Whats this Knot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ABOK 1116, THE FIGURE-EIGHT NOOSE
picture.php

Neat knot, but there is a slight problem: when the slip is pulled out, an overhand knot remains to be untied. Conversely, it is not practical to use this as a midline knot.

Oh, make no mistake, I don't particularly care for the ABOK 1116. Just pointing out the knot in the pic is an ABOK 1116 and the name, (FIGURE-EIGHT NOOSE) has already been taken.

However, I DO think derwoodii's knot does have some real potential - a lot better than ABOK 1116. It ties and unties so damn nice, I'll be trying it for awhile on non-critical loads. But, it'll might be awhile before it replaces the butterfly or bowline on a bight - if ever.

Not too sure about us calling it; "DERWOODII", though. If it holds up to scrutiny, he should pick the name, IMO.

Last edited:
except that it's already called a figure eight slip knot. see section 4-25 here for a precedent.

edit: pdqdl- at the above link there is also a knot that looks alot like the manharness or pioneer knot that you have described in the past. They call it a wireman's knot and it's at section 4-16.

Good posts you guys - still like the knot!!!

fig4-25.gif

rep'd you both - so much for derwoodii naming it - but rep'd him for bringing it to light.

Last edited:
i would think that the ABoK version (or the 1 more Turn to exit more as square Knot) would be stronger, and ride the cinch up more squarely. Also, in a slipped formation, give easy release. With the final Turn before tuck (so tail exits and lines up against Standing like Square Knot); has a fair Crossed Round Turn, and also fairly similar to the shown stronger, Scaffold/ Double Noose/ dbl. fisherman's; except for the nipping strategy for the final Bitter.

Perhaps another simple test would be of a small sling choked vs. same choked while forming a Round Turn about it's Standing /Tension 'legs'.

The first/normal method only deforms/ destabilizes the support legs. The second, does same; but then offers more of a 'bracing'/more stabilizing 'collar' around the deformed support legs. Some strain reliefs for cords etc tend to work like this somewhat IMLHO.

Similar to a Single Noose vs a Dbl. Noose (Scaffold), Timber or Cow normal, or with the Round Turn 'collar' around the support leg(s). Or "C" waiting another Turn to make final tuck/ finish looking like ends of Square; as this compresses down to about same 'collaring'/less destabilizing than simple Turn around leg(s) of support.

Clove Hitch type / continuous direction lacings are different than non-continuous direction; for they lose tensile efficiency more (at correct angles of pull) on the 'base' way the host/ mount Turns deform Standing. i say 'base' way; for this is a given that all hitches/knots encounter.

Last edited:
I've stopped using it--it seems too bulky and clunky somehow. Instead I have become a fan of pdqdl's man-harness knot tied as a mid-line loop for an SRT anchor.

what happens if it tightens up and you can't untied it? I will always use the bowline, been using it for 21 years and put some heavy loads on it and never had it once get to tight to untie.
:clap: I agree and what is this knot the new school guys use that pulls out real fast on the ground when rigging branches?

I've stopped using it--it seems too bulky and clunky somehow. Instead I have become a fan of pdqdl's man-harness knot tied as a mid-line loop for an SRT anchor.

Ok ta fast replies, a year on nice to see all workin safe and well.

I kinda agree, I still use it but I would eh. However I have said, it does not me super confident, perhaps just to simple. While the well learned and industry trusted knots never leave you cold.
Whats this man harness? pdqdl can you post a pic or link.
I'll defend its untie, rarely cinches and after your groundie gets it, he fast n happy.

Last edited:
Whats this man harness? pdqdl can you post a pic or link.
I'll defend its untie, rarely cinches and after your groundie gets it, he fast n happy.

No problem, dude. Here is the link to the original thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=115527&highlight=pioneer+knot

My original post on this knot is post #37 of this thread:: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=77820&highlight=pioneer

Moray did some of his outstanding rope/knot testing, and the knot figured pretty well. Be sure you learn how to use the knot before you get in trouble with it! As Moray pointed out, this is a real chameleon knot; tied right but set or loaded poorly, this will slide down and make a choker on the standing end.

Last edited:
when i was lobstering we used to use a knot very simialr to these my old man called a pucker what we would do is tie an overhand knot just like moray did and back it up with a second overhand directly behind in the bitter end to keep it from slipping we used this to pucker up balls of rope when we had snarls of gear to make it easier to haul and least in 3 strand this knot was bullet proof but you have to back it up with a second knot in the bitter end, as for untieing them we usually just took the knife to it as we 3 strand 12 thread by the pound not by the foot so cost was not an issue

:clap: I agree and what is this knot the new school guys use that pulls out real fast on the ground when rigging branches?

The knot is not new I used it in the early eighties with grass rope and its simular to derwoodi knot but uses a bight in the last step and the groundie just pulls tail to untie!

Back