The Old Double Ax Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here are four of my doubles, as I find some of the others, I'll add them. The first is an American Beauty that was my wife's grand fathers. He passed long before I met my wife. When her grand mother passed, they asked if there was any thing at her house that I wanted. I said yes, the double ax. My wife's older brother had already taken it, so I asked him if I could have it. He said sure, all he was going to do is chop roots till it broke and through it away. He had taken down a bunch of small trees all around the foundation of his house. So, I save that one.

The first is the American Beauty with a scabbard:

Then the Collins. It's never had a file touch it. In another thread I said I thought the head was black. Looking closer, I think it's blued like a gun barrel. I'm going to hit it with some OOOO steel wool and see how it cleans up:

True Temper Kelly Perfect. In another thread I said I thought True Temper bought out Collins, I guess it was Kelly that they bought out:

Last but not least is the old Craftsman:

The two ratty looking ones, I might try a little sand paper, then a thin coat of Walnut stain. Just a thin coat of Walnut stain can make Oak and Hickory really look good, Joe.

I used to throw one of those axes, and I'm thinking it was the Collins. It was before I got married, so it couldn't be the American Beauty, I just got the Craftsman a couple years ago, and the other one looks too ratty to take out in public. I found I could throw better if I choked up a little. One time I threw and I felt a little tug at my back and herd this funny rip sound. One of the other guys ran over flipping out and asked if I was OK. The tip of the side toward my back hooked my flannel shirt and split it from mid back to the collar, but never touched skin, Joe.

nice Joe. i'll have to poke around in dads pole barn. he has a pile of old axe heads laying around. i remember him using them all the time when i was a kid to skin the bark off of locust posts. thanks!! just what i need to go with my CAD. AAD.:laugh: here's a pic of my dad so you know he knew how to swing an axe.
20130703_102751_resized.jpg

I found one of my "Plumb" doubles, it's in pretty bad shape and the handle is shot. It might be a boys ax, the handle is short. Then there was an old "Craftsman" hand ax, and a hatchet. I can't read the hatchet. The logo is in a box and across the top it says "Genuine", but I can't read the rest. I thought I could see an "L" on the lower line but it would be off center if it was a Kelly. If you recognize the logo speak up. My Dad used to keep that hatchet on his work bench when I was a kid and said it was his uncles. If so, I'd date it to the 30's or older, Joe.

I think I'm going to start a new thread and call it "every ones old cutting tools". I keep finding old stuff that doesn't fit one category. Cleaning up yesterday I found this old scout knife. I started to throw it away, looked rusted into one chunk. Then I looked closer and it's just the scales that are shot. They shrunk and pulled off the sides. All the blades open and it's never been filed, actually pretty clean inside. I have a bunch of Spalted Maple I can make new scales out of. I think I can pop the "Scout Knife" logo off and polish it up and inlay it back in. There is one brass pin that holds the scales on, I can just grind it off and epoxy the Maple on, or drill it out and epoxy and pin it. Nice little project I can work on at my desl, Joe.

Here's one of my double bit axes , it was new old stock .

zcmTGAO5_79kKP8x5GZbwU6OTBG1PvF0ipgfGGIXu1qDwuMGt4v9rKju4hLs8GmhndoiyWKBNj_U-bdwt3IQtUakRSVGm57gpcwdttLKXMzeYrS309JyMqifKcrf-gPCAC5UQra9Cq7LJkbxjEViGhM6aeqvjDoaB0jg5qTzf7CoOSS_Hq7tayTcK6bpOtuM9Q8t8BzJiNT_IeNw225DtBAb9SLee1bo8Yx1cq10adgT6ua7PQx_unzq2igbc8uX5uUrcJl7HrgHMuuHOWyaNjCozINS6MkTx2bOomksWazdWbZ2iNA8lQ2Bkt0T3u6wSiX0npRVzWdz-UDfH1nCM_LAtHcdPjMhs5HUd_Iui5V8GaQWQ3CugAH8PkQ8GOuccOArKJ6x3alWx680oV9iFA-ImYYib_gTcrjr714Su-J2FgCKvu1tQS9bR-WWWFXFpwZ4dITm5GBc2cJBEaCaHqbjpvG52XPLPMlsxv0Texp2VxmOE9W75dwmIpSMqZ80okpoB9Mb_EmoroV-sjK_quFu6QaPEFJj_GNnZcvBjIOgZEqv9Fs4dKsOct3cjJtYGMEJHrLOrsUWZV3mdxlIY5ZrEaxFYlJVFhjb6Sf4JhTRubhq3Lzef90gSR5WZ-GQ5X6y4LpKrZ5Zl1ISHd1Nb3AmUOL7yZYFA2xE0ofNXX4=w1277-h669-no

kxyKI9BA7e35vD8QnHYxQCDh3HZQkMdJvdmC_Kf6uC8fRWxLLYyHSjmB4_UOCHE_ReqTmSd-hkGldjiwj8cR7lVWpZiXRuyrPZC7Q7UaOUEHRyPtFLou8YQot6rsO8JgJWzNT_LozxEHAbmLd1psX5kE6TTyVllVaTfpsjyOjVGbOl_WrYPfNBWuIn4KMN-TP2BddRAihQNL4jEkK3n0OYC4r7MyuobkoVpViiJ-qVlpmFFB5DVan_-822__z2NFtzBImygpDma3VBiFKxVHSpVz_WRS69cY9QsZFOMBwKvTzJ932XI1ApE4ii3A1kzCrvzmN_BLnQ3Fa5AFhDKWyfMegDytgaMy42pvv-f1donm6UnHDy67_V06aJTzt2V3_jhqUK43h-sMdAQTH64f0jBHf6-Ax6IsW0rce429FxqCM98NyDGYJMVCA08U_er7OeWbSS6CDNst-j4GhjwjyL7QmScKNHi02wEOck_Z-K-kAh3-6bjNhQ9SBwrE1t-wP1kucVwEbjINdcSrPHcrTyNWeNhTRxiUIw3LxxgdX3nQHaMPkqjD4edYNACizj8Jcpc3FAJAsfhibAtzTHkj7MT1ITvIXrwh5sNkuYbIxFPsSkbaSH9nkyZoVwgAoWRTT7VflfdN87IyGEjMX0KuccvIOWkeE5gL0YTLEClnqxQ=w1252-h938-no

Hults Bruks
3 1/2 lbs if I remember correctly .
Joe , if you start a sharps/cutting tool thread I'll have plenty of pics for it ;)

Progress on the Scout Knife. Turns out not in that bad of shape. Under the handles are four triangular, sharp tabs that the handles press onto, so with the brass pin, tabs, and a little epoxy the Spalted Maple handles should be no problem. Hit the blade and chassis with some 150 grit and starting to clean up. Can't quite read the makers mark. On one side of the blade the first line reads something US, bottom line reads Cutlery Co NY. The other side has crossed swords and the word SWORD. I just did a search and it came up Camillus Cutlery. I think if I get up to about 2000 grit I can make it shine like chrome. It will be nicer than it ever dreamed of being, Joe.

I think the file marks on the blade are from the factory. There are some on the other side way up high and there some on the back edge, not the best quality. Probably a cheap Scout knife, Joe.

Thanks, my buddy gave that to me a couple days ago. While I was looking for info on the knife I saw a you tube of a RR track anvil that was much nicer than this one and it was polished to a mirror finish in the non contact parts. I might try and shine this one up a bit. I plan on drilling out the bolt holes to make them round. Who ever made it just blew them out with a torch, Joe.

That was my first thought, because I remember the old razor blades. But, I found it, it's Camillus. Got the blade clean enough to read it with out removing it, Joe.

Back