The One-Legged Tree Guy Answers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reban

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is from my husband, Alban the One-Legged Tree Guy --

First off, I would like to thank everyone who showed an interest in my wife's post. It seems I no longer have any excuses for not climbing. A date has been set, I'm getting a custom saddle from New Tribe, and on the 28th (probably) I'm getting closer to the sky again with the guidance of Tim Walsh (and possibly even Tom Dunlap, if he can make it). Again, I want to thank you all for your interest, and be assured that we will post some pics after the big day. I also want to thank my wonderful wife, without whom this couldn't have happened. This is the best birthday present ever!

See you in the canopy and may the Force be with me,
Alban

Every climber on here will be w you vicariously. Can t wait to see the pictures. You re incredibly lucky to have such a perceptive life mate.

I wish you the best and hope that all goes well and can't wait to see the pictures. As well you've got something special there and here as well. We're like a big family always willing to lend a hand.

Fun! I know people from across the boards have been wishing you well! Pulling together we can make just about anything happen! :rock:

neighbors

First off, I would like to thank everyone who showed an interest in my wife's post. It seems I no longer have any excuses for not climbing. A date has been set, I'm getting a custom saddle from New Tribe, and on the 28th (probably) I'm getting closer to the sky again with the guidance of Tim Walsh (and possibly even Tom Dunlap, if he can make it). Again, I want to thank you all for your interest, and be assured that we will post some pics after the big day. I also want to thank my wonderful wife, without whom this couldn't have happened. This is the best birthday present ever!

Alban

Check out the rec. climbing threads, we're practically neighbors!

I was lucky enough to meet Dr. Shigo before he died, and double lucky to meet Tim up there as well. Not only is he very knowledgeable, but you just know that anybody that wiry who keeps his gear in the back of his truck has got a thing or two to show you about climbing. Good luck, you can do it!

That is really neat.
I was biking up a large 2 thousand foot mounain(hill here), huffing, puffing...swearing and walking my bike uphill.

Then this dude with one leg comes out of nowhere, smokes by me and I was sucking his dust. I was inspired.

IF you can lift Tim's Saddle with all the gear he keeps on it, you are in better shape than most people. He does know what he is doing. We have climbed together before.

Bob,

Tim's been attending Arbo Weight Watchers...he climbs much lighter these days.

If things fall together correctly I'll head back from the Z133 committee meeting with Tim and climb with Alban and Rebecca the next weekend. We'll get lots of pictures!

Go for it!

As an aside I play hockey with "Donny" Wade who lost his entire arm to an auger accident while installing fences a few years back; he is on the national amputee team, and on several occasions some of his team mates have also played that are missing legs. One of the most impressive and inspirational feats on ice I ever have seen. These guys are really good and in most cases you would not have a clue that they were minus a limb. Humbling experience, especially when they score.

http://www.canadianamputeehockey.ca/

Last edited:
Nope, just an unknown (to the arborworld) Rebecca, who wants her husband to be able to climb again! :heart:

Here's hoping Tom can make it to climb with us...!

Rebecca

Alban climbs again

Alban

It all came together, Alban (and Rebecca) climbed last weekend! Tom Dunlap flew in from New Orleans to lead, OTG Boston (Greg) and I hosted the climb. Tim Walsh will be helping out on part 2 of the climb.

New Tribe built a custom harness for Alban and Tom rigged a RADS for Alban to climb on. We spent the day in a beautiful beech on a wooded rise overlooking Jamaica Pond in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. JP is a neighborhood of Boston. Alban's physical therapist and friends were in attendance. Comment overheard as OTG and Tom did the initial rope setup "Wow, these guys are real professionals". And that is so true.

Alban was all over the tree, did a long limbwalk and took out a dead hanger, made it look easy. It was an incredible day for all involved, here are some photos:

Alban going up RADS style
519275738_b2ed91e150.jpg

Tom and OTG talk things over, Alban is above near the top
519261760_f9e36a50f0.jpg

Alban limb walk
519298413_e9217127e8.jpg

Climb team: OTG Boston, Moss, Alban and Tom
519284242_aaa6eb4e72.jpg

More photos

-moss

Last edited:
Back