use chaps for battery chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerdog

Reaction score
I just bought my first chainsaw, a battery powered Stihl, for cutting brush, small trees, etc. Read that Kevlar chaps only stop a gasoline powered chain, so should I just wear my regular denim pants? Same with cut-resistant gloves vs ordinary work gloves?

Kevlar chaps work by shredding into long threads that wrap around the sprocket to stop the chain from moving, not necessarily like armor. I can't imagine the power source makes a difference.

I'm curious where you read that Kevlar Chaps weren't effective with battery chainsaws.

I've seen it in a few places, but here's an example. I don't know if this discussion applies to battery-powered chainsaws (vs plug in) or Stihl's current models of battery saws:

https://www.**********/talk/threads/electric-chainsaw-and-chaps-warning.36621/

What's the voltage on the saw? I'm sure it's not like a 3 hp electric motor if it's battery powered. A 15 amp Sawzall vs my 18volt Mikita Sawzall are 2 completely different things speed and power wise. I've never owned an electric chainsaw though but wearing chaps must be better than nothing.

A battery powered chainsaw is designed to tear completely through logs as thick and round as a human arm in just a few seconds.

Human flesh is much softer than wood.

Wear protection.

Electric motors really increase torque under load, which is why chaps don't work. Electric saws are scary to me, I'll take the ones that chaps work on over the electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="IyaMan, post: 6197284, member: 142275"

Wear protection.[/QUOTE]

I've got my safety squints, filtering the air through a cigarette, doubled up on the condoms and Mom is on speed dial.

I rarely ever cut under 6'' diameter stuff. For all the larger diameter logs rarely ever use protective gear except when its cold out side. Protective gear helps a lot to keep you warm. When I come to brush I know it is by far the most dangerous. Really good pruning shears actually cut faster than my chain saws. Also helps me stay in shape for real cutting. Thanks

No one mentioned, unless I overlooked it, it's also wise to wear a safety helmet with attached face guard and ear muffs.

Back