Chain throwing off -- 460 Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidhenderson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i understand that there has to be a certain amount of tension on a new chain, and i've read that each chain has a certain run-in or break-in period. however, i've ruined 2 chains over the course of less than 2 tanks of gas cutting very soft ponderosa pine. there is no visible slack in the chain. i've had a 350 for 4 years and never once thrown a chain. this 460 is practically new and i cant seem to keep a chain on. should i just be checking the tension after every single cut> :monkey: ????? thanks, david

Are you running the correct Gauge chain for your bar?

Is the bar straight, with a clean kerf?

Once a chain throws, it can become damaged, espcially the drive links...putting it back on can do harm to the bar, making new chains also throw.

i understand that there has to be a certain amount of tension on a new chain, and i've read that each chain has a certain run-in or break-in period. however, i've ruined 2 chains over the course of less than 2 tanks of gas cutting very soft ponderosa pine. there is no visible slack in the chain. i've had a 350 for 4 years and never once thrown a chain. this 460 is practically new and i cant seem to keep a chain on. should i just be checking the tension after every single cut> :monkey: ????? thanks, david

David.When you put the Bar and New Chain, Are you holding the end of the Bar up as you tighten up your bar nuts? If not, you have to do that.
I used to have a Homelite XL-76, that threw the odd chain, but they where not New Chains either. I found that the Bar Nuts where a little loose, and the bar dropped a little, and it threw the chain.
Have you by chance looked at the Thread I started about Breaking in A New Chain Saw Chain? I don't know if it will help, or it may help. Who know try and take a look.
I have done a lot of Research on Saw Chains, and this is what I have learned and found. I was also taught this by my Dad. Also my Great Uncle, taught me a lot about Chain Saws, and Chains. He was a General Mechanic by trade.
Bruce.

Are you running the correct Gauge chain for your bar?
Is the bar straight, with a clean kerf?

yes, and yes. its a brand new saw.

Once a chain throws, it can become damaged, espcially the drive links...putting it back on can do harm to the bar, making new chains also throw.

oh yeah, those 2 chains are thrashed. both had about 6-8 chewed up drive links.

Bruce, Thanks for your recommended reading. and I was lifting up on the bar while tightening the bar nuts, same as always. i guess its possible they werent tight enough...

"....those 2 chains are thrashed. both had about 6-8 chewed up drive link . . "

Depending how 'chewed' the drive links are, and where, you might be able to save the chains by touching up the drive links with a flat file.

Also, if they are new chains, you might have a dealer salvage and combine the undamaged links into one good chain for $5 to $10, compared to $20 something for a new chain; takes a little of the bite, and some of the expense from a bad experience.

Philbert

Back