What is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe most of the leaves in the third pic are from the vine, not the tree itself (and they do look poplarish) I think the leaves from the tree are being held in pic #2

I believe most of the leaves in the third pic are from the vine, not the tree itself (and they do look poplarish) I think the leaves from the tree are being held in pic #2

Ok. You are right. Those are a vine. My bad

Good afternoon folks. I don't buy wood if ever rarely, I just craigslist and have access to some mountain property. Well while cutting up some Locust from the storm here in WNC someone offered me their downed tree, but I have no idea what it is so here's a few pictures. I'm leaning Ash but not sure, or what kind of Ash if it is.
That is Black Gum, boys!

I think we have a winner here. To the OP, try splitting a piece and if it laughs at an axe and only tears using a log splitter black gum it is.

For sure once you try splitting it you'll never have a problem identifying it in the future. Splitting might not be exactly the right term, more like chunking.

The bark really threw me. The black gum I see around me has bark that is more like little individual plates. It almost reminds me of a bowl of dog food. I haven't seen it with the heavy lattice bark like the OP's. I had to do a little image searching but I did find some that looked like the OP's.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    967.6 KB · Views: 9
I think that there is more than one tree, or at least parts of trees, in those pictures. One small tree, maybe service berry or something with similar purple fruit, and a larger tree, some sort of walnut maybe. There is what looks like a black walnut and some leaves on the ground in one of the pictures.

5GjhTvW.jpg

I think that there is more than one tree, or at least parts of trees, in those pictures. One small tree, maybe service berry or something with similar purple fruit, and a larger tree, some sort of walnut maybe. There is what looks like a black walnut and some leaves on the ground in one of the pictures.

Looking just at the blown up pic you posted, I would say walnut. The dark piece of wood, the nut, the dried up leaves are right for black walnut. The outside bark could be walnut or sassafras. The outer bark is not black gum. The cross section might be a lot of things...

The leaf shown in pic 2 is black gum/tupelo. Or maybe serviceberry? It's not walnut.

And I see some orange color of sassafras inner bark on the inner bark on two of the pics. And the cross section of the bark reminds me of Sassafras, as does the outer bark, although walnut could also be a contender on the outer bark. Did the wood have any smell?

As you said, we might have multiple different things in these pics...

I'm in the Black Gum boat, berries seal it for me. I still haven't figured out how to post pics since photobucket went down. I have a bunch in the back yard and cut and burn them in the fire pit every chance I get. They do have pretty red leaves in the fall,Joe.

Sorry if it was mentioned before but it appears that there are multiple species of leaves in the picture. Which ones came from the tree with the big trunk?

Back