Trouble with adjustable carb on ms180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted3g

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker but first time poster here. With the hundred threads with this swap done I can't believe I haven't solved this yet but here goes.

Background story. I blew out a few disks in my back and I just can't operate my 044 like I used to so I bought this lightweight ms180. I don't use this saw to pay the bills, just to keep trails at camp clear and keep some wood for the fire pit. I went with the dealers suggestion and had him fit it with a 16 inch bar with a thicker (he called it standard) carbide chain. He is where the fun starts

He fills the tanks and walks me through the operation of the saw. All is well. I cut for the first 2 weekends with it and put a few hours on it. It love the weight of the saw but I was too well behaved compared to my old saw. I read post after post about opening this saw up and decided to take the leap. I opened up the holes under the fish gills and added a few more all under the plate. I achieved 125% of the port size which was stated to be a good target for an all around saw. I fire the saw up and it sounds great but it is lean. I did not cut with it and decided to do the adjustable carb. I purchased a wt 215 carb from the dealer and followed the steps outlined in one of the many posts. The original impulse port was blocked, the brass plug pulled and air box was plugged. The linkages and fuel lines fit without a problem. The problem is that I cannot get this saw tuned. I can't get it to idle and starting it is a bear. I've tried everything from .5-4 turns out and messed with the idle speed. I pull a bunch of times and then it starts to cough and then fires up with a bunch of revs and smoke and then dies down. Most times when it dies down it will stall but on a few occasions it has surged back up before it comes back down and dies. I'll admit I got frustrated and forgot where the idle speed screw was originally located which may be my problem. I put the original Zama carb back on and it fires up correctly like a factory saw and idles perfect but it is not safe to cut with. I don't know how long they have been doing it but I have a leaner than usual 44 main jet in it. I've tried new NGK plugs and the saw has only ever seen tru fuel 50:1. I've pulled the muffler to look at the piston and it's perfect. Not even broke in yet. So there's my story. Can anyone offer some advice on where to go next? Any idea on where the idle speed screw should be?

A good point to start is 1 turn out on the H & L Idle screw is adjusted till it just makes contact with the lever. turn it a little too much and all it does it cause the chain to spin. So you removed the brass plug and plugged the other impulse hole? and what do you mean by the airbox was plugged? are the limiters in or out of the WT215?

I just put a whole new aftermarket motor in a ms180..... When the motor came in I was in a hurry and slaped it in really fast, and I had same symptoms you have.... However, when I took it apart to see what I did wrong, I noticed that the black rubber manifold has a small hole that seats into the motor itself.... Well this hole was not seated into the motor correctly, and this was what was causing my problem..... So after I seated it in its original position, put saw back together and worked great...

So I guess what I am getting at is just double check were the carberator contacts the black rubber manifold.....I have had the excact problems you are discribing with 2 different saws now, and both saws had a whole blocked on that black rubber manifold.... Good luck with your saw!!!

I haven't been rebuilding near as long as most of you guys..... I just have happened to have this problem happen 2 times in row lol.... So hopefully some one can learn from my mistake......

Please let post up your results so we can see what happens...

It's been about a week so I thought I'd check in. I started over from square one with the same exact results so I bit the bullet and took it to a saw shop. After 4 days he called me with no luck. I am left to beleive that I got a bad carb out of the box. At this point I'm going to talk with the dealer but I doubt he will do anything. I'll probably order another carb and see if the situation changes. I'll keep you posted.

Man I really hate to hear that for ya..... Is a bad carb possible out of box, yes but who knows.....I tell ya I was thinking and hoping this was just a blocked air port or something small in the carb.... Have you tried unplugging the intelli port.... I mean I guess you have nothing to loose at this point.... And if all else fails you may have to buy another adjustable carb.... I know you have probably linked over this 10000 times, but check all the ports, and try unplugging the intelli port.... Let us know what happens

I just cut up some elm logs a guy brought out the other day, and this damn ms180 I rebuilt is growing on me for sure... It's so light it's unreal, and cuts pretty good also...

Update to this post. After having the shop take a look at the saw with no luck in getting it running I'm forced to get another saw. He has about 15 saws in stock and he is recommending an 026 as a replacement. We didn't go into exact pricing but it looks like I'm moving to an 026. Tired of waiting when I should be cutting.

Man that is pretty sad that tour dealer can't figure it out.... Is this saw even a year old... Also have you taken off the muffler and looked at the piston, that will tell you a lot.... The muffler is extremely easy to take off, if you can post a pic of the piston when you take the muffler off....

What are your plans with this saw, it just sucks if this saw is only a year or 2 old and it's now useless to you....please keep us updated....

Diagnosis was a leaking crank seal. The saw has approximately 15 minutes of cutting time on it and I've owned it just a few months. I ended up moving to a used 026 for just a little out of pocket. Seems like a much better saw with a lot more metal rather than plastic. The engine is a lot healthier for sure. For what I need it for its probably overkill but I had enough with the ms180 and wanted something else. I picked up some motomix and new filters and a new chain and I'll be cutting this afternoon.

You have got to be kidding me.... If the crank seals are bad they should have handed you a new ms180.... Is the reason they did not give you a new saw or fix it because you missed the muffler or what....there is no way on earth those deals should be bad in 15 minutes, heck that's not even a half tank of gas....

I honestly didn't want another ms180. After I saw how this one was built I can deal with a few scuffs and scraps on a used one. A ms250 crossed my mind but I I'm happy how it turned out. I lost about 50 bucks on the whole fiasco but I have a running saw in my hands again. Lesson learned

Back