The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it the angle of the camera or the sun in my eyes, but it looks like your back cut is lower than your face cut. Could you explain this to me?
Its a little low, gettin lazy on my end i aim for flush or just a touch high... does look all crooked at first doesnt it,

With a humboldt a guy can get away with flush or even low i wouldn't try it with an overhand or standard face rhough

3 and half to 4 mbf per load (self loaders... ) couldn't tel ya fer sure on tons, i dont mess with pulp much
I do both pulp and logs all done in weight so I don't loose my butt as bad with all the over run or get killed on scale. Now is that export or domestic?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

little of both, export hasn't been scaling real good lately, local folks get all the Weyco wood, so us little guys get **** on... and then some

Domestic pays less, but scales better.

Only pulp goes by tonnage here, $18-19 a ton for cotton timber, $23-25 maple, alder, birch, $28-33 for Hemlock Doug fir, without at least some sort of delimber its just not worth messing with, unless it has to go away.

You'd be amazed what other ways mills will pay Matt lots of them will by the ton for short small wood to keep their scalers happy. Doing export I normally average 6 to 7 a load on domestic we net 4 to 5. The reason you can't go to Weyerhauser is you don't have your certification you're leaving a good amount of opportunity on the table not having it. You have to remember I'm a small guy too there's only 3 guys on the whole crew two owners and one employee.

I think you missunderstand.

Weyco doesn't have any mills around here, nearest one is around chehalis, over 100 miles, so they send all of their wood to the exporter, all of their wood...

the exporter loads directly on ships bound for wherever...

since most of the wood they get is tree farmed wood, all processed and consistent. When a gyppo load comes in all hand cut and not consistent the scalers get a little whiny, and start deducting for this and deducting for that.

There isn't any mills around here that require any sort of certification, be it permits or accreditation. They simply don't care as long as you cut to the right lengths and there isn't any iron in em.

When it comes right down to it, if you have the chance to visit Formark (the exporter) in Everett, have a chat with a guy named Bernie or Bennie... He runs the yard down there and is more then a little bit of an *******, and treats the whole crew about the same as he treats us gyppo's... But he'll kiss yer ass if yer in a weyco truck.

100mi here means going through Seattle, or losing an hour or more to go 5 miles.

going the other direction means crossing into Canada.

According to google its 2hr 42 min with perfect traffic one way.

admittedly we are spoiled when it comes to mill selection.

I did ferget about the hardwood mill, they are part of Weyco, and you have to do paper work to send a load to them, so they have proof of source and what not on account of their own exporting.

100mi here means going through Seattle, or losing an hour or more to go 5 miles.

going the other direction means crossing into Canada.

According to google its 2hr 42 min with perfect traffic one way.

admittedly we are spoiled when it comes to mill selection.

I did ferget about the hardwood mill, they are part of Weyco, and you have to do paper work to send a load to them, so they have proof of source and what not on account of their own exporting.
When we do oversized wood we go down to Eugene it's over 3 hours one way it's just part of logging.

When we do oversized wood we go down to Eugene it's over 3 hours one way it's just part of logging.

Wow! When you can't take your logs right across the river to Longview, the town that was custom-built to receive logs ... that's just messed up.

Wow! When you can't take your logs right across the river to Longview, the town that was custom-built to receive logs ... that's just messed up.
They don't take over a 46" butt for export anymore not much you can plus a lot of the mills in Longview are gone. 1 hardwood mill, 2 domestic fir mills, 2 export yards, and a pulp yard.

Back