Wood ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. Mainus

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Were running into a couple of these in this last load of logs were processing. Anyone have an idea? Cuts really easy, seems pretty soft actually. Haven't split any of it yet. Pretty light not real dense. Logs are nice and straight and some are fairly good size. Usually have a fairly good idea of what I'm cutting but this one has me stumped.IMG_2891.JPGIMG_2890.JPGIMG_2889.JPG

Looking at the way the bark is peeling I'd say some species of aspen/poplar. And looking at how some of that has water stains and/or fungus growing on it I'd guess it's either been dead or down for a while.

I'd go with basswood but I've never seen big poplar to know if it has husks like basswood. I know smaller poplar does.

I didn't know BW had husks like that.

Basswood up here has more of an X pattern like ash except the color is darker.

Couple I have had to chop up after a storm did. Same with the cottonwood. Cottonwood was much heavier and bark much deeper.

Interesting.

That seems like a type of poplar more than Aspen and definitely not cottonwood. Still could be basswood too. It's tough to tell for certain things those pics.

Cottonwood and Aspen are nearly identical but CW is more furrowed at the base and holds the black/dark grey furrowed bark further up the tree.

Cool! We never see big aspen but have a ton of cottonwood and some basswood. It works for fire pit wood. I had no idea what flavor it was and an old timer pointed it out. Think I still got some around and if I do I'll split a piece this spring. Lost a couple trees on the lake side when a big ol' cottonwood got hit by lighting and crashed into some others. Very pretty with the flowers.

Back