Truper - as good as Friskars x27?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried these?

Truper 4-1/2 lb. Rapid Maul with 36 in. Double Injected Fiberglass Handle

21RukkolXhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Truper 4-1/2 lb. Rapid Maul with 36 in. Double Injected Fiberglass Handle - 1016148 | Tractor Supply Company
That's a silly question! You don't have to spend much time on this site to know that the X27 is the best thing ever made for splitting wood. I've even heard rumors that it splits wood by itself if you have mastered the correct techniques. The ease of use along with the power and accuracy generated by the superior materials and quality design are legendary. Nothing NOTHING holds a candle to the X27!

The only thing better is the price. The Truper's wedge design works good on easy to split stuff, but when the going gets a little tougher, the Truper wants to stick in the wood when the Fiskars will either split through or come back out easily. I won't go back.

Edit: The Truper design "throws" the splits farther when you get a clean split. That can be a pain in the rear when you have to resplit pieces.

Saved me a lot of typing... What he said. :cheers:

My family calls me the "Human Pack Mule" and "Ox" and once you realize to bring the maul up with one hand at the end of the handle and the other by the maul head its not so bad. if my english is off sorry I'm delving into the depths of AHK (AutoHotkey)

Truper hand tools have terrible quality, IME. The 8lb splitting maul that I was looking at had the absolute worst edge on it(I would hesitate to call it an edge) I have ever seen...I doubt it would even penetrate the grain as-is without some serious grinding. And I'm pretty sure some of the wooden handled tools from them had pine handles...not joking.

Truper hand tools have terrible quality, IME. The 8lb splitting maul that I was looking at had the absolute worst edge on it(I would hesitate to call it an edge) I have ever seen...I doubt it would even penetrate the grain as-is without some serious grinding. And I'm pretty sure some of the wooden handled tools from them had pine handles...not joking.
That's my main heavy maul, I mean for thirty bucks new, once you touch it with a grinder and a file, they work fine. My wooden handled one is still intact, etc. I have done beaucoup splitting with it. Was my main buster until I got a fiskars. I like the looks of the new synthetic handled models.

I think everybody might be missing the point. The o.p. asked in the thread title if the Truper "is as good as FRISKARS x27. " If the chinese are knocking off X27's it might be close. But a Fiskars X27 will own a truper from sunup to sundown. Anybody avoiding buying an X27 is a mentally ill contrarian who would sacrifice performance and quality just for the sake of conversation.

Back