New Ripping Chain Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayatollah

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been milling some oak with a Granberg ripping chain that was bought many years ago, but was new. I ordered 2 new chains from granberg a few weeks ago, and put one on today. Suddenly the slab cuts are horrible. I checked the saw over, and it seems fine. The only difference was the new chain. I'm wondering if Granberg messed up and cut these teeth wrongly. My saw is a husqvarna 460 rancher with a 24" bar. Any input would be welcome

Attachments

• IMG_20230706_135814251_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230706_135814251_HDR.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230706_135818020.jpg
    IMG_20230706_135818020.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230706_135822691.jpg
    IMG_20230706_135822691.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230706_135836740.jpg
    IMG_20230706_135836740.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230706_164724636.jpg
    IMG_20230706_164724636.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230706_164735129.jpg
    IMG_20230706_164735129.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 0
Give the chain a file.
That kind of washboarding can result from of a combination of several things being just right (or just wrong)... it's kind of like finding a bad harmonic. Filing the chain will alter the factory profile slightly & will hopefully make enough difference to fix the issue

The thread JD referenced probably mentions this, but most common out of the box new chain problem with major washboarding is .050 chain in an .063 or .058 bar. That is such severe washboarding it seems like the chain has a large amount of slop in the bar rail. and is oscillating side to side a lot. The Granberg chain w the scoring cutters is actually designed to minimize side force on the chain, so it seems like a bar slop problem. If mill is set up the same and there were zero changes but new chain, can't think of much else. You're not rocking the mill back and forth a lot are you, pushing the inside around, then the outside? I got much better results and eliminated a lot of washboarding when I went to a winch setup and let it go straight, slow, and steady.

Since switching to lo pro bars and chains for milling, I've eliminated washboarding almost completely and usually get bandsaw like cuts. May not be worth the investment for you if you don't mill a lot, but if you're milling with a 460 you'll get infinitely better results, way less stress on the saw, and go faster and smoother with 3/8LP chains and bars. I've milled 25-30" hardwoods with my 64cc Makita that most folks wouldn't dream of milling with a saw that size with regular 3/8". I hope to open an online shop in the US soon to make lo pro setups available, but for the most part right now the only way to get everything is order from this place in the UK that I buy my gear from - shipping is free and has always gotten to me within a week. This is a setup for your 460. https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product/uhds25-50wr-kit-2463cm-gb-lo-pro-milling-kitdouble-slot/

Just put a brand new Granberg ripping chain (3/8 x .063) on and have this exact same washboard issue. The bar is also pretty new (from Granberg). Got relatively smooth cuts a few days ago using an Oregon crosscut chain (while waiting for my 50 ft roll of Granberg ripping chain to arrive).

I've ready of similar issues from new chain due to rakers being set too deep, I'm going to give it an aggressive sharpening session this evening and cut a few more slabs tomorrow to see if that solves the problem. Pretty annoying to have brand new chain from Granberg that isn't ready to use without modification, but here we are.

Attachments

• IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I've ready of similar issues from new chain due to rakers being set too deep, I'm going to give it an aggressive sharpening session this evening and cut a few more slabs tomorrow to see if that solves the problem. Pretty annoying to have brand new chain from Granberg that isn't ready to use without modification, but here we are.
Was the Oregon crosscut chain already broken in or also new? Really rare for any manufacturer to set rakers too deep on new ripping chain. But I've found really sharp new teeth can still be grabby with standard shallow raker depths. I don't want to judge a manufacturing process I'm not sure about, but I gather Granberg has to custom grind regular size teeth to create their scoring cutters, and that can create an inconsistent product. I like their design idea, but if the teeth aren't manufactured in the first place in the alternate widths with perfect consistency, it opens up too much room for error to grind them that way. It's like the Woodland Pro lopro ripping chain Bailey's is selling in recent years. Some factory seems to have decided to save a buck by regrinding crosscut chain to ripping chain angle for them, leading to wildly inconsistent tooth lengths. I'd never seen it before in new chain. I thought I got one bad one, but someone else who bought it a year later found the same thing. I like Granberg, their mills are far superior to knockoffs, their bars seem to be good, but they might wanna give up on making ripping chain if they can't do it right.

Was the Oregon crosscut chain already broken in or also new? Really rare for any manufacturer to set rakers too deep on new ripping chain. But I've found really sharp new teeth can still be grabby with standard shallow raker depths. I don't want to judge a manufacturing process I'm not sure about, but I gather Granberg has to custom grind regular size teeth to create their scoring cutters, and that can create an inconsistent product. I like their design idea, but if the teeth aren't manufactured in the first place in the alternate widths with perfect consistency, it opens up too much room for error to grind them that way. It's like the Woodland Pro lopro ripping chain Bailey's is selling in recent years. Some factory seems to have decided to save a buck by regrinding crosscut chain to ripping chain angle for them, leading to wildly inconsistent tooth lengths. I'd never seen it before in new chain. I thought I got one bad one, but someone else who bought it a year later found the same thing. I like Granberg, their mills are far superior to knockoffs, their bars seem to be good, but they might wanna give up on making ripping chain if they can't do it right.
Bad chain is everywhere now. Paying extra for ripping chain is a no go for me running 100- 170 dl per loop. Grinding them doesn't fix the "bad cutter" that is usually offset or bent as produced. Fine those and you find the problem child or children so to speak. 404 68LX has been the most consistent off the reel with Oregon 375 050 full chisel full comp a close second. Stihl chain has few and far between with bad or whackedout cutters ime. Carlton chain was also good. Nothing else seems to hold up on the mill but old chain I might find from old North America manufacturers or European made reels.
Today the 8tens seems to be holding up cross cutting, I'm told. Probably try that next. Archer was disappointing 😞 to mill with or buck dead dry oaks. Too much stretch and it dulls quickly.

The thread JD referenced probably mentions this, but most common out of the box new chain problem with major washboarding is .050 chain in an .063 or .058 bar. That is such severe washboarding it seems like the chain has a large amount of slop in the bar rail. and is oscillating side to side a lot. The Granberg chain w the scoring cutters is actually designed to minimize side force on the chain, so it seems like a bar slop problem. If mill is set up the same and there were zero changes but new chain, can't think of much else. You're not rocking the mill back and forth a lot are you, pushing the inside around, then the outside? I got much better results and eliminated a lot of washboarding when I went to a winch setup and let it go straight, slow, and steady.

Since switching to lo pro bars and chains for milling, I've eliminated washboarding almost completely and usually get bandsaw like cuts. May not be worth the investment for you if you don't mill a lot, but if you're milling with a 460 you'll get infinitely better results, way less stress on the saw, and go faster and smoother with 3/8LP chains and bars. I've milled 25-30" hardwoods with my 64cc Makita that most folks wouldn't dream of milling with a saw that size with regular 3/8". I hope to open an online shop in the US soon to make lo pro setups available, but for the most part right now the only way to get everything is order from this place in the UK that I buy my gear from - shipping is free and has always gotten to me within a week. This is a setup for your 460. https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product/uhds25-50wr-kit-2463cm-gb-lo-pro-milling-kitdouble-slot/
Nice to see another lowpro enthusiast on here! My old setup was a 45cc husky running a 24” 3/8 std bar with a custom spun 3/8LP full skip chain. Probably did 30x 20-24” logs with that setup before splurging on a 2186. Now I run a 36” 3/8 .050 stihl bar with 115 links of 63PMX and the cut quality and speed is amazing. I’m now venturing into 50” bar territory and wasn’t sure if 86cc was enough to pull full comp 63PMX. I had entertained the idea of doing a grandberg grind on 63PMX but couldn’t find any long .050 bars besides the big money ones from the UK. Then I saw grandberg makes a “skip rip” 404 chain now which starts as a full skip chain then they apply a grandberg style grind to it. I’m testing it with the cheap 42” large mount stihl bar+adapter to make sure it pulls and oils ok before throwing down for the big boy 59” with the same skip rip chain. Hopefully I don’t have the same washboarding issues

Nice to see another lowpro enthusiast on here! My old setup was a 45cc husky running a 24” 3/8 std bar with a custom spun 3/8LP full skip chain. Probably did 30x 20-24” logs with that setup before splurging on a 2186. Now I run a 36” 3/8 .050 stihl bar with 115 links of 63PMX and the cut quality and speed is amazing. I’m now venturing into 50” bar territory and wasn’t sure if 86cc was enough to pull full comp 63PMX. I had entertained the idea of doing a grandberg grind on 63PMX but couldn’t find any long .050 bars besides the big money ones from the UK. Then I saw grandberg makes a “skip rip” 404 chain now which starts as a full skip chain then they apply a grandberg style grind to it. I’m testing it with the cheap 42” large mount stihl bar+adapter to make sure it pulls and oils ok before throwing down for the big boy 59” with the same skip rip chain. Hopefully I don’t have the same washboarding issues
There are a few of us lo pro folks who know how great it can work, good to see, though seemed there was way more discussion of it 10-12 years ago on here when everyone had to custom rig their lo pro setups with nothing but chain readily available, and people were machining down 8 pin .404 sprockets to 3/8LP, and putting LP nose sprockets on their bars. I'm a relative latecomer, I was interested for awhile but didn't jump in til I could get the whole bar/sprocket/chain package from the UK and understood it better. Now I've learned enough I've been able to share some useful knowledge with the UK people to help them with their offerings.

I was going to try a 10 pin LP sprocket I bought from 6K/Danzco on my 880 w the GB 48" lo pro bar, to up the speed and diminish the torque as much as possible, but thought better of getting the bar for now since I ran into issues with 28"+ hardwood with full comp on my 36" GB bar. Too many cutters engaged, not enough chip clearance. Was good still I began maxing out the bar, and then it only works at all when the chain is razor sharp. Lightning Performance gave me a good baseline for any chain when he told me past 18-20 cutters engaged, he found cutting really started to slow down significantly, and at that point you want to move to skip to get chips clearing better. I have about 21 cutters engaged with lo pro when I'm at 30" in a log. I want to try a custom "double skip" grind on lo pro that worked well for me in .404 on one 42" chain I tried it on, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Half as many cutters as full comp (taking off alternate pairs of teeth), whereas I think skip is 3/4 the number of full comp cutters, and hyperskip is 1/4 the number of cutters of full comp. I should try lo pro skip first, but it's a slightly rare beast and I think my "double skip" is more efficient and just as good a finish as skip. It's a lot less complicated than the Granberg grind and there's nothing to screw up like a bad grind from Granberg potentially could. Produced a beautiful finish in .404 on 30-32" white oak slabs. Now I have my 87cc Stihls rebuilt right, if I do get the GB 48" bar, I know they would be able to pull a 48" lo pro bar with double skip no problem so I won't bother trying to run it on the 880 and risk snapping chain too easily with the torque of the big beast. And maybe get a 9 pin LP sprocket from 6K instead as the 10 pin seems maybe a little too big for proper chain feed into the bar tail. But since the 48" GB bar is an 880 mount, I'm sure I'd try at least once w the 10 pin in the big saw just to see how it went. The 48" GB lo pro bars hardly cost any more than an off brand 50-52" 3/8 bar these days so they're not bad value.

There are a few of us lo pro folks who know how great it can work, good to see, though seemed there was way more discussion of it 10-12 years ago on here when everyone had to custom rig their lo pro setups with nothing but chain readily available, and people were machining down 8 pin .404 sprockets to 3/8LP, and putting LP nose sprockets on their bars. I'm a relative latecomer, I was interested for awhile but didn't jump in til I could get the whole bar/sprocket/chain package from the UK and understood it better. Now I've learned enough I've been able to share some useful knowledge with the UK people to help them with their offerings.

I was going to try a 10 pin LP sprocket I bought from 6K/Danzco on my 880 w the GB 48" lo pro bar, to up the speed and diminish the torque as much as possible, but thought better of getting the bar for now since I ran into issues with 28"+ hardwood with full comp on my 36" GB bar. Too many cutters engaged, not enough chip clearance. Was good still I began maxing out the bar, and then it only works at all when the chain is razor sharp. Lightning Performance gave me a good baseline for any chain when he told me past 18-20 cutters engaged, he found cutting really started to slow down significantly, and at that point you want to move to skip to get chips clearing better. I have about 21 cutters engaged with lo pro when I'm at 30" in a log. I want to try a custom "double skip" grind on lo pro that worked well for me in .404 on one 42" chain I tried it on, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Half as many cutters as full comp (taking off alternate pairs of teeth), whereas I think skip is 3/4 the number of full comp cutters, and hyperskip is 1/4 the number of cutters of full comp. I should try lo pro skip first, but it's a slightly rare beast and I think my "double skip" is more efficient and just as good a finish as skip. It's a lot less complicated than the Granberg grind and there's nothing to screw up like a bad grind from Granberg potentially could. Produced a beautiful finish in .404 on 30-32" white oak slabs. Now I have my 87cc Stihls rebuilt right, if I do get the GB 48" bar, I know they would be able to pull a 48" lo pro bar with double skip no problem so I won't bother trying to run it on the 880 and risk snapping chain too easily with the torque of the big beast. And maybe get a 9 pin LP sprocket from 6K instead as the 10 pin seems maybe a little too big for proper chain feed into the bar tail. But since the 48" GB bar is an 880 mount, I'm sure I'd try at least once w the 10 pin in the big saw just to see how it went. The 48" GB lo pro bars hardly cost any more than an off brand 50-52" 3/8 bar these days so they're not bad value.
So the beauty of low pro is that it runs fine on std 3/8 drive and nose sprockets. So you can just change chains from 3/8 std to 3/8LP without messing with swapping rims and bars. When I shop for bars I just search for the length I want in 3/8 .050 and then I’m not paying the 5x inflated prices GB likes to charge.

I would be interested in links to some of those older threads you mention where they “swap LP nose sprockets”. Seems like most the longer bars are all .404 pitch so that could be useful.

So the beauty of low pro is that it runs fine on std 3/8 drive and nose sprockets. So you can just change chains from 3/8 std to 3/8LP without messing with swapping rims and bars. When I shop for bars I just search for the length I want in 3/8 .050 and then I’m not paying the 5x inflated prices GB likes to charge.

I would be interested in links to some of those older threads you mention where they “swap LP nose sprockets”. Seems like most the longer bars are all .404 pitch so that could be useful.
That's interesting, people argued that back and forth a lot in the past about running LP on std 3/8 gear. Some found it okay, others said it would wear out your sprockets a lot faster due to the slight mismatch. I would assume though that you can't wear your teeth down as far on standard bars because at some point they're almost no wider than the bar and the bar binds up. LP bars are thinner. A guy in Missouri who I talked a lot with on another forum said that eventually got to be an issue with the standard bars he ran. I think he told me he used to get nose sprockets from Baileys but he hadn't bought anything new for his LP setups in years, and I've never seen anyone selling LP nose sprockets. I actually got all my 36" GB lo pro stuff from Chainsawbars as ex-demo packages at stupid cheap prices so didn't pay more than std gear, fair bit less actually for three 36" bars, three chains, and a sprocket. Oh yeah, I just got an ancient McCulloch w a pulley style roller nose you can run anything on, I could take it off and put it on a std long bar. That's the other solution I guess for making a std bar universal. But over 42" I haven't seen any decent bars at a decent price for the last few years, new or second hand. Waiting for this mob of enthusiasts who discovered milling during COVID to get bored with it and sell all their gear.

Why not get some standard skip 3/8 chain & do your own granberg style grind on it.
I mill a bit with a 390 which is about the same as your 2186 & it really maxes out at 42" with 3/8 so I doubt you'd get much more out of it running 404, even if it was skip Granberg

Add a drip feed axillary oil supply.
Less cutters equals less power needed.
Adjust accordingly.

Skip sets not full skip was what I said. I don't really like full skip sequence chain we commonly see available.

10 pin normally requires tail work on the bar. Tall tails just like big rims on big saws ime. That said bucking isn't good for big rims on long bars. Milling we have rpm control at our fingertips with much more control based on chain loading with a winch or push effort.

Less is more on big stuff.

3/8lp does not run right on regular 3/8 nose sprockets most times. If the rim is off the nose is off. How much depends on wear and manufacturers. It can be done but most people chewup both ends before they realize it wasn't a smooth mesh together.

Skip sets not full skip was what I said. I don't really like full skip sequence chain we commonly see available.
Didn't mean to misrepresent what you said. I just meant you said it was time to move up to some form of skip, not normal full skip necessarily, I know we're on the same page about the skip sets.

I wouldn't want to bother customizing the tail of a new 48" GB bar w the 880 mount if it worked fine with 9 pin, so if I ever did try to run 10 pin lopro on the 880 or any other saw it would likely be if I ever picked up a cheap long bar that I put an old Oregon pulley roller nose on and customized the tail of. But cheap second hand long bars about don't exist anymore. So much as I appreciate efforts to MacGyver things on the cheap, unless you have spare old bars to mess with already, I don't find the pricing of GB lo pro gear unreasonable for proper working lo pro sprockets and bars that are ready to go, considering the bar quality of GB.

When I shop for bars I just search for the length I want in 3/8 .050 and then I’m not paying the 5x inflated prices GB likes to charge.
Have an interesting bar off a 1960's McCulloch 250, I picked the saw up on a whim for $50. Don't know whether to keep the bar with the saw to make a better package for a collector, or cannibalize it for my lo pro gear. It's a 25" bar .050 gauge with a pulley roller tip. Can run anything .050, was designed for McCulloch's odd .404 .050 setups. Be a nice 25" lo pro bar if I modified the 9.5mm slot in the tail to 12mm for a Stihl and drilled new oil holes.

Didn't mean to misrepresent what you said. I just meant you said it was time to move up to some form of skip, not normal full skip necessarily, I know we're on the same page about the skip sets.

I wouldn't want to bother customizing the tail of a new 48" GB bar w the 880 mount if it worked fine with 9 pin, so if I ever did try to run 10 pin lopro on the 880 or any other saw it would likely be if I ever picked up a cheap long bar that I put an old Oregon pulley roller nose on and customized the tail of. But cheap second hand long bars about don't exist anymore. So much as I appreciate efforts to MacGyver things on the cheap, unless you have spare old bars to mess with already, I don't find the pricing of GB lo pro gear unreasonable for proper working lo pro sprockets and bars that are ready to go, considering the bar quality of GB.
I still find long bars if I go looking. Most are found in places where old saws hide.

Cutting tails and moving holes around goes quickly if you did enough of them.

Finding good condition roller nose bars is tough. Finding whipped old sprocket nose bars is easy. Getting the correct nose tips is what aspect you should be looking at first imho. May will say buy the bar before the parts. I disagree.

Rivets are the least of your worries. Find the good needed first preferably NOS fir what you want. The bars are around and quality steel is never cheap.

Good sell themselves if not needed.

Have an interesting bar off a 1960's McCulloch 250, I picked the saw up on a whim for $50. Don't know whether to keep the bar with the saw to make a better package for a collector, or cannibalize it for my lo pro gear. It's a 25" bar .050 gauge with a pulley roller tip. Can run anything .050, was designed for McCulloch's odd .404 .050 setups. Be a nice 25" lo pro bar if I modified the 9.5mm slot in the tail to 12mm for a Stihl and drilled new oil holes.
Sell it to me. I need an 050 404 bar for my nice 250 McCullough to move along for others to enjoy. Like it to leave as a complete working runner for gtg stuff. The saw is an original clean surviving runner.

Sell it to me. I need an 050 404 bar for my nice 250 McCullough to move along for others to enjoy. Like it to leave as a complete working runner for gtg stuff. The saw is an original clean surviving runner.
Will think about it. Same boat with mine, though not a complete working runner at moment. I think it likely just needs rings, no more, though. Nice shape otherwise, good Tillotson carb. I don't need a lo pro bar in that size really so probably better kept w the McCulloch. Will hang on to it a bit more til I figure out if I have time or inclination to get the McCulloch going, will sell you the bar if I don't. Saw had just enough compression to run when I bought it, but on the 16:1 40 weight mix, and not that great, when I switched to 40:1 two cycle will only sputter and die.

Latest posts

Back