tree/wood identification asst. please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I got this wood in large rounds over a year ago from a tree service that left it behind, and nobody wanted it. I split it and stacked it, its dry, and very light weight in my hand, even the larger pieces. Its got a hairy/stringy outer bark and wide straight grain, super easy to split with an ax. I initially thought it was some sort of cedar, and it may be, but it never had that distinct cedar aroma, I love the way cedar smells....this wood has no smell at all. Not sure what it is.....experts?

Dow

IMG_2287.jpg IMG_2288.jpg

Ya, it was mine too, but I can't remember cedar having that white outer layer closer to the bark, its always been all 1 solid color...and always smells sooo good.....this wood....nothing, no scent.

Annual rings look too big for Cedar, looks like Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia. Only reason I say this is I milled up some last year. Does the bark pull off easy? I kept all the bark thinking it would start easy. It didn't. So now I have all these pieces of bark. I'm going to make Bat Boxes out of it. Unfortunately, a lot of people take them down because they loose their needles in the winter and they think they are dead, Joe

I'm not a West Coaster, but it looks like willow to me. It'll burn fast, whatever it is.

Back