Stihl MS390 0iling problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS290's "connecter" doesn't respond too much to an ice cube though.

Like you said, there is not that many parts to the oiler system, so there must
be something not sealing, or something. My version of the manual does insist
on changing the o-rings every time it is apart, but with bar oil, I doubt it.

I am guessing there is some molten plastic, a hole or something.
Jackie, have you had it running with the bar off. Do you see bubbles in
what oil is coming out? Is it a Stihl bar? Have you tried some Marvel Mystery Oil? I hear it will take care of anything.................

Tap it toward the nipple?????
It just has 2 screws to hold it to the crankcase........

Tap it for good luck? The arm that connects to the nipple swivels so that the pump can be aligned to the housing. My manual says that it should "click" onto the nipple, err..... "connecter"...........

I know, you bought one of those "Chinese" manuals from certain "sponsers" here.................

Stihl Ms390

The MS290's "connecter" doesn't respond too much to an ice cube though.

Like you said, there is not that many parts to the oiler system, so there must
be something not sealing, or something. My version of the manual does insist
on changing the o-rings every time it is apart, but with bar oil, I doubt it.

I am guessing there is some molten plastic, a hole or something.
Jackie, have you had it running with the bar off. Do you see bubbles in
what oil is coming out? Is it a Stihl bar? Have you tried some Marvel Mystery Oil? I hear it will take care of anything.................

The small amount of oil that came out did have what looked like air bubbles:mad:

Good point. The only pumps I know of that seat are those pressed in the case like the 250/230/210/180/170. The 019T has that little screw type press in pump too, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I hate that saw..

Those (170-250 oil pumps) do not really 'seat' in place though. The oil pumps on these can be pressed in too far or even right through the sleeve. I made a depth gauge to check that they are pressed in far enough to center the pump gear on the oil drive gear. You can also pull the clutch to see if the oil pump is centered right on the drive gear.

The whole oil pump and plastic housed clutch/brake area is by far the BIGGEST FLAW and weakest area in these saws (well, other than the orange plastic handles that easilly break). The brake being set or binding will cause the plastic case to melt, including the oil feed tube in the housing. Clutch bearing failure will cause the clutch grenade the area and break it. Misuse or a failed $1 part can wreak a $300 saw in 10 minutes. :cry:

Those (170-250 oil pumps) do not really 'seat' in place though. The oil pumps on these can be pressed in too far or even right through the sleeve. I made a depth gauge to check that they are pressed in far enough to center the pump gear on the oil drive gear. You can also pull the clutch to see if the oil pump is centered right on the drive gear.

The whole oil pump and plastic housed clutch/brake area is by far the BIGGEST FLAW and weakest area in these saws (well, other than the orange plastic handles that easilly break). The brake being set or binding will cause the plastic case to melt, including the oil feed tube in the housing. Clutch bearing failure will cause the clutch grenade the area and break it. Misuse or a failed $1 part can wreak a $300 saw in 10 minutes. :cry:

But you are talking about the 021-025-210-250 series

Stihl MS390 oiling problem

It gives me great pleasure to inform you Guys the saw is oiling just perfect

Small pin head hole in oil pick up line. Air ( All new parts )

J W

:greenchainsaw:

Stihl MS390 oiling problem

Fish
Air was not the problem that saw was not oiling. Yes the line came from you. It had a very small grass seed in it blocking the flow of oil. The county Al Cult Dept. said it was a seed from Ky. blue grass. :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

All in Fun.

Thank's Guy's

J W :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Back