tree monkeys 2153 deluxe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
242%20piston%20wash_zps2zltcvqb.jpg

What alloy filler rod are you using on the jugs when welding up the transfers?

Has anyone ever tried to tig a jug up to the nikasil to change a port? Any success, or did the plating pop right off?

I may attempt on a garbage jug.

Has anyone ever tried to tig a jug up to the nikasil to change a port? Any success, or did the plating pop right off?

Attempt and report back.Personally I would pre heat the cylinder because heat is normal for it. The rapid heat change would make me worry.

I use 4043, not a strong as 5356 but cleaner and easier.
I've never tried going right up to the plating, too difficult for me to consistently control the puddle to that degree, just too much chance for distortion. I guess the plating might potentially act as a dam and help a bit. Even If I was successful on a junk jug, I still don't think I'd chance a good one, too easy to mess up, cast aluminum can be funny stuff.
If a ring isn't traveling over it, then you could probably get away with a spot with bare aluminum but then I'd be more concerned with the type of filler rod used.
Adding material to pistons is common practice, though I've found out the hard way that building up the bottom of a skirt on an old used piston can be a losing proposition...

I've had the plating pop off when getting too close to the cylinder bore or when you get too much heat in the cylinder.

I use 4043, not a strong as 5356 but cleaner and easier.
I've never tried going right up to the plating, too difficult for me to consistently control the puddle to that degree, just too much chance for distortion. I guess the plating might potentially act as a dam and help a bit. Even If I was successful on a junk jug, I still don't think I'd chance a good one, too easy to mess up, cast aluminum can be funny stuff.
If a ring isn't traveling over it, then you could probably get away with a spot with bare aluminum but then I'd be more concerned with the type of filler rod used.
Adding material to pistons is common practice, though I've found out the hard way that building up the bottom of a skirt on an old used piston can be a losing proposition...

5356 is not recommended for service temps above 150deg. Also 4043 works better for high silicon content cast.

I've built up piston skirts before, even the sides.

Back