Your worst chainsaw injury

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worst saw-chain injury happened while our little tornado-cleanup crew was taking-10 in the grass. Forgot that my little Echo was behind me when I reached back before kicking back further. Slashed the right palm. RN resident made me accept bandaging, but that only stayed in place with some duct tape on top. Held up til quitting-time.

Saw-chain is dangerous always. Doh! :rolleyes:

I know I don't cut as often as some of you, but when I do, I'm all safety. Never lost a drop of blood in regards to running a chainsaw.

BTW.....been around firearms since age 8. I've never had an AD or a ND in my life. That includes military service and 30 yrs. as a cop.

I don't plan on changing anything at this stage in my life either.

This last tuesday i dropd a 3000lbs hanger on my foot wasnt trying 2 thankfully i had steeltoes on but it still crushd the steeltoe and broke my foot i must say ive never had such a big bruise in my life its from my ankle 2 the tips of my toes

Luckily not me. But buddy hit his leg right where his smartphone was, shredded his jeans and destroyed his phone but no blood.
On Tuesday my BIL had a log from a log load crush his R pointer finger from middle knuckle to tip, CRUSH. They aren't sure if it can be saved yet.

I remember a time from when I was about ten. My dad and his pal Dave where cutting from a log pile. I was in the house. I heard some yelling and the saws stopped. As I went outside my dad ran past me with his shirt off (my dad never ran). Then Dave ran past with his arm up in the air and my dad's shirt pressed onto his arm. They got into my dad's truck and peeled out of the driveway. I found out later Dave had a nasty kick back which brought the bar across his bicep. Dave was a big guy, with huge arms. That was a very nasty cut which left a terrible scar. My mom takes pictures of everything, but can't find this one (I've asked her to find it more than once).

I will never forget that day. I think of it every time I fire up a saw.

I've thankfully never had a chainsaw injury, but I did kick an old tree stump and the roots came up and went right through my pants into my crotch. ER doctor said I was lucky it wasn't any lower or I wouldn't of been able to have kids.

It's been a few years, I was cutting a load of firewood by myself. It was starting to get dark in the brush but I wanted to get 1 last log pulled out. I was carving a trail in the brush, to access the log, when the tip of my bar hit a limb that was about chest high. It was a serious kickback, it went clear over my shoulder. At first, I thought I escaped with nothing more than a damn close call, then I noticed blood pouring all over my arm, leg, & boot...I mean, REALLY pouring! I went for the truck & looked in the mirror, holy ****, my left ear was dangling by a thread of skin. My first thought was, I better get rollin' before I bleed out. I left everything layin' & got in the truck & was ready to git when, suddenly, the bleeding stopped...almost entirely! So, I got back out, loaded the wood that I had already cut, picked up my tools & saw (just picture, all the while, my ear dangling in the breeze).

The hospital was about a 4 mile drive, but I stopped at the house first, which was directly enroute. Wifey about freaked out when I walked through the door ( later, she said I looked like a butchered elk). We went to the horse pistol & Doc Gardner sewed my ear back on. He did a nice job, too, it looks just like the other one.

Moral of the story is, don't use your chainsaw to carve a trail through the brush, unless you can see where yer goin'.

Chainsaw: 35 years ago a trip to ER to stitch up left hand from a bow saw kickback - it would likely have decapitated me if I wasn't standing to the side as taught me by my dad - the old 35# gear drive saw went completely over my head.

Chainsaw related: 48 years ago I spent Thanksgiving Day in surgery having my right thumb essentially reattached. My dad never went into the woods without his machete which he kept razor sharp. I slipped in the mud and slid down the blade. 4 years ago, I spent a year on stoke watch restricted to practically no assertion after I shredded the lining of my carotid artery moving a 4 foot plus round. Going back in two weeks for another CAT scan - I have had enough radioactive dye injected in me over the past four years that my brain should glow. :dizzy: Hey, maybe that explains all my worthless posts.

I wish I could say these are all my chainsaw related injuries, doctor visits and ER trips but they aren't. I dare say no one who cuts much can remain injury free for a lifetime; sooner or later if your saw doesn't get you something else will.

Ron

Cutting firewood one morning, and hit the underside of a limb, the bar kicked down just as I let off the throttle, and cut a slight gash in my left kneecap.
I'd been cutting trees all my life, and never once thought about the dangers. Then, on that morning, as I started to the woods, I suddenly remembered a dream I'd been having, but couldn't recall it when I'd wake up. In the dream I cut my left knee with a chainsaw. Man; that was a weird feeling. So, I went back home, and found some old coonhunting chaps, and took them to the woods. Coonhunting Chaps don't stop a saw chain any better than butter on a hot summer day. That evening, I orderd a pair of Chainsaw Chaps, and have been wearing them when using the chainsaw ever since.

I know I don't cut as often as some of you, but when I do, I'm all safety. Never lost a drop of blood in regards to running a chainsaw.

BTW.....been around firearms since age 8. I've never had an AD or a ND in my life. That includes military service and 30 yrs. as a cop.

I don't plan on changing anything at this stage in my life either.
So you are just gonna remain an arrogant jackass until you keel over? Sweet.
image.jpg

Clearing a blowdown on one of our trails at deer camp. Jut got my 562XP and was having a ball. A clump of autumn olive was in my way so I bent down to take the whole clump out at one time. Bad kick-back. Skip tooth caught the edge of my chaps but not quick enough.

Bucking a log I stuck a wedge up top of the cut a nd when I started the cut again the saw kicked back, hit the wedge, wedge comes flying up and smacks me in the face, eyes and forehead area. Left a nice cut and lump but no stitches, good thing I had safety glasses.

i tripped over my saw once after sharpening it with sliders on.
got a cut on my big toe.
that sucked.

I have cut my fingers. Worst injuries I have had have all been being hit by trees and branches and falling down.

Been lucky. Took a hit to my right thigh once, not real bad. I fixed it up with butterfly bandages, duct tape and glue. Other time I laid open the underside of my right index finger. Reached across the still moving chain to grab a stick. Wouldn't have been a big deal but I was still a Trooper back then and it was my trigger finger. Worst part was getting lectured on chainsaw safety by some Lt. from Long Island who'd never even seen a chainsaw before. Other than that it's been burns on mufflers, cuts while sharpening and jabbing myself with the bucking spikes a couple times.

Guy I worked with had an 051 kick back and catch him in the throat somehow. Pretty gruesome. So he gets his Mom to drive him to the ER and Mom starts having a heart attack enroute. So he drove them both in. Quite a scene at the ER I'm told!

So you are just gonna remain an arrogant jackass until you keel over? Sweet.
View attachment 397558

I hope you're not counting the days, cause it's gonna be a while.

If for no other reason what-so-ever, just to spite you. Well......and Guido too. ;)

:laugh: I split a fingernail and it chipped my nail polish one time last year, even though I had on my flower print gardening gloves.

You guys are tough on knees & legs with all those suture pics, but "I have a potty mouth" if you don't wear chaps & leather gloves while cutting!

I've never been injured myself, but I have put the hurting on my buddy. He says the orange safety gear I wear is a warning to all around me to keep their distance.

Back