Identify a tree species?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I tried the internet and was quickly frustrated by any of the links I followed. None of them seems useful. One of them asked a series of questions about leaf structure where I had to look up what the terms meant. Still got no where.

Attached is a picture of the leaf of a tree I dropped today. Phone battery died right after I took that shot, so I will try to describe the trunk. I can post pictures if need be of the bark and trunk.

The outer inch or two is white to amber, the "heart wood" is a darker brown, reminds me of walnut. I've not see this or similar bear any fruit at all.. It does not cut easily as I'd expect from a hard wood. It resists being split with a 27 ton "troy bilt" about like some oak I split last year.

Attachments

• 20220710_163754[1].jpg
    20220710_163754[1].jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 1
I tried the internet and was quickly frustrated by any of the links I followed. None of them seems useful. One of them asked a series of questions about leaf structure where I had to look up what the terms meant. Still got no where.

Attached is a picture of the leaf of a tree I dropped today. Phone battery died right after I took that shot, so I will try to describe the trunk. I can post pictures if need be of the bark and trunk.

The outer inch or two is white to amber, the "heart wood" is a darker brown, reminds me of walnut. I've not see this or similar bear any fruit at all.. It does not cut easily as I'd expect from a hard wood. It resists being split with a 27 ton "troy bilt" about like some oak I split last year.

A species of white oak I think. Tips of leaves are rounded, not pointed like red oaks.

How big are the leaves and what does the bark look like? I have a similar looking oak I have been trying to identify.

Back