RedMax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Longnecker

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the RedMax saw as to its quality and durability? Specifically, the G2500TS, G3100T, G3800AVS, G455AVS, or G5000AVS? I know they are PRICEY.

HI
I recently became a RedMax dealer. I have sold a few of the small G3100T's and the customers have nothing bad to say about the. I just started to take a look inside one of the G5000AVS's. From what I have seen so far, I am impressed with it. Some of the saws features are,Walbro fully adjustable carb, side chain adjuster that is built in the side cover. It also has some of the nicest quad transfer ports that I have ever seen on a small saw. It also uses a dome 2 ring piston. Just out of curiosity, I checked the compression on the saw. It has 180 pound and that was before the saw was ever started from new. I made a few test cuts with the saw and it is in the same class as the 026 Stihl, maybe a little faster then the 026. When I get some free time I will take some pictures of the saw, inside and out, before and after porting. I think that this one is a winner.
Later
Dan

Redmax user

I have a G5000AVS with 400 tanks of gas put through it. It is just slightly slower in softwood than either of my 026's or my 346's. It runs dirtier than them as well. It feels better in my hands though and because of this I use it every day. My dealer let me have it for $500.00 Canadian. I plan to get another one after I put a years work on this one.

Hi Ben
I will take some pictures later on tonight and post them. I will also make some timed cuts with it and a stock 026 and see what happens. I can use the same chain but not the bar. These have the same bar mount as the Husky 346. The one that I have here now was running at 12500, I leaned it out to 13500 and it will still four stroke at that RPM. The saw is a strong runner and I think that after porting theses saws will impress a lot of people. I see no reason why these saws should not be screamer. The design is there, all that I have to do is figure out what port timing numbers they are going to like.
Later
Dan

Saw a 455 and almost bought it, but it did not have a 3 screw carb, so I passed on it.

It looked plasticky, but as with Shindaiwa, that is deceptive, because it had a solid quality to it.

I have a RedMax Stratocharged line trimmer which is just about as good as my Echo and Shindaiwa trimmers. It has an interesting little hotrod-sounding engine that was so tightly toleranced when new that you could tell it was being held back by the friction. Now it is a screamer.

RedMax G5000AVS
Here is a picture of the flywheel side of the saw. It has two started dogs, Stihl 026 has one.
It gets its carb air from the inside of the flywheel fins, not like the husky that's gets its air from the outside. They claim that the fins blow all of the chips to the outside and lets the air clean on the inside. If you think about it, it does make sense. I have yet to find on piece of dirt on the air filter.
Later
Dan

The muffler bolts are not threaded in the barrel, more like some of the larger Stihl saws and some of the Husky's. I do like that design. If you cant remove the bolt, just cut the nut and bolt off and then replace it. No more broken bolts in the barrel and no more Helicoils.
The barrel also has a hole on the casting for a compression release. I wished the saw had one. It would be a welcome feature on this saw. I was going to install one but for some odd reason the hole is behind the top handle.
There is a rubber intake boot between the carb and the barrel.

Here is a picture of the quad transfer ports. If you look close at my poor picture, you will see that the base gasket already has a cut out, straight below the transfers. I guess that they made it that way for me. LOL I was then able to drop the transfer straight out the bottom of the barrel. The nice part about this is that they already have the case milled out for this.

Here is a picture of the domed, two ring piston.
Note the battle scar on my finger. Ax damage from years back, they cut flesh as well as wood. It a small scar for the way it was opened up. I hate to see that red juice leaking out of me.That was my first attempt at playing doctor. I taped it back together. Red Green would have liked it but I didn't use duct tape.

Aluminum Air filter adapter.
Its not plastic like most other company's use. It also works as a heat sink. Its only about a 45 degree bend instead of the 90s that the other company's use. Less bend, less resistance ,better air flow.

I did port this one and the only thing that I can say is WOWWWW.
I think that we have a winner here.
When I started the saw for the first time, the tach went to 17700 before I had a chance to let go of the throttle. I then had to enlarge the jets in the Walbro wt. I then got the saw to for stroke at 15500. This saw like rpms. I set it back to 14600 until I get some time on it. Then I will turn it loose.
It sounds like a ported 346 on steroids.
I didn't make any timed cuts with this one yet but from the feel of it, the 346 and the 026s may have a serious problem.
When I get some free time( Like I ever get any) I will pipe this one.
I will take some pictures of the outside of the saw. It reminds me of a smaller version of a Jonsered 670.
Later
Dan

Back