Two chainsaws or one for farm/ranch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The consensus seems to be to start with a good saw in the 50-60 cc range. Supplement that with the longest bar and shortest bar that are recommended for the model to give you some flexibility since you are going to buy multiple chains anyway.

Looking at the Stihl specs for professional saws, every saw larger than the MS 241 has a 16" bar minimum. Quick question - is it safe to use a smaller bar than recommended? 1.) Operator safety first - I would only use the smaller bar on small trees, but would it increase my likelihood of kickback etc.? 2.) Machine maintenance safety second, can I redline my saw and ruin it (or something similarly stupid) with a bar that is too small?

The dealer does have the Echo CS-590 on sale for $360. I believe the Stihl equivalent would be the MS 311 ($490 16" or $500 18-20" bar). Which would the commentators prefer between those two, or the equivalent Husqvarna?

Thanks,
Rod
The Echo CS590 is a good choice in it's size. You may also want a smaller saw at some point.

I'll be in opposition to many here. We farm. I wouldn't dare spend all day cutting sprouts with a 60cc. Dad uses a Echo 346, I use a 400 for that task, way easier to pack. I also put far more time on my 500 or his 4600/5000s than my bigger/heavier 60cc saw. Sure it takes a little longer to cut up a bigger log if needed, but it still works.

Other observation, when cutting the sprouts, especially if there's grass growers up around them, I have a little better results using a spur sprocket. Grass tends to get caught up in the rim sprockets worse.

The consensus seems to be to start with a good saw in the 50-60 cc range. Supplement that with the longest bar and shortest bar that are recommended for the model to give you some flexibility since you are going to buy multiple chains anyway.
Hi Rod,

No idea if you already bought your saw, but personally I DONOT recomend buying different types of bars. Just get two of one type incase you pinch one. Normally no one ever exchanges bar size in the field for different types of wood. Personally I recomend a 18-20 inch bar in 325. With that setup it is no problem whatsoever to cut up a up to 36inch tree if that is your ambition.

I relly like the 40cc 60cc combo.
My choice is dolmar 421 and 6100.
But there are lots of great options depending on how much you want to spend. echo has some great saws especially for their price. I little 361p and a 590 would make one heck of a combo for $800.
A husqvarna 435 and 465 would make a good pair as well.
Stihl has not impressed me and a large part is how our local dealers are.
Were you typing this while I was pulling the trigger on these?052.JPG

The performance of the saw you choose is going to be determined by how sharp you can keep your chain over how many cc's and wether it is rancher model or pro line.
The ms290 with a sharp chain will out cut a ms260 with a dull chain. Learn how to sharpen chain and it will benefit you greatly.
Hope you get the info you are looking for this is a great forum with lots of people willing to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch out for the widow makers (dead trees) and don't fool around widow makers by yourself.
Wear safety eq. and stay Away from them on windy days. Probably more saw guys killed or hurt by widow makers than anything else.
You will need to eventually learn how to sharpen a chain, get a spare chain, harden dead elms are rough on dulling chains, dead BlackJack limbs are even worse. You can see sparks come off the chain when viewing in shade or dark when whacking on blackjack limbs.
You will need to eventually get wedges and you will eventually need another saw as a backup saw to get your stuck saw out of the big log or tree.
This saw hung in a big log will be a happening thing eventually and you will remember this advice when it happens to you and you don't have another saw to free the stuck one.

Were you typing this while I was pulling the trigger on these?View attachment 546236
LOL well.... I wouldn't put it past me to stalk a 6100. great looking saws. get ready to pick up a lot of wood because that combo will put a whole crap load on the ground in a very short order.

LOL well.... I wouldn't put it past me to stalk a 6100. great looking saws. get ready to pick up a lot of wood because that combo will put a whole crap load on the ground in a very short order.
It's been too muddy to cut since I've got them. I did put in a couple loads with the 4300. That thing rips. That saw is closer to my 2152 Jonsered or 346 Husky than it is to my Ryobi 40cc. I can see that one becoming my go to saw.

I ordered an 18 inch bar for it. Also an 18 for the 6100.

Thanks for all of the help and advice everyone provided.

Decided to go with two saws. Bought an Echo CS-400 (18" bar) from one of the site sponsors.

He added a 12" bar and chain. This will save me a little weight and increase safety when cutting tree clumps near ground level.

I will come back to the forum for more advice when I am ready to tackle my larger problem trees. (Felling numerous smaller trees should also increase my skills and safety.)

Rod

P.S. I don't think my CS-400 can tackle the bur oak in the background. However, it should be able to handle most of my trees on the farm.

IMG_2623.JPG

For that same task and type of use, I own a 441cm pro saw, and a 435 husky semi pro limbing saw.

I like them both very much, but if I had to do it again I'd have bought an electronic husky little saw too instead of the screw adjusted 435.

I feel very sorry for my fil who owns over 2000 acres and makes his farm hands use busted old homeowner grade saws to feed his wood stove. That's pathetic and shows a lack of comprehension of the tools needed for a job.

the most important thing is knowing how to run a saw and how to keep it sharp ---

having the right size saw helps . if i had to pick only ONE i would probably get a makita/dolmar 6100 and maybe later get a 40cc--

any number of saws by echo,stihl and husqvarna will work well , if money is tight it is hard to go wrong with the cs-590 timberwolf-- a semi pro saw for a box store consumer price--

Back