Stihl MS390 0iling problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Russell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The saw was a used one that I bought. Would not oil chain when cuting with it. Put a new oil pump in and cleaned out oil tank. Will oil a small amout of oil now. Not the amount of oil needed for chain. My repair manual reads (Place the press sleeve over the crankshaft stud tap the end of the press sleeve lightly to seat the pump housing) I did not do this. I do not have press sleeve.

I have a new oil pump assy, new pick up hoes, filter. __Need advice what to do to correct the problem :cheers:

Stihl
MS360
MS390
3-038
Mc200
Mc10-10
Mc250

Stihl MS390 oiling problem

A good question----Yes I set the pump full open and half open.

Thank's:cheers:

Well, I have never had problems with the 290 oiling, so I cannot help yah any more.

Now, with the 210-250 saws, I can tell yah all about the oil pumps, gears, and possible problems.

Where at in NC are you? If you are near Goldsboro ride over to Musgraves and see their saw mechanic he is great. If that is not an option try giving Lakeside andy a pm he is some what of an expert on Stihls.
Jared

The saw was a used one that I bought. Would not oil chain when cuting with it. Put a new oil pump in and cleaned out oil tank. Will oil a small amout of oil now. Not the amount of oil needed for chain. My repair manual reads (Place the press sleeve over the crankshaft stud tap the end of the press sleeve lightly to seat the pump housing) I did not do this. I do not have press sleeve.

I have a new oil pump assy, new pick up hoes, filter. __Need advice what to do to correct the problem :cheers:

Stihl
MS360
MS390
3-038
Mc200
Mc10-10
Mc250

Check the worm gear. If the tang is loose it will not oil very good or not at all. The worm gear is runned by the sprocket and in turn spins the oil pump. If that tang is slipping on the worm gear your oil pump is not being spun to pump oil....

Stihl
MS360
MS390
3-038
Mc200
Mc10-10
Mc250

What manual are you looking at???

One for a ms210/ms250??

Stihl MS390 oiling problem

Each answer or reason what the problem could be is or might correct it is good and appreciated.

Magnum 783
I am in Wilson, N.C. Twenty five miles from Goldsboro, N.C. Joe Musgraves a brother lives in Wilson.

Every idea or opinion that could help is imporant to me.

Thank's
:cheers:

stihl MS390

Fish

It is the Stihl Ms290 and Ms390 work shop manual. My parts for the saw came from a young man that lives in the Blue Grass state.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Where are you reading this "seating" of the oil pump?

If everything is new, except the worm/sprocket, then look at that closely.

With the pump out, did you blow through the passage to the bar?
Is the worm gear tang long enough?

If you bought the pump from me, it had a new worm gear.
Look at the nipple where the swing arm pushes onto, see if it is cracked.
Is the o-ring still on that nipple???

Young man?

I haven't said the word nipple this much in ten years!!

You must have bought the manual from someone else.......

What page, I have media cat's version still up on the other computer.

I have never seen this "seating" before. But then, I am just a youngster,
nipping at Andy's heels.

Speaking of Tarheels..............................

There aren't that many parts to the oiling system Jack. You have a oil hose and strainer in the oil tank itself, the oil pump, the connector to the case where the oil is fed to the bar and a worm gear with a metal tang on it. So really if you have a new oil hose and the strainer is clean that knocks out two of the of the 6 parts. The worm gear and tang is really just one part, if thats good your down to pump or connector. Last cause may be the oil passage near the bar on the case itself is clogged.

Stihl Ms390

Where are you reading this "seating" of the oil pump?

If everything is new, except the worm/sprocket, then look at that closely.

With the pump out, did you blow through the passage to the bar?
Is the worm gear tang long enough?

If you bought the pump from me, it had a new worm gear.
Look at the nipple where the swing arm pushes onto, see if it is cracked.
Is the o-ring still on that nipple???

Fish

It page 56 in manual. The manual did not come from you. All the parts are new Stihl parts complete oil pump assay (worm).

I owe you for the postage on the bar stud. Will you accept cash?

Thank's
:cheers:

What page, I have media cat's version still up on the other computer.

I have never seen this "seating" before. But then, I am just a youngster,
nipping at Andy's heels.

Speaking of Tarheels..............................

Good point. The only pumps I know of that seat are those pressed in the case like the 250/230/210/180/170. The 019T has that little screw type press in pump too, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I hate that saw..

There aren't that many parts to the oiling system Jack. You have a oil hose and strainer in the oil tank itself, the oil pump, the connector to the case where the oil is fed to the bar and a worm gear with a metal tang on it. So really if you have a new oil hose and the strainer is clean that knocks out two of the of the 6 parts. The worm gear and tang is really just one part, if thats good your down to pump or connector. Last cause may be the oil passage near the bar on the case itself is clogged.

Wow, he didn't say "nipple".........

Is the o-ring on "said" nipple?

I really like that word....................... Well in pairs.................

Except for ruminants......................................

But who is counting............

Page 56? My version deals with av mounts. I am curious though

Wow, he didn't say "nipple".........

Is the o-ring on "said" nipple?

I really like that word....................... Well in pairs.................

Except for ruminants......................................

But who is counting............

Page 56? My version deals with av mounts. I am curious though

Connector Fish, connector, seems to have less effect than nipple for some reason,LOL

Stihl MS390

Lightly tap to seat pump housing 10.4 page 56 is new to me. Every part is new and in perfect condition.

Is the problem the owner of the saw. (jack Leg):cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back