What's on your bench? 2/6/16

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ThE="LowVolt, post: 5750892, member: 67715"]Looks good for just a bunch of scrap yard saws.[/QUOTE]
That's funny. Lmao

It's not a chainsaw, but close, got a Solo Manufactured (norton clipper) auto choke & auto oil injection. Looks dolmar-ish in design to me. 52mm
Had water in the fuel which injured the piston. Replaced the rings & honed the cyl. Runs great again. Not a fan of a green cap for the oil. Lends people to think diesel. Yep. It happened once. Smoked like a train.1454918533286.jpg

what sealant did you use to seal base cyl to crankcase with?

on my 044 saw the OE composition gasket was .019 after installing cyl and it having been run. and the replacement steel shim gasket is .019, too... I thot about going gasketless... I have a very smooth flat top of crankcase flange surface, but decided to make a thin composition gasket and it is .011. prob compress to .010 or so. doing this as part of phase one mild mods... and as such tweak the squish and CR some... to compensate for a burnish at best of cyl wear as it was an arborist's working saw... and one day he stuck the rings. I bot it next day. running fine on Friday, sat morn took a powder. and maybe also get some performance upgrade out of the thinner base gasket. but prob will hone cyl base flat for a thou or two... maybe 5... well, that is my plan at least for that department... I measured with clay a .014 clearance piston crown to cyl squish ring... so, since rod pin small shows only a burnish in wear... I think the .014 +/- will hold its running clearance. well, that is the plan for that department... lol; thinking factory squish prob in the .025 - .027 range... maybe bit less.

I am going to use Dirko...

phase I - get saw running with light, mild mods to include some porting and casting flash clean up...new piston/rings, advance timing few degrees...

phaseII - once running good, this phase will be some additional mods to carb... to improve column of air thru it.

phase III - BB kit... 12 mm upgrade and porting... etc.

have all parts needed

View attachment 484508
I used Motoseal to seal base. Squish on oem piston and cylinder was .028-0.029 using solder. Piston did not have rings on when measuring squish. Going to run it for awhile and see where compression settles in, before any other changes (if I have it that long). No good reason, but enjoy putting saws together, just a hobby. Maybe retired and bored is the answer. Hope your build goes well.

Started a Monday off with 2 Stihl ts420s , Cutoff saws. One burnt up from the owner running after the muffler vibrated loose and fell off. The other just a tuneup and new primer bulb! I don't get to work on as many saws as I'd like, but still at least a couple a week. Looks like I've got a pressure washer pump to rebuild too

Ms170 just replaced engine. Ms250 new intake rubber, pulse line and carburetor. Ms201t needs some TLC, ms210 not sure what I'm going g to do with, 046 needs new tank handle, still working on the 660 that is as beat as I've ever seen, probably grab another handful of 1123 series saws and get them ready for the showroom.

Two more saws to go when it gets a little warmer. Don't need the saws so no need to put them together now. I do have several junk saws that I could probably combine and get a couple of runners from them but that's down the road too. I have about 20 running saws here right now so that should be enough..

I used Motoseal to seal base. Squish on oem piston and cylinder was .028-0.029 using solder. Piston did not have rings on when measuring squish. Going to run it for awhile and see where compression settles in, before any other changes (if I have it that long). No good reason, but enjoy putting saws together, just a hobby. Maybe retired and bored is the answer. Hope your build goes well.

thanks, appreciate your numbers... got some porting done on it today...

P2080026.JPG

P2080022.JPG

P2080033.JPG

Finished fixing up my 460. Put a new clutch, sprocket, bar oil cap, vent and fuel cap. The pisser about it is I bought that saw a while back from here as a running, ready to be put to work saw! It runs ok, but it was leaking gas and bar oil pretty bad from the caps and vent. The clutch and sprocket were shot, the chain almost had sawed through the clutch.

Also put the 660 spikes from the other 460 I had (the one I ran over with the feller buncher... yeah somehow the bar and spikes were ok!)

Also put together a 360 that needed some recoil work. It's a saw I had Terry port almost a year ago and just now took it out of the box last week. Runs nice BTW!

Worked on a customer 210 a bit too. Came in as "only runs for 15 seconds".

Thing had close to 1/2 a cup of water in the tank and the fuel filter was just laying in the bottom of the tank. Drained it all out and cleaned it, new filter, cleaned the carb, still no beuno for some reason.

I'm glad I don't have to play mechanic in real like, I'd much rather stick to murdering trees!

My bench is a husqvarna 55 rancher I picked up used from a local dealer. Repair tag read.. (cuts out). So it is getting tore down completely and getting some bew parts and some tlc. Can't wait to fire it up.

them kitchen tables and work centers make great work benches, huh?!! looks good... have you done many mods to it?

For sure. There's such good light on the table haha.

Not too many mods. Itll have a muffler mod and and that's about it. I used 0.030 gasket material. So it left me at 0.040. Which I'm kinda bummed about but Ill just tell my friend who I am giving it too (for the price of parts) if it ever needs work again I'll make sure to replace the gasket with something thinner

Doing a carb rebuild on a little super 2 that I'm going to give to my son-in-law. Got a Homelite 150 on the bench that I thought I was going to have to tear apart. Turns out what I thought was an air leak at the crank seals ended up being a bad spark plug. Just goes to show you gotta take the saw owners explanation of the problem with a grain of salt. Once I fired it up myself, it became very obvious the plug was bad. New plug....ran fine! Once the saws are finished, I gotta get my son's portable generator repaired.

For sure. There's such good light on the table haha. Not too many mods. Itll have a muffler mod and and that's about it. I used 0.030 gasket material. So it left me at 0.040. Which I'm kinda bummed about but Ill just tell my friend who I am giving it too (for the price of parts) if it ever needs work again I'll make sure to replace the gasket with something thinner

pepsi carton sides are .019... makes nice composition gasket... manila folder is about .011... just sayin;...

Back