Would this cause my saw to score the piston?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the saw was a basket case before ya sent it?
I don't think so. it ran perfectly and had no isissues with running. I got the saw originally with a chunk missing around the oil fill cap. so I needed a flywheel side case half to make it ususable. nmurph sent me a case half and I rebuilt the saw.

this saw did seem to have a air leak and I couldn't pin point it so I ask nmurph to look it over. he had some medical issues and 8 months later he sent it back with a leak still. he didn't test it either. it ended up being a bad partition wall and intake leak. after I replaced those items I was forced to pull the top end and settled for a 353 top for this saw. the 353 jug was on it when the builder got it with no running issues. I had been using it for the past year and seen the 346 jug for sale and decided I wanted to get it thinking it would make more power.

so I say no it was not a basket case. just a rebuilt work saw...

Sounds like the saw was a basket case before ya sent it?
I don't think so. it ran perfectly and had no isissues with running. I got the saw originally with a chunk missing around the oil fill cap. so I needed a flywheel side case half to make it ususable. nmurph sent me a case half and I rebuilt the saw.

this saw did seem to have a air leak and I couldn't pin point it so I ask nmurph to look it over. he had some medical issues and 8 months later he sent it back with a leak still. he didn't test it either. it ended up being a bad partition wall and intake leak. after I replaced those items I was forced to pull the top end and settled for a 353 top for this saw. the 353 jug was on it when the builder got it with no running issues. I had been using it for the past year and seen the 346 jug for sale and decided I wanted to get it thinking it would make more power.

so I say no it was not a basket case. just a rebuilt work saw...

If I were paid to build this saw, I would insist you sent it back for complete tear down and inspection... Then get it running proper...
And for these exact reasons, I would never build a saw for anyone but me.
Too much potential problems.
But accepting $ for a job means standing behind your work 110% or don't do it at all..
Builder step up...

If I were paid to build this saw, I would insist you sent it back for complete tear down and inspection... Then get it running proper...
And for these exact reasons, I would never build a saw for anyone but me.
Too much potential problems.
But accepting $ for a job means standing behind your work 110% or don't do it at all..
Builder step up...
Well put Matt!

l understand the op not wanting to 'name and shame' a builder due to that builders fan club jumping all over him and he don't want the stress. The only problem with this is it keeps the door wide open for other honest members to go through what the op has and l believe this site really comes down to sharing information for the benefit of the wider community as well as ourselves. AS traders base their business model on trust from the membership so they must take the good with the bad. lts hard being a man some times and takes courage to stand up for others as well as ourselves. l hope the op ends up with a good outcome and its good to hear some fine menbers are helping him get there.

Perhaps those of us who desire to know the ID of the builder could get it through PM. The whole idea that someone said "richen it up" to compensate for a known air leak is ridiculous.
And I certainly understand the mob mentality -- you call him out and all the buds come running. However, I do believe that compensation is in order. At the least let others know that his ethics are less than desirable for future customers. Otherwise you have to be the most gracious customer he has ever seen.

Back