Windsor vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vajnis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
StiWin (4).JPG Hi, I am about to make(file/grind) my own ripping chain, in the "Granberg-style", and I got 2 chains to choose between.
One is Stihl 46RS and the other is a Windsor 63B. Both is 24" .404 and are brand new. My problem is which chain to choose for ripping and I got no experience with Windsor, so I wonder if someone here maybe could give me some advice about it. A ripping chain in .404 is hard to find here in Sweden and if I found one it would surely cost closer to $50 with shipping and that is too much for me. The Windsor chain is the one with the bigger teeth.

Use them both then convert to regular 3/8". They are both chisel chains. So I would not think that there would not be much difference once they are sharp. I have noticed that 404 chain is not so cheap in reels. I bought a 3/8 reel of semi chisel for $100 the other day, but usually they are twice that. I have had no problems with smaller chain and certainly less money. Thanks

I think I will choose the Windsor chain for ripping because it was sharper out-of-the-box than the Stihl chain and additionally, when I look att the chains side-by-side, the Windsor chain gives me a very strong impression while the Stihl chain looks like it will probably cut or mill faster. Kind a like that old story for kids, "The Tortoise and the Hare", with Stihl as the super-speedy Hare. In the end of the day I think the Windsor chain would have milled at least as much as the Stihl chain, but with a nicer finish on the boards.
I don't mean that Stihl is a bad chain, just that in this case, I personally have a stronger felling for Windsor. Yep.:yes: But maybe I choosed the wrong chain. Yup:(

It could all hinge on when/where your Windsor chain was made, if it is pre Blount & a product of Canada it will be a better than a Blount produced Windsor badged chain manufactured in any of their factory's The pre Blount Windsor chain was excellent quality, but the newer chains (although I've not used 404 size) the more popular sizes in my opinion are not of the same quality, of late Stihl chains seem to have kept constant quality.

It could all hinge on when/where your Windsor chain was made...

Yes, I understand that but I guess there's no way to visually see whether I have a "genuine" old Windsor chain or a Blount produced one.
I bought the chain on ebay 4-5 months ago, from an American seller with no other info than i should be equal to an Oregon 59L chain.

Back