60cc’s. Ultimate firewood saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 630 is my first Jonsered. I like the choke/high idle arrangement on that saw over the husky’s. Chain brake is a little funky, the flag has quite a bit of slop in it compared to the husky’s of that era. 630 is closed transfer port which I like. It’s basically a red husky 162. I’ve upgraded the carb and muffler, for all intents and purposes it’s now a 630 super.
I have a wide array of Jred saws

I'm thinking, and that could be dangerous...

I cut firewood as a secondary source of heat, maybe one or two cords a year. I use an MS271 for this. I have been wondering if a larger saw, maybe in the 60cc range, might be more comfortable and more efficient...

Any thoughts on this? Getting a fifth saw won't be a problem for me.
Though it may seem crazy for 2 cords per year, all I can tell you is that I really like my MS500i. Yes, it is expensive (though I paid "only" $1180 for mine.) But I like having a 5 second cut time through 12" white oak and a 10 second time in 18" red oak. And it does not feel that heavy.

What sort-of wood are you cutting?
I've never seen a 60cc saw, ported or not running a 8 pin well, much less a 9, but this is with 3/8 chain. I believe the 8 pin .325 is the same size as a 3/8" 7 pin?
Both my 360's were muffler modded as well. Mostly ran 16" bars on them, but occasionally 20". Even with a 16" bar and a 7pin 3/8" chain they still did not cut all that well IMO.
Mostly shagbark hickory, but occasionally some white oak, red oak, and black locust. I cut a little bit of walnut and ash if they are down and in the way. Otherwise I don't waste my time with them.

I'd have to double check, but I think the kerf on a .325 chain is narrower than a standard 3/8 chain. I think a lot of it also depends on exactly how a person runs a saw. We each have our own way of doing it in regards to how much torque and weight we put on the saw. I don't lean on mine much. With .325 chain, a 7 pin rim, and .025" rakers, it seamed like I could lean and torque on the saw as hard as I wanted with the bar mostly buried and I couldn't stop the saw. On smaller stuff (8" and under), I could torque against the spikes and stop it, but it was hard to stop on stuff that was over 12". With a 9 pin rim, and lower rakers, I can definitely stop the saw, but if I just let it cut on its own, it eats plenty fast.

Latest posts

Back