New to climbing, calling on experts: double security system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what second security system I can add and climb with

Here is my question: I am planning on climbing with spikes.
I have a harness (like the one shown below) and a steel wire flipline.
What can I add to my system so I can add another safety net?
I have at my disposal a couple of caribiners and a section of climbing line (7/16'' thick, rated for 6500 lbs).
Can I tie a caribiner to one end and strap it to the harness on the O ring in front of the harness (orange one), have a prusik knot on the rope so I can manage lenght and at the other end have another caribiner tied to it that is choking the tree.

Would that make sense?

Cheers

Attachments

• 3125-front.jpg
    3125-front.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 0
There are so many problems with the questions you are asking I hesitate to give any answers... you really need find someone local who can teach you on the ground... climbing isn't really something you should learn off the internet and a couple youtube videos.

Having said that, What you are describing will not work. A prussik will not work on an srt system. If you don't know what srt stands for, search through the archives here and by the time you've answered that one you will have ten more questions, and realize why you shouldn't be using spurs...

You can make an adjustable lanyard by using a Friction Hitch, usually to side Ds. But with steel core probably want gibbs type mechanical grab/pinch THRU to steel core. FYI the cam arc is Fibonacci/Nautilus shell arc to hit the magic geometry required to hit the magic geometry to work smoothly.
Then perhaps a retrievable overhead DdRT bight of line(big upside down U) terminating then reeving thru Friction Hitch as like a long overhead adjustable lanyard to front D/ring by contrast.
Failsafe 2is1, 1isNone system; with individual systems at 90 degrees to each other. Many times primary support and anti-sway secondary. But you do need local help, and youtube binging, but be wary of bad examples as well. This is an orchestration with life on the line, and as added stupidly running a high speed cutting device all around the few support threads fatigued at production paces. Everyone will do some things so naturally without noting, and other things not. Everyone unique powerbands and Achilles Heels about what parts are intuitive or even doable or not. Need to be around soaking up experience and being viewed by our own kind to make sure nothing missed in the collection of orchestrated parts.
It is far preferred to do this well enough not to need to further scar and disrupt the tree with spikes! Except perhaps if a removal, but even then mostly lean towards more no spike experience for the long game. To L-earn these things at start is more of life commitment of thinking/eating/sleeping rope/tree day and night passion; much more than weekend warrior. Just as shouldn't swim alone, should not climb alone. Should at least have groundman w/cell in truck that can figure out local phone number to nine-eleven if needed; especially in unpopulated area.

You can make an adjustable lanyard by using a Friction Hitch, usually to side Ds. But with steel core probably want gibbs type mechanical grab/pinch THRU to steel core. FYI the cam arc is Fibonacci/Nautilus shell arc to hit the magic geometry required to hit the magic geometry to work smoothly.
Then perhaps a retrievable overhead DdRT bight of line(big upside down U) terminating then reeving thru Friction Hitch as like a long overhead adjustable lanyard to front D/ring by contrast.
Failsafe 2is1, 1isNone system; with individual systems at 90 degrees to each other. Many times primary support and anti-sway secondary. But you do need local help, and youtube binging, but be wary of bad examples as well. This is an orchestration with life on the line, and as added stupidly running a high speed cutting device all around the few support threads fatigued at production paces. Everyone will do some things so naturally without noting, and other things not. Everyone unique powerbands and Achilles Heels about what parts are intuitive or even doable or not. Need to be around soaking up experience and being viewed by our own kind to make sure nothing missed in the collection of orchestrated parts.
It is far preferred to do this well enough not to need to further scar and disrupt the tree with spikes! Except perhaps if a removal, but even then mostly lean towards more no spike experience for the long game. To L-earn these things at start is more of life commitment of thinking/eating/sleeping rope/tree day and night passion; much more than weekend warrior. Just as shouldn't swim alone, should not climb alone. Should at least have groundman w/cell in truck that can figure out local phone number to nine-eleven if needed; especially in unpopulated area.
Thabk you for the detailed explanation.
I will take everything in consideration

Latest posts

Back