ms 260...losing bar oil badly.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mint 026 pro is the same way!!!

It works perfectly when you are using the saw.
If you leave bar oil in the tank, it may stay in there for a day or a week but it WILL come out.
I've tried everything short of storing it on the recoil side and it will still soil its bed.

I intend to investigate and fix it someday.

Mike

Thats a perfect match with my 260's symptoms. I'm going to look into it this weekend. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Frtreeman:

Not so.

I own an 038 from the same time frame, and find no oil in the case, even if the saw has sat for a months. I also have an 039, no oil in that case after sitting. I just bought a MS 362, it shows no oil in the case after sitting either.

The only saw I own that will put about 3/4" of oil in the case after sitting, is my 026, and it has done it since the day it was bought.

Richard
I have several that do and several that don't, I have about 35 saws......

I had 19 saws on the floor of my shop at one time needing different repairs for this or that. I think I had 19 puddles of one size or another.

If it's leaking 1/2 a tank it's probably the flippy cap.

I thought it was the cap ,changed it...still leaking. Little things like leaky saws drive me nutzo.

I think this is kind of like a dog thing,some just like marking their territory more than others!

To figure out oil leaks, I fill the tank with gas/mix, it is easier to find the
problem as it leaks more quickly, and when you use the blowgun, the area
close to the leak gets clean quickly.

Just what I do...........

Its always been the vent on the Stihls I have. Hard to see but keep it clean and no major leakage. The dealer even warned me about it when I bought them.

Good point.
I've found that the Oregon bars without the "lubri-dam" will leak back more than say a Dolmar or Stihl German made bar. "This is only my opinion though".
Some of the Husky and Stihl bars are made by Oregon,I think, and they seemed to leak a bit more. My 390xp has a "lubri-dam" bar and doesn't loose a drop,nor do the German made Stihl bars.:greenchainsaw:

All Dolmar bars I have seen (or heard of) have been rebadged Oregons - but maybe it once was different?

Oregon made Stihl bars mostly is a Canadian "deal", but some have leaked into the US. The ones with the "dam" are the "E-matic" ones.

I thought it was the cap ,changed it...still leaking. Little things like leaky saws drive me nutzo.

Are you sure you are closing the cap properly?

Anyway, with a leak this large, it should be easy to see which side of the saw it comes from. Put it on a newspaper (outside the case), and keep an eye on the development.

I had a drippy MS660 and it turned out to be the oil tank vent that was leaking. The vent has a small valve that is supposed to let air in when the tank empties but the valve is supposed to close when the saw is not running and drawing oil from the tank. I took the bar and the little guide plate off and I cleaned everything up and let it sit overnight. This is what I saw the next morning - oil was flowing out of the little aluminum colored vent valve that is located on the backside of the bar:

attachment.php

I dumped the oil out of the tank, sloshed some gasoline in to clean things out, then blew compressed air in through the side of the vent that faces the bar. I could hear the air rushing into the oil tank and did this a few times. I can't remember if I blew any carb cleaner, brake cleaner or gas into the vent to help clean any debris out. I then put it all back together and it has not dripped any since.

This may be a problem on the 260 saws as well. When the oil tank pulls air in the tank a small piece of wood dust can get stuck in the vent valve.

Last edited:
I had a drippy MS660 and it turned out to be the oil tank vent that was leaking. The vent has a small valve that is supposed to let air in when the tank empties but the valve is supposed to close when the saw is not running and drawing oil from the tank. I took the bar and the little guide plate off and I cleaned everything up and let it sit overnight. This is what I saw the next morning - oil was flowing out of the little aluminum colored vent valve that is located on the backside of the bar:

attachment.php

I dumped the oil out of the tank, sloshed some gasoline in to clean things out, then blew compressed air in through the side of the vent that faces the bar. I could hear the air rushing into the oil tank and did this a few times. I can't remember if I blew any carb cleaner, brake cleaner or gas into the vent to help clean any debris out. I then put it all back together and it has not dripped any since.

This may be a problem on the 260 saws as well. When the oil tank pulls air in the tank a small piece of dust can get stuck in the vent valve.

Great post...tried to rep ya but it says no way. Someone send that man some rep.

attachment.php

This may be a problem on the 260 saws as well. When the oil tank pulls air in the tank a small piece of dust can get stuck in the vent valve.

There you go. I was reading the thread to see if anyone had posted this yet. I suspect this is your issue.

I've got to check the vent on my 038. It doesn't really leak oil heavily. But it coats the bottom of the saw with a thin layer every time it sits.

Bar oil is one of those liquids that a small amount can make a big mess. Know what I mean?

I've got to check the vent on my 038. It doesn't really leak oil heavily. But it coats the bottom of the saw with a thin layer every time it sits.

Bar oil is one of those liquids that a small amount can make a big mess. Know what I mean?

there is a gasket between the case and the pump body on 038.
there is also a small seal on the pump drive behind the big gear.

while i don't know if the seal is actually sealing oil or is there to keep the innards of the pump free of debris, i would suspect that a failure of either the gasket or the seal would cause a leak.

Back