RedMax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike
A few years ago I posted times of a saw that I ported. I had the times posted of before and after. That thread turned into a full scale argument. So I don't like to post any more times.
Stock out of the box this saw will cut beside a stock 026 or 346.
Once this saw is ported to its favorite set of numbers, it comes alive better then the other two.
I am sure that you will here more about this saw in the future.
I think that you will find out that the ported 346 just took a back seat in the performance department.
This RedMax in faster then any 346 running on gasoline then I have ever seen, period.
Later
Dan

Dan is that Redmax on a pipe or muffler. Might be time to have another meet on the fastest 346 class saws again. UHO open mouth insert foot.

Mark
I was sure that when I made that post that you would have some type of reply.
If you recall when we had one get together we had 346s there from 3 different builders. This saw is faster with a muffler then any of them, by far. I do have a pipe for the saw also. With the pipe on the saw, it is faster then any piped 346 that I have seen ( running on gas ).
When I get some free time I will set this saw up to run on Alcohol and let you know the results.
There very well may be a faster 346 out there then this 5000 but if there is, I never saw it.
Later
Dan

That is nice to here Dan that those saws are that fast , but if i remember right at that get together there were only 2 builders with modified 346's on gas you and Kenn's , the 346 that i put the pipe on was stock if you remember cause i showed you the ext. port with the muffler off, i did it just for a joke but it ran pretty good,
No Marky doesnot have his 346 yet ,i have it here and want to give it to him in person cause i want to see his face when he runs it and this little 346 kind of makes me feel good that i made it cause it does run, now i am not going to say it is as fast as Marks 357 when on muffler because we have never ran them together but i do know it is faster than Gypo's 357 and when on pipe it is only .15 to .2 behind the alcohol 346 before i put a head and turned her up some more , Mark's 346 is not a racesaw either it is a woodsaw , i cut 6 bushcord of wood with it in to 12 inch blocks at 1 time with it for the husky dealer here and Tony sat his saw down and threw the blocks away and watched

Dan that's good to know me by now and what I am going to do ahead of time. If you can predict the future should I keep my Dell stock or unload it and go for the pharmacutical sector.
I don't want to let anyone down here. I think you need a video cam so we can get this all down. PLus as an added Bonus We need some pics of erics chain. :rolleyes:

I am just wondering why it was Husky Dolmar and now Redmax. What is the cost of those saws? Are they 45cc like the 346 is. When is the next Get-together I want to be ready for the new saws I will have to run against. OR is it the flavor of the month in Pensiltucky. I remember when the 346xp hit sales were up now that you are dealing in the redmax is this another item we really need or is it a sales promotion to sell saws????

HI Ed
Yes you are correct. I should have said that there where ported saws there by two builders. That little stock piped 346 did work good for what it was. This little 5000 should be in the same ball park as your MM 346. I know that the 540 Dolmar that I built would run behind but close to the MM PP357. This 5000 is way faster then the 540 was. If I have another get together you will have to bring it along with you. Like I told you before, you can stay here and you are more then welcome here any time.
I don't know if they sell the RedMax saws in Canada or not but if you ever get a chance to look at one I suggest that you do it. My first thought was , its just another saw from Japan. I figured it would be slow and heavy and vibrate like heel. They do cut well in stock form and they have 8 antivibe mounts, 7 rubber and one steel spring. They a little larger engine then the 346, the 5000 is 49.7CC. You will like the dome on the piston and the hemispherical combustion chamber. The one I tested had 180 pounds of compression, out of the box.
Later
Dan

I for one am glad that there are open minds regarding equipment.

Was taught that people don't really buy names, but what it does.

Never thought covering ones eyes, or being an Ostrich was anything less than counterproductive. Like many American saw companies were.
Operative word....were.
I was one of two four guys 15 years ago who helped a one time great American saw company decide to stop building saws.
American Lombard, who used to sell engines even to Homelite.

Hurt to see that happen. But that's what happens when one becomes an Ostrich.

Many Japanese saws have been known as slower, a little heavier, but one thing they have taught alot of people is that they were reliable.

Ask Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln, Jaguar, about Infinity, Acura, Lexus.
Check many of the Gran Prix engines.

Check with "nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John", International Harvester, no make that Case, no make that ACCO, White, Ford, oops now it's New Holland, ask them what they think about Kubota.

Still remember at a big Ford car-truck-ag dealers open house 20 some years ago, where the Ford ag tractor people were on one side of the showroom, and the new Kubota people on the other. Air was so thick with distain, and disrespect for the Kubota people that a chain saw would had trouble cutting the air.

Dealer dropped Ford tractors over 10 years ago.

Don't for one second let the little part of the world we live in let you think,....this is all there is.

Knowing like Dozer Dan, aka Dan Henry, aka Dolmar Dan....a little about engines, I strongly suggest you check out what Dan has discovered. Never hurts to look & learn.

Craziest air filtration system you ever saw....almost Dust Free!

Patented engine designs way ahead of Stihl, and Husky.

They used to sell Stihl the powerhead for they're best trimmer they ever had. FS73 & FS83.

Sell engines to Shindiawa.

Now selling some old patented engine rights to other companies.

They don't even use catalytic mufflers to meet emissions!!!!!

They're part of a little company called Komatsu. Not only in construction & mining equipment (ask Catapillar), but rebuild jet aircraft engines, make most of they're own hydraulics, build a diesel powered, skid steer front mounted brush & tree mower looks like a bull dozer with a mower that will devour trees up to 6" all day long, but have a division of two cycle engines named Zenoah, aka Red Max.

"Competition will only make things better".

Last edited:
Mark- I think Dan is merely providing another option for people who want to explore the hot-running small saw market. Small saws are fun to play with and usually easier to work on.

Plus, if Dan is impressed with the engineering of the saw, I would have to say it must be a great design. Dan has seen the inside of 90% of modern saws ever produced, and the other 10% just weren't worth exploring. So, he if thinks it's a winner, then it is.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I think Mark would make a good Stucco man. You see, the trick to stucco is to throw a bunch of mud on the wall until some of it sticks. I'm usually pretty blind to subtle passive-aggressive insulting behavior, but even I can see that Mark is trying to find some way to discredit Dan. I'd think if he had a problem with Dan that he would just be a man and spit it out instead of this crap childish behavior.

So Mark- What is your problem?

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Mary Marks old posts, he certainly isn't a dummy.

I maybe off base, but is it possible that Mark's comments on Red Max & Dozer Dan are just to 'stir the pot', and force alot of info that normally would be lost, unread, or buried to be shared on Dan's new find of an old company that's been in the closet???????

I may have missed the base, hope not.
Have enjoyed both their posts.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I think Mark would make a good Stucco man. You see, the trick to stucco is to throw a bunch of mud on the wall until some of it sticks. I'm usually pretty blind to subtle passive-aggressive insulting behavior, but even I can see that Mark is trying to find some way to discredit Dan. I'd think if he had a problem with Dan that he would just be a man and spit it out instead of this crap childish behavior.

So Mark- What is your problem?

Well first off Rocky Stucco is not thrown it's placed on with a trowel. Nice and even, then it is worked with a whipper as we call it here. All my apartments are done like this so when I have to paint them I can get in and out with a sprayer in short order. Plus it makes it a little harder to get thumb tacks in.

So what's my deal, Hmm... it's such a long story I don't know if I have all day to type it but here's a little insight. Remember this is how I feel. Some people are not very faithful towards their socalled friends. I feel that some have used me for money and to bait other members. Call Dan and Eric then call me and I will give the real side of how they treat people, use them and Talk Behind there backs for starters.
There's a few others here that feel the same way about Dan and Eric.

NO I gave that Lathe away. FREE Just make the calls and then call me. I said this once and to Dan I should keep rednecks arms distance away. this way here you never get it. I am not trying to discredit him but he could of had the decency to call me after he and Eric's little game.

Mark,
I wouldn't bother explaining anything at this point. Nothing that you say here will change anyone's mind. Also, considering the intended audience, why would you even care? I certainly wouldn't waste the effort.

That's right Doug, we're beneath you. Doug or Mark call me and let me in on the secret, call collect if you wish. 845-831-6639

Sedan,
Do you have an inferiority complex? This isn't the first time you've siezed up over this kind of thing. I'm not referring to you, OK?

NOW HEAR THIS! THIS IS DOUG SPEAKING! I DON'T CONSIDER MYSELF ABOVE SEDANMAN!!!!!

Please try to control your emotional outbursts in the future. When you calm down, I'll give you a call.

Brian Fresk and Eric Copsey might be another story, but I don't let their behaving as if stupidity were a virtue bother me at all. Now that's a real example of a superiority thing.

Originally posted by Marky Mark
So what's my deal, Hmm... it's such a long story I don't know if I have all day to type it but here's a little insight. Remember this is how I feel. Some people are not very faithful towards their socalled friends. I feel that some have used me for money and to bait other members. Call Dan and Eric then call me and I will give the real side of how they treat people, use them and Talk Behind there backs for starters.
There's a few others here that feel the same way about Dan and Eric.

Ok Mark I will bite I have had a few AS Members call me this weekend wondering just what you are referring to, I just tell them I honestly don't have a clue and I am fairly sure you don't either.... I am sure it is just like the Nitro and the chain attacks you “DON'T KNOW”. So why not enlighten us all and tell us what your problem is, you seem to have one!
BTW I touched base with Ed he hopes my chains do well he is tired of chains and can make his $ porting.

Latest posts

Back