ms 260...losing bar oil badly.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Reaction score
Hey guys, My 260 is almost new, well it's about 2 years old and used a little, not too much. Everytime I take it out of the case, the case is full of bar oil. I thought the cap was bad so I changed it. Just looked again awhile ago and still oil everywhere.

I was just wondering where you guys would check for the leak? It seems like it may be coming from under it somewheres. Maybe a gasket? If you guys could steer me to a few places to check I would be in debt to you. :)

I will be at work for a few hours so if I don't reply back right away I will in a few. Thankx alot.

Hello Anthony:

I've had this same problem with a 026. It's been like that since the day I bought it new (sometime in the 80s?). I've had it checked several times, they can't find a problem. I've checked it many times, I can't located any leaks.

I thought it might be pressure building up in the oil tank, & opened the cap to let it vent before putting the saw away. Didn't make any difference!

Finally, I just gave up, & drained the oil after each use. Don't laugh, no more oil filled saw case!

If you ever locate the problem, let me know what it was.

Respects,

Richard

Well guys same shoes for me . I have 024 a 026 they both in a couple of months may have a drop or 2 on the shelf . The MS260 is good everytime I check it then if I dont look for a month or so the oil is running off the shelf . I cant figure out where it is comeing from either .
I also agree once the tank is empty it stops leaking , crazy how well that works .

that's just the oil that runs off the bar and collects in the bottom of the case, every saw does it pretty much, there probably isn't any leaks to be concerned about..

To make sure its a leak and not oil daining from it collecting after useage put it on the floor on a rag or something for a couple of days then move it somewhere else and see if it still makes a puddle after it has plenty of time to drain down.

Frtreeman:

Not so.

I own an 038 from the same time frame, and find no oil in the case, even if the saw has sat for a months. I also have an 039, no oil in that case after sitting. I just bought a MS 362, it shows no oil in the case after sitting either.

The only saw I own that will put about 3/4" of oil in the case after sitting, is my 026, and it has done it since the day it was bought.

Richard

Frtreeman:

Not so.

I own an 038 from the same time frame, and find no oil in the case, even if the saw has sat for a months. I also have an 039, no oil in that case after sitting. I just bought a MS 362, it shows no oil in the case after sitting either.

The only saw I own that will put about 3/4" of oil in the case after sitting, is my 026, and it has done it since the day it was bought.

Richard

I've had a number of saws that have done it and just as many that have not, spanning several different brands and models. Many, many saws drop oil after they are shut off. In my case, it's never been very much oil, and because of that I've never worried about it. Now if I filled the oil reservoir, made a half dozen cuts, and put the saw away only to find that the reservoir had drained down a lot or emptied, I'd suspect a leak. If it's only a quarter-sized spot, don't sweat it. Just make sure you put a rag/paper towels under it when you put it away. Or better yet, let it sit on the ground near where you are cutting for several minutes after you are done cutting (this works better in the woods than your yard, for obvious reasons).

Have you tried storing it on the side? ( bar side ) Worked on the leaking Huskys I have.

Are you currently working for BP?? Try a smaller inverted funnel, it might help. Seriously, just store your saws on something absorbent like a sheet of cardboard or store you saws without oil and mix. Every saw is a little different. The only saw that I have that leaks is a husky350 and it will only leak in the winter. I think it has something to do with it getting very cold at night and then very warm during the day.

your oil tank vent might be faulty. It should look like a little silver button around or under the metal inner guide plate. It will have a hole in the middle. try blowing some carb cleaner through it or get a service manual and look into replacing it.

that's just the oil that runs off the bar and collects in the bottom of the case, every saw does it pretty much, there probably isn't any leaks to be concerned about..

I suspect it can vary with different bars - those with "lubri-dam" or similar features will be less likely to do it (or do less of it).

I suspect it can vary with different bars - those with "lubri-dam" or similar features will be less likely to do it (or do less of it).

Good point.
I've found that the Oregon bars without the "lubri-dam" will leak back more than say a Dolmar or Stihl German made bar. "This is only my opinion though".
Some of the Husky and Stihl bars are made by Oregon,I think, and they seemed to leak a bit more. My 390xp has a "lubri-dam" bar and doesn't loose a drop,nor do the German made Stihl bars.:greenchainsaw:

Well I can say thast it's not the oil draining from the bar. It sat in the case for a few weeks. I took it out to look it over and when I seen all the oil, I took it and replaced the cap, didnt run it, and put it back. Looked in today and there was all the oil again.

I'm losing like half a tank at a time. Theres so much on the bottom of the sw that I dont know where to start looking for a leak. I hate the mess.

Well I can say thast it's not the oil draining from the bar. It sat in the case for a few weeks. I took it out to look it over and when I seen all the oil, I took it and replaced the cap, didnt run it, and put it back. Looked in today and there was all the oil again.

I'm losing like half a tank at a time. Theres so much on the bottom of the sw that I dont know where to start looking for a leak. I hate the mess.

That's too much oil.

What I'd do is completely clean the excess oil off the saw, remove the sprocket cover and bar/chain, fill with oil and run for a few minutes, clean it off again and put the saw on something like a narrow length of wood, so you can see it from the sprocket side and also see the bottom of the saw. Note where it's coming out and go from there.

Now, maybe this is a stupid question, but might you have a loose bar bolt/stud? The holes in the saw that the studs thread into go right into the bar lube reservoir, and a loose stud might allow oil in a stored saw to drain down until it gets below the level of the stud. That happened to me once on an 028. Just a thought. Let's hope it's not a crack in the oil reservoir.

I see it alot, and IMO, it might have something to do with the positioning of the oil pump at any given time. When it's in the right spot, it seems oil will pass right through, Other times, not so bad. That family of saws (1121) seems more prone than most. I've never got a good response from Stihl on it. The HT75's were bad also.

I had this happening on my 360 pro. It would pretty much drain the oil tank. It leaked oil from day 1, but after I wore out my first bar, bought a new one and it hasn't leaked ever since. Not sure if this could have solved it or not, but it did stop. Then again, could be coincidence.

I am still on my first bar with it. Ya never know. I have noticed that just every once in a blue moon it wont leak out. Maybe 1 out of 20 times.

I have the same problem with my Stihl 020T. Sat in the case for years without losing a drop, now 1/2 or more of the oil tank will drain into the case. There must be a leak somewhere. What is supposed to keep the oil in the tank? Is there some sort of valve that opens during operation?

I am still on my first bar with it. Ya never know. I have noticed that just every once in a blue moon it wont leak out. Maybe 1 out of 20 times.

Then it sounds to me like Stihl86 has you on the right track. If there was an actual leak (like a cracked housing or loose stud), it'd be leaking every time.

My mint 026 pro is the same way!!!

It works perfectly when you are using the saw.
If you leave bar oil in the tank, it may stay in there for a day or a week but it WILL come out.
I've tried everything short of storing it on the recoil side and it will still soil its bed.

I intend to investigate and fix it someday.

Mike

Back