me. This guy was awesome, Norm Olynuk is the STIHL Tech Rep in British Columbia, after listening to my complaints, he contacted the dealer to get their input & then made arrangements to come out on site to see exactly what was going on with the saw. The long & short of this was, the new MS201t has a specific tuning procedure that must be followed, due to the new ignition system. After pulling the carburettor off the saw, he removed the limiter cap & reset the high speed & lowspeed adjustment ( 2 turns out form the seated position on the h speed & 1 1/4 turns out on the low speed. after re-assembley he performed what is called a "lean idle drop off setting" this where the new ignition system comes into play, it has some internal programming that requires you to let the saw return to idle for 20 seconds after revving the saw before adjusting the carb (Norm said it is critical to let it idle for at least 20 seconds as it alows the ignition timing to return to the base setting) after he finished, the saw was a completely different machine. Norm also told me that the break-in period on this saw is a lot longer (at least 25 tanks of fuel) 2 weeks later, my 201 T easily outperforms my old 200T. :msp_smile:

After having the saw re-tuned twice by my local dealer, I decided to contact STIHL directly to complain. I was put in contact with the regional sales manager for STIHL, who then had the Technical rep contact me. This guy was awesome, Norm Olynuk is the STIHL Tech Rep in British Columbia, after listening to my complaints, he contacted the dealer to get their input & then made arrangements to come out on site to see exactly what was going on with the saw. The long & short of this was, the new MS201t has a specific tuning procedure that must be followed, due to the new ignition system. After pulling the carburettor off the saw, he removed the limiter cap & reset the high speed & lowspeed adjustment ( 2 turns out form the seated position on the h speed & 1 1/4 turns out on the low speed. after re-assembley he performed what is called a "lean idle drop off setting" this where the new ignition system comes into play, it has some internal programming that requires you to let the saw return to idle for 20 seconds after revving the saw before adjusting the carb (Norm said it is critical to let it idle for at least 20 seconds as it alows the ignition timing to return to the base setting) after he finished, the saw was a completely different machine. Norm also told me that the break-in period on this saw is a lot longer (at least 25 tanks of fuel) 2 weeks later, my 201 T easily outperforms my old 200T. :msp_smile:

This is what I've found with the 201T's they have an incredibly long break in period, and they just need a some carb adjusting
and takes care of most complaints.

That my friend is why I have a new one tucked away at this moment.

Message Brad sneller as he for a very reasonable price can retune the 201T to out run the 200T or match it in performance. He can get you set up right away correctly on the 201T.

I'm looking forward to a much improved saw. It's out now getting the Sneller treatment! :hmm3grin2orange:

MS201-performance

Thanks much for this bulletin. In conversation with someone at Stihl, I don't remember his name, he indicated that an advance curve was built into the timing. Too bad this info is not in the hands of all their dealers, or, if it is, they are not using it to set up the saws properly. This is another very helpful post in the saga of the MS201!!

Latest posts

Back