RedMax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rick, ya swamp slut. Have I missed out on any good pissing matches while I was gone?

It seems the tension around here is so thick it can be cut with a chainsaw. Don't make me come down there and speedbag somebody. Let's get this party started. It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down. That's a tune by Neil Young who is despised by Lenord Skinard and why wouldn't he be after singing that Alabama song?
What's wrong with this video?

Redmax quality

After putting 12 tanks through my new G5000, I am ready to put two Jonsy 490's up for sale. Lighter, very well balanced, cuts like fury. She's definitely a keeper. Wonder what the bigger Redmax is like, the 621.

After putting 12 tanks through my new G5000, I am ready to put two Jonsy 490's up for sale. Lighter, very well balanced, cuts like fury. She's definitely a keeper. Wonder what the bigger Redmax is like, the 621.

This is an old post you are asking questions on. 2004, however were did you get your 5000 red max? you can't get them(NEW) in Canada anymore. If I could I would HAVE ONE!

Redmax saw sources

I got my G5000 from a place in South Carolina recently. I had been using a fine Jonsy 490 for years, but had heard that the Redmax was worth looking at. I found one for 275 plus shipping and bought it. I wish it had the decompressor button, but I can manage. It is very fast and zips through wood very rapidly. It is very smooth, relatively quiet, and very well balanced.
I tend to look around some and if I come across a 5000 for a good price, do you want me to alert you? Remember that Husqvarna bought Redmax and their latest saws like the 440, 445 have the Redmax engine improvements in them. Like, the cleaner air from mid-flywheel instead of the periphery. I am not sure, however, if the Huskys have all the qualities of the Redmax engines, like the rounded pistons, specific porting differences, etc. My Husky was made in 2004 and I think it is a terrific saw, easily as good as the best of other good makes. I rather doubt there is a better saw in this size range. I looked at Shindaiwa and I understand many people like them. The Redmax is a cute little saw, very compact, very well balanced, and it cuts like the bejabbers.

Regards,

Mike

There is a 621 with 20 inch bar at the shop that I can get for $250 with 2 chains. Even with the extra chain tied to it, it is noticeably lighter than my MS 390. It barely even has a scratch on it and it is very hard not to just drop some cash, Christmas be damned. (I'm not getting any presents.:mad:)

One question, the serial number is stamped and in front of it, in black, is (2004), is that the year? I know you guys can talk me out of buying it.:monkey:

Last edited:
Oh man :dizzy: my head hurt after reading that garbage! Is that an isolated incident or was this what it was like around here??!! Don't get me wrong pokin fun and a little jawing and such is a good time but that guy is clinical!

There is a 621 with 20 inch bar at the shop that I can get for $250 with 2 chains. Even with the extra chain tied to it, it is noticeably lighter than my MS 390. It barely even has a scratch on it and it is very hard not to just drop some cash, Christmas be damned. (I'm not getting any presents.:mad:)

One question, the serial number is stamped and in front of it, in black, is (2004), is that the year? I know you guys can talk me out of buying it.:monkey:

I have a 621, good saw. Good torque, nicely built. I don't like the chain tensioner location -- the screw head is in front between the bar and the inside dog, not the most accessible location -- but that's my only gripe. I think I paid $250 for mine used (but like new) and haven't regretted it. And the oiler rocks. Plenty of oil on max and adjustable, with the adjustment knob right on top, not an itty-bitty screw at the bottom of a hole in the bottom of the saw that's covered in chips and bar oil. Makes up for the chain tensioner screw head being too small and hard to get to, I guess.

Oops, I see now that I was supposed to talk you OUT of buying it.

Jack

Last edited:
I see this an old thread but if I can still find one of these g5000s I will jump on it, ps what do you use to port. Small dremel grinder or equivalent. I will leave mine stock until ring time man 3.6 hp stock yours must be pushing who knows how much. Do you just smooth the intake and exaust ports for better flow or are there certain angles involved. Thanks and thats a great saw. I notice the only diff between the tanaka 5601 is the handle and compression release.

Latest posts

Back